Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2021, 11:37 AM - 9 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-S2 coming in...

I have 2 K-S1 at this point... one blue which I fixed the solenoid and damaged the camera shell just a little bit, but not bad at all. And one gunmetal silver, who used to belong to two people that are quite known here in the forums... it was given to me because it has electronic issues, and the mount is a bit loose on the lenses... but still takes gorgeous pictures and looks really good with old lenses as well. So it's getting use from me

I also have a K-3, and a couple of CCD cameras that I love (K200D especially, and also a K10D).

And I briefly owned a K-S2, which was given to me so I would see if I could fix it with a good solenoid, and that did not fix it, as it had a lot of other issues in the board. So I gave it away for parts.

And I have another K-S2 coming in now... cosmetically it's not mint, but it's only got about 1,600 shots. The story here is that while I love the output of that 20MP sensor and engine in the K-S1, I just can't get what I want out of the K-3 files in terms of color and rendering... which is a big part of what I do. Same with skin tones.

So I sold the K-3.... and bought a K-S2 That way I now have a WR camera with the RAW files that I really like to work with. And as I said in the K-S1 pictures thread... I'm never afraid of shooting ISO 3200 with the 20MP sensor! Not so much with the K-3... and the K-S1/K-S2 JPEG files can also be used quite easily as they are very good - not so with the K-3, I could not get the JPEG engine to give me files to my liking. I'm sure it's just me and the K-3 not getting along, but that's solved now as the K-S2 is coming in. And I've changed the solenoid on one of my K-S1, so if I have to, I can do the same with the K-S2.

It should be here next week...

11-16-2021, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have one on the way as well. I liked the k-s1 for a lot of reasons including the sensor and its overall size, but the missing features were too much to bear for me.

You're at risk of becoming a "k-s2 resource" - but I'll try not to be a pest.
11-16-2021, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote

And I have another K-S2 coming in now... cosmetically it's not mint, but it's only got about 1,600 shots.
QuoteOriginally posted by cowlitzJim Quote
I have one on the way as well.
Congrats to both of you, I've never owned one, but I bought one for work a few years ago and used it a lot. It always outperformed a twice as expensive and newer Canon we had. Excellent camera.
11-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cowlitzJim Quote
I have one on the way as well. I liked the k-s1 for a lot of reasons including the sensor and its overall size, but the missing features were too much to bear for me.

You're at risk of becoming a "k-s2 resource" - but I'll try not to be a pest.
Oh it's no problem at all!

I found this the other day - hopefully it's helpful. But please post questions here in the forums, we are a friendly bunch (most of the time )

11-16-2021, 04:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Odd, there is still one K-S2 , brand new , available on Amazon.com.au site @ AU$849

I never used one but still have K-S1 and still enjoy it.
11-16-2021, 06:02 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I've got a K-S2, and it is small ... it's like a successor to the K-x I still have.
11-16-2021, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've got a K-S2, and it is small ... it's like a successor to the K-x I still have.
I really enjoyed the form factor of the K-r (I think it's the same body as the K-x). I only had my previous K-S2 for a brief period - like I said I was trying to fix it, so never really took it out to shoot. It felt good, a bit different from the K-50 which is also a pretty nice form factor. It felt a bit more solid.

The K-3 is a nice, solid guitar. A bit on the heavy side for me, but I wouldn't have minded that if I enjoyed the results a bit more. The one thing I'll miss for sure, is the very smooth and pretty quiet shutter.

11-16-2021, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-3 is a nice, solid guitar.
Yes, it's a Les Paul, the K-S2 a Telecaster.
11-16-2021, 09:08 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, it's a Les Paul, the K-S2 a Telecaster.
I do play a Les Paul quite a lot these days. But also love my Strats which are even lighter than my Tele, would that be my K-S1?

I have no idea why I said a nice, solid guitar instead of camera. It's late here and I'm studying some songs, that is my excuse
11-16-2021, 09:16 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I do play a Les Paul quite a lot these days.
Do you play gigs standing up? How's your shoulder after a couple of hours?

