Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2022, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
From someone who almost bought a KP instead of the K-S2... I'd be very interested in your thoughts on both. Do you end up using the KP more because it has no solenoid issue? If both worked well, which one do you think you would use most and how do they compare?
You didn’t ask me, but I would like to address your question.
I did purchase a KP instead of the K-70 specifically because of the “solenoid issue”, so I would have used the K-70 ‘exclusively’ if it weren’t for the “solenoid issue”. The KP is heavier; at my age {mid 70’s}, I very much notice it.

11-09-2022, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You didn’t ask me, but I would like to address your question.
I did purchase a KP instead of the K-70 specifically because of the “solenoid issue”, so I would have used the K-70 ‘exclusively’ if it weren’t for the “solenoid issue”. The KP is heavier; at my age {mid 70’s}, I very much notice it.
I think it is something completly different Christian is after:
The sensor of the K-S2 which could be a Samsung-sensor (as possibly in the K-S1):
K-S1 and K-S2 - Samsung Sensor? - PentaxForums.com
11-11-2022, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

Original Poster
From someone who almost bought a KP instead of the K-S2... I'd be very interested in your thoughts on both. Do you end up using the KP more because it has no solenoid issue? If both worked well, which one do you think you would use most and how do they compare?
Wow! That’s a tough question!! If the solenoid would not have failed on the KS2, I would be happily using that camera without a care in the world! It is a “Mary Poppins” camera, practically perfect in every way! Size, weight, IQ, speed, grip, design, flippy screen, etc.

However, I am now conflicted since getting the KP in 2020! The KP is even better and “more perfect”! Better build, DR, ISO capability, handling, more customizable, cool retro design, choice of grips ( I use the medium one). Overall, I think the KP is the best camera between the two.

If (when?) I repair the KS2, I will most likely use the KP the vast majority of the time. It’s simply a better camera. The reason I can’t seem to let the KS2 go, is that it just feels right in my hand! My son has a K70, and the grip is too deep, it just feels awkward. Conversely, the KS2 feels as if it was made for my hand. After I got used to the medium grip on the KP, that one now is very comfortable!

So, I’m conflicted, as I said, because I like them both very much, and really only got the KP because I wanted a bit more reliability after the solenoid failed in the KS2.
11-11-2022, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't directly answer that but I can say that I didn't like the 20mp sensor data that I saw published. The Dynamic Range and noise of that sensor wasn't as good as the 24mp K-3 sensor unlike expectations. I also handled a K-S2 a few times and I disliked the way it handled - I can't put my finger on it - the menus were slightly different than my K-3 and I just didn't love it. I stuck with the K-3 until the KP was at closeout pricing.

The cameras I have loved the most however ALL have a tilting screen - Panasonic GX7, Olympus OMD-EM1, Pentax KP, Sony A7R III, Sony RX100 IV. The Panasonic GX9 is the only fully articulating screen camera I have ever owned and I really disliked the way you use that kind of screen. I had many fixed screen cameras and all were fine but I like the tilt option a lot. The newest A7R V has a screen that articulates and tilts a bit different and I might like that but I'm not running out to spend $3800 on that feature!

11-11-2022, 02:09 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Wow! That’s a tough question!! If the solenoid would not have failed on the KS2, I would be happily using that camera without a care in the world! It is a “Mary Poppins” camera, practically perfect in every way! Size, weight, IQ, speed, grip, design, flippy screen, etc.

However, I am now conflicted since getting the KP in 2020! The KP is even better and “more perfect”! Better build, DR, ISO capability, handling, more customizable, cool retro design, choice of grips ( I use the medium one). Overall, I think the KP is the best camera between the two.

If (when?) I repair the KS2, I will most likely use the KP the vast majority of the time. It’s simply a better camera. The reason I can’t seem to let the KS2 go, is that it just feels right in my hand! My son has a K70, and the grip is too deep, it just feels awkward. Conversely, the KS2 feels as if it was made for my hand. After I got used to the medium grip on the KP, that one now is very comfortable!

