Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2021, 12:29 PM   #1

K-S2 intervalometer

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all,

Has anyone had success with an intervalometer for the K-S2? My use case is for a train of exposures over 30 s. I am aware of the image sync app (bulb exposures or 30 s) and the built-in 30 s limitation. I don’t want to tether to a computer. Any options? Thanks for your help!

07-24-2021, 02:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Not owning this model, I had a browse through the owner's manual, but there doesn't seem to be any facility for connecting a cable release, so the only opportunities for an intervalometer would seem to be either use of the Image Sync app, which I'm unfamiliar with, not owning a "smart" 'phone, or some sort of mechanical arrangement to either depress the shutter button on a regular basis or activate the infra-red remote control. Bearing in mind that the infra-red port is only on the front of this model, some sort of mirror arrangement would have to be made to operate the camera from behind if required.
If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could possibly lash something up using a third-party intervalometer wired to the button on an i/r control.
Presumably the built-in "Interval Shooting" option in the "Drive Modes" is unsuitable for your application?
Could be one of those instances where "if I wanted to go there, I wouldn't start from here", I'm afraid … tempted to suggest the acquisition of a more suitable body, but appreciate that is probably extensive over-kill
Good luck

Last edited by kypfer; 07-24-2021 at 02:15 AM. Reason: afterthought
07-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Kypfer for the response. I do have an IR relay so maybe I can look into something like that - I’ll need to see if one of my older phones has an IR blaster.

Is there really no other solution that doesn’t require some combination of weird parts? Maybe I’ll check online again for an IR intervalometer…
07-25-2021, 12:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sneeds Quote
Thanks Kypfer for the response. I do have an IR relay so maybe I can look into something like that - I’ll need to see if one of my older phones has an IR blaster.

Is there really no other solution that doesn’t require some combination of weird parts? Maybe I’ll check online again for an IR intervalometer…
The potential problem with any third-party i/r device is that the codes used by Pentax cameras are Pentax-specific, though, as far as I am aware, all Pentax DSLRs that have i/r control capability use the same controller, so the device needs to be designed for or capable of being programmed for Pentax cameras. This sort of thing Remote Control for Pentax K500 K30 K-3 K7 K5 K-m Q7 Kr K-7 K3 K50 K-50 K-01 K-S1 | eBay does work and is cheap, but will need further adaption to connect an intervalometer.

07-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sneeds Quote
Any options? Thanks for your help!
You sole option is to leverage the IR remote feature of your camera operating in B mode and that being triggered by phone app or something else that supports Pentax IR. If you have a phone with an IR blaster a possible solution might be the DSLR Remote app for Android. It has an interval exposure feature and would be able to do what you want with the camera "B" mode configured to type 2.

DSLR Remote - Apps on Google Play

Steve
08-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
Sounds good, thanks everyone.