I'm just a classic bedroom noodler. I have a red wine 90's Japanese Les Paul ripoff with Seymour Duncan Designeds, lighter than the real thing with lots of cutaways, for which I'm grateful.

I've also got a greenish 90's Korean Ibanez SSH clone, but I got the humbucker's coils split to get something like a Strat/Tele sound from the bridge.
11-16-2021, 09:41 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Do you play gigs standing up? How's your shoulder after a couple of hours?

I'm just a classic bedroom noodler. I have a red wine 90's Japanese Les Paul ripoff with Seymour Duncan Designeds, lighter than the real thing with lots of cutaways, for which I'm grateful.

I've also got a greenish 90's Korean Ibanez SSH clone, but I got the humbucker's coils split to get something like a Strat/Tele sound from the bridge.
I play at church these days (my forum name is ChristianRock because my name is indeed Christian, but I also play Christian music, and have a lifelong rock obsession ) - so usually only 20 minutes at a time but a 2+ hour rehearsal can get the shoulders a bit tired...

I had many Ibanez guitars... still have a 7-string with a mahogany body (Japanese S7420). And a Frankentele and Frankenstrat... putting together another Frankenstrat before the end of the year.

But this Les Paul is special, I got this Brazilian 70s Les Paul copy as a teenager because a friend had it and I thought it sounded fantastic... and had the neck break off when in a flight 3 years later... so with my rock star aspirations I decided to have a luthier re-build it the way I wanted it... with a Strat-length scale (25.5"). Scalloped starting at the 6th fret.
Before this I had re-designed the electronics to something I have never seen anywhere else - instead of tone buttons I put in pickup 3-way switches for the two individual pickups, in the same way a Les Paul pickup switch works. Switch up, I have one of the single coils; in the middle I have a humbucker, and switch down I have the other single coil. I use one of the neck single coils quite a lot, and I get some interesting out of phase sounds that sound almost acoustic when combining single coils from each pickup together.
It has had Seymour Duncans in it for well over 30 years (JB and Holdsworth models), but this year I put in a pair of Korean zebra Alnico 2 scatter-wound pickups that sound really wonderful, and I feel it's finally complete.

And here it is, taken with a K-S1 just to keep it remotely on topic SOOC Jpeg, HD DA 21.

Yes I know, the hardware colors don't really match all that well... it's basically a "PartsPaul".... lol but it does have a set neck.
11-17-2021, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Like it, so much personality!

A lot of church players seem to like to cut through the mix with a Tele or a Strat or a Gretsch (I guess trying to outshine the keyboardist!) ... I can see that being able to split the coils will do for a fabulous Les Paul.
11-21-2021, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Smart move on the KS2 !
Let's just say I have more than one....lol.
My favorite camera....for good reason.
11-22-2021, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Like it, so much personality!

A lot of church players seem to like to cut through the mix with a Tele or a Strat or a Gretsch (I guess trying to outshine the keyboardist!) ... I can see that being able to split the coils will do for a fabulous Les Paul.
Indeed Keyboards are typically the loudest thing in a church band...

The secret (I think) of cutting through with a humbucker guitar is to have low-output 50's style PAF pickups. Ideally Gibson, and scatter-wound (meaning, hand wound and not wound by a machine - if the wound is too tight it cuts highs). These Korean pickups I have on the Les Paul are basically scatter-wound Pearly Gates Alnico II copies. I love them. In my Franken-Tele which is a 70s style with 2 humbuckers, I have two chinese PAF Alnico II pickups but I'm thinking I should put these Korean pickups on that guitar as well! And wire a couple coil switches

Even my 7-string Ibanez has medium output pickups. But when I use it which is not that often, to cut through I'll use position 2 a lot (two single coils from each pickup, out of phase).
11-22-2021, 06:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Smart move on the KS2 !
Let's just say I have more than one....lol.
My favorite camera....for good reason.
So you like it better than your KP? I'm curious as to why. I also reasoned that I liked the output of the 20MP sensor better, but most people seem to think the KP output is better.

I'm liking what I see out of the 26MP sensor in the K-3III... reminds me of the K10D sensor output in a lot of ways (at base ISO).