So, I’m conflicted, as I said, because I like them both very much, and really only got the KP because I wanted a bit more reliability after the solenoid failed in the KS2.
Thank you... I think that confirms my gut feeling - image quality wise, the K-S2 is fine (Dynamic Range is another issue, but I don't feel like the K-S2 holds me back at all). And it likely handles better... though I haven't held a KP in my hands.
I'm in no rush to get away form the K-S2... I even have a white solenoid in my drawer, in case I ever need it and my K-S1 has the white solenoid already.

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I think it is something completly different Christian is after:
The sensor of the K-S2 which could be a Samsung-sensor (as possibly in the K-S1):
K-S1 and K-S2 - Samsung Sensor? - PentaxForums.com
Well, sensor origins aside, yes I do like the output of the 20MP better than the 24MP that I had with the K-3... especially with colors, but I think micro-contrast is also better. Or something I can't quite put my finger on. I'll just leave it at "personal taste" I guess

But sometimes I catch myself thinking, what if I had tried the KP, am I missing out on something? Looking at results from both cameras, I think I am ok... both are great, and I know the 20MP sensor well. I like it almost as much as the 10MP CCD
11-12-2022, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have only the K-S1 for comparison.
I had a few K-S2's for repair but never worked for a longer time with them because I didn't want to add shuttercount for their owners.
But you know the difference between both, which aside of the menu and the lack of the 2-nd control menu will be Low-Light AF which the K-S2 shares with the K5II/s.

As my wife uses 2 x the K-S1 I have some comparison and I like the picture quality of the K-S1 very much, more I don't need.
My KP has other advantages: Fantastic Low-Light AF, better SR so handheld the possibility to do photos with 1/15sec., something very important to me because I avoid flash as much as I can.

The photos done with the K-S1 have a very natural quality.
If JPEG is what one prefers then the KP is a bit better, I think it is #1 concerning it's JPEG-Engine. But the K-S1 is close, damn close.
It is so good that aside of lacking WR I could live with it as a sole DSLR.
And it is wonderful small, a great partner for the Limiteds as well.
01-02-2023, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The KP is heavier; at my age {mid 70’s}, I very much notice it.
It is actually about the same as the K-70. With battery installed, the KP is 24.80 oz. vs. 24.27 oz. for the K-70. Well under 1 oz. difference out of 25 oz. The feel of the KP, however, will convey an impression of more solidity, because it is that. A remarkable build for such a compact design.

I don't own a K-70, but I do own the KP and the K-S2- bought first, both bought new. The K-S2 is a bit lighter than the K-70 or the KP at 23.92 oz. But all are within 1 oz. of each other. The KP's hight on paper is exaggerated because of the flash housing coming to a point, while that of the other two are rounded. K-S2 is notably the smallest. It is truly a mighty-mouse among DSLR cameras, in features and in performance. I was using the DA 20-40mm Ltd and other fine lenses with it before getting the KP, and it delivered fine results. Excellent features and design, and pretty good handling, despite such smallness. After finally getting the KP, however, its superiority soon became evident, incredible at higher ISO, and I have been ecstatic over it ever since. But the K-S2 is still so good I have no hesitation taking it out when I need its unique feature set. I am hopeful for its solenoid to hold up.

Another real surprise has been how well the 16mp K-5 IIs still performs by comparison! Still excellently detailed imaging, and it holds detail very well up into the ISO range, even better than the well-performing K-S2 in that regard, though the K-S2 noise there is a bit smoother. No wonder I still like shooting with this now-ancient 12 year-old model! And it works my power-zoom lenses beautifully with blazingly fast AF!

