Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2021, 12:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good example what happens if the solenoidrepair is done wrong (but odd claims)

In the "Repair and Warranty Service" thread a new member opened a thread about his frustration how his K-S2 was repaired after it obviously developed ABF:
KS2 repair frustrations - PentaxForums.com

The interesting part is that the repairers claimed that they exchanged the complete diaphragm-control-unit (which nobody with a little bit of intelligence and knowledge would take on because the repair can be achieved much much more simply as most here by now know)... but actually I am almost certain that all they did was
to file/sand/grind the plunger!

And thus the said K-S2 now developed the opposite: ABOE (Aperture-Block-Over-Enthusiasm), i.e. over-exposed photos.

The other interesting part is that there are still those who mix up a simple diode with a resistor... but for sure haven't touched any resistor (because there is none)
nor the diode (because it never goes wrong!)

... as explained in the thread itself!

12-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The interesting part is that the repairers claimed that they exchanged the complete diaphragm-control-unit (which nobody with a little bit of intelligence and knowledge would take on because the repair can be achieved much much more simply as most here by now know)
But doesn't the 'official' repair procedure depend on the repair centre's access to replacement parts? Perhaps the available replacement part is the complete assembly rather than an individual solenoid.

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I am almost certain that all they did wasto file/sand/grind the plunger!
I believe that PF member @SharkyCA had a similar diaphragm control problem in their K-70, and the repair involved the replacement of the complete control block, performed by the same Canadian repair centre I believe. They returned the original block to SharkyCA: Pentax K-70 dark photos - Page 3 - PentaxForums.com

- Craig
12-01-2021, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #3

I inquired through a proxy that at the time could still buy parts from Pentax / Ricoh. The solenoid is not sold separately (even though it has a separate part number) - only with the entire Diaphragm Block Assembly.

If you look back on all the posts when the problem was repaired by factory authorized repair services and the work was listed they all mention replacing the aperture/diaphragm control block. This would seem to be the factory approved repair of the problem.

The official factory authorized repair center for Canada is Sun Camera Service in Concord, Ontario on Steeles Ave. It is unclear if the camera in question was repaired by Sun Camera Service or some other company.

Given Ricoh's prohibition on selling parts to non-factory service centers, at least the US, if the repair was not done by a Ricoh approved center all bets are off.

If the repair was done by Sun Camera Service its possible they just botched the repair. Such things happen.

This thread is redundant with the earlier thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/189-repairs-warranty-service/434612-ks2-...strations.html

Please confine discussion there.

Last edited by Not a Number; 12-01-2021 at 03:03 PM.
12-01-2021, 09:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I inquired through a proxy that at the time could still buy parts from Pentax / Ricoh. The solenoid is not sold separately (even though it has a separate part number) - only with the entire Diaphragm Block Assembly.
This is not the case at all.
The solenoid is sold spearately and has been installed in numerous cases into Pentax bodies since it became obvious that it is only the solenoid.
1. I have seen invoices stating that (Germany)

2. I have seen and repaired Pentax bodies which had prior been repaired at official repair shops with both, the complete block or just the solenoid but which failed again
after the 1 year warranty.

Official repairshops get paid if work has to be done under warranty.
If they replace the whole block they get paid more.

Ah, I almost forgot:
One famous seller in Germany sells Pentax bodies which had been sent back with fault and then have been repaired.
Repaired by Ricoh! They are offered with full warranty. I had 2 of their cameras on my work-bench.
It was obvious that not the complete block was replaced but just the solenoid.
But the solenoid was slightly modified so the holding force wasn't that strong anymore!

12-03-2021, 01:32 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Some other thoughts about this matter:

1. Before WE (here in this forum*) found out that the main culprit was only the solenoid itself ( i.e. before Ricoh or authorized repairshops did!)
Ricoh (and repairshops) thought it was the complete diaphragm control block!

*well, actually not all here: Some tried to play it down or to deflect, you might well remember that!

During those early years (i.e. until about Dec. 2015 when Ricoh had found out as well and started to use a modified solenoid)
it literally hailed defunct Pentax K30's, K50's and K500's.
I would now say it almost gets every 2.nd Pentax of those years using a solenoid, possibly even more!

So Ricoh and the repairshops had to act and they just simply ordered that diaphragm-control-block so they could act quickly!

But then ... after we (here in this our forum) found out that it was just the solenoid and that replacing that green China-Solenoid with the DLSR white Japan-Solenoid was the true way to go...

.... AND (!!!) authorized repair-placed would not use that very best solenoid many went the DIY way!

Everybody having studies this knows that the DSLR Japan-Solenoid wasn't manufactured anymore, could only be found in older Pentax DSLR bodies or on ebay

But:
Authorized repairshops cannot or are not willing to give warranty on 2-nd hand parts, i.e. the Japan-Solenoid.

Moreover:
3. Authorized repairshops + Ricoh most likely sat an a huge stock of diaphragm-control-blocks and ... business ahoy....
want to use those and... possibly charge for those (particular as it "hails more money")

SO:
I question very strongly that Ricoh or the authorized repair-places would not be able to buy "just the solenoid"!!!
That to me is a fairy-tale and if Ricoh Germany, France etc. can get it.... it would be the "joke of the year*" if Ricoh USA could not get it.
I know one can get it for sure ... it is available and I can prove it!

Original Pentax Solenoid as in K-70: Price within the EU € 28 + VAT + shipping
Now... thats the retail price! Not the price Ricoh buys it of course.

*or better "alternative fact of the year"!

Last edited by photogem; 12-03-2021 at 04:07 AM.