But the KP rules for my APS-C usage.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-02-2023 at 09:04 PM.
01-27-2023, 12:53 PM - 2 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

The K-S1 and K-S2 have - in my humble opinion - the best modern era sensors of any Pentax camera. I haven't seen output from the newer cameras that makes me go "this is better than what I can get from my K-S1/2". AF and other features, sure. But sensor output? I'll stick with these two. They are very much worth maintaining in working status. ISO up to 3200 where the noise cleans up well without much detail loss, and is actually pleasing if any stays in the picture.
03-10-2023, 06:11 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Ouch! I ordered mine from randr2012. I was going by the reviews where some said they used the part and their camera was fixed. I guess these were fake reviews. Is there a way to tell visually if these are the incorrect parts?? I guess I should have left well enough alone and used my KS2 as an all manual camera. I hope I didn’t get scammed. The solenoid should be here in a couple weeks I will have to wait until then.
Hi, did your part arrive and did it work?
03-14-2023, 05:35 AM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jester002 Quote
Hi, did your part arrive and did it work?
Yes, the part arrived on time. I still haven’t repaired the KS2 yet. I plan on doing it in the next few months after I get a soldering iron and some JIS drivers. I prioritized investing in some Limited lenses, so my funds are low at the moment!!

ADDENDUM: I just read the posts by randr2012 about the solenoid he sourced. Although it the one I got from him is likely an SLR solenoid, after reading that his K50 is still good after 80k + actuations makes me more eager to repair my KS2 to confirm that it works! I will get to it as soon as I can and report back here on the Forums!

Last edited by que es tu; 03-14-2023 at 09:00 AM.
04-13-2023, 11:34 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Anyone else here trying to keep your solenoid from failing?

I already changed the solenoid in my K-S1 and my other K-S1 and K-50 never gave me problems. Now my K-S2 started giving a dark frame in the first picture last week, and I've been using it daily to see how long I can get the solenoid to keep working. If I use the camera a lot, the next day the frame is barely any darker. If I don't use quite as much then it's darker, but the 2nd frame is always fine.

I already have a white solenoid that is ready to go in, but I find it interesting to find out how long I can keep using the camera before I have to fix it. Anyone else done this before?
04-13-2023, 06:51 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone else here trying to keep your solenoid from failing?

I already changed the solenoid in my K-S1 and my other K-S1 and K-50 never gave me problems. Now my K-S2 started giving a dark frame in the first picture last week, and I've been using it daily to see how long I can get the solenoid to keep working. If I use the camera a lot, the next day the frame is barely any darker. If I don't use quite as much then it's darker, but the 2nd frame is always fine.

I already have a white solenoid that is ready to go in, but I find it interesting to find out how long I can keep using the camera before I have to fix it. Anyone else done this before?
Usually when it starts like you describe it will get worse sooner or later.
As it was with your K-S1 the K-S2 (and K-70) the front part and top part are kind of clipped together more tight than the K30/K50!
It is particular that region below the ON/OFF-Shutterrelease-button and the Front-E-Dial.
A plastic spudger if of good help there!
04-13-2023, 07:48 PM   #58
Pentaxian

The K-S1 failed in 2 days basically. This is taking a lot longer...
04-14-2023, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-S1 failed in 2 days basically. This is taking a lot longer...
The K-S1 had only Generation 1 solenoids built in as introduced in 2014. I had a lot of K-S1's for solenoid repair on my workbench, there wasn't one

which was built after Dec. 2015 when the 2nd. generation solenoid was introduced.

You can find that out here:
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

My own observation:

- 58% being built after 12/2015 (K50: 10% after)

- 42% before (Solenoid Gen.1) (K50: 90% before)
04-20-2023, 12:47 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, bad news. I was out with my ABF KS2 and FA 28-80 just casually taking photos, when I hit the green button to meter, no sound happened as it usually does. I went ahead and pressed the shutter button and no mirror movement and no shutter sound! The image was recorded, but it was completely black. I tried mirror up, and the mirror would not move. I tried sensor cleaning, and the mirror is immobile!! No live view, no shutter, no mirror movement! I think my KS2 is finally dead. Almost 36,000 shutter actuations. I was about to attempt a solenoid repair, but I guess I have deeper issues now!