Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2022, 07:56 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
White solenoid for KS2

Well I finally did it! I just ordered a white solenoid for my injured KS2! I have been putting it off for about 18 months or so, and after getting 2 FA lenses so I could use the aperture ring l remembered how much I enjoy the KS2. I also have the KP which I bought when the KS2 “broke”. Now I just have to get a set of JIS drivers and a soldering iron. Oh yeah, I also will need the nerve to do it!!! I will let you all know how it turns out!

Last edited by que es tu; 02-10-2022 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Spelling
02-06-2022, 08:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good luck! I got my JIS drivers on Amazon. I used them on another project. The ones I got are here:

Hozan JIS-4 JIS Screwdriver Set (New 3rd. Gen) (Japan Import) amazon.com: Hozan JIS-4 JIS Screwdriver Set (New 3rd. Gen) (Japan Import) : Tools & Home Improvement?tag=pentaxforums-20&
02-06-2022, 08:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Good luck! I got my JIS drivers on Amazon. I used them on another project. The ones I got are here:

Hozan JIS-4 JIS Screwdriver Set (New 3rd. Gen) (Japan Import) amazon.com: Hozan JIS-4 JIS Screwdriver Set (New 3rd. Gen) (Japan Import) : Tools & Home Improvement?tag=pentaxforums-20&
Cool! Thank you! Just like the old Johnny Cash song I’ll get it “one piece at a time”!
02-06-2022, 08:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Well I finally did it! I just ordered a white solenoid for my injured KS2! I have been putting it off for about 18 months or so, and after getting 2 FA lenses so I could use the aperture ring l remembered how much I enjoy the KS2. I also have the KP which I bought when the KS2 “broke”. Now I just have to get a set of JID drivers and a soldering iron. Oh yeah, I also will need the nerve to do it!!! I will let you all know how it turns out!
where did you manage to find white solenoid?
I was told that they are not available new any more?
I have unhappy K-30 & K-50

02-06-2022, 08:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
where did you manage to find white solenoid?
I was told that they are not available new any more?
I have unhappy K-30 & K-50
I had to find one used on eBay which was part of the reason I took so long to start fixing my camera. I am wary of internet buying. I bought the last that the seller had, but they regularly pop up, but sell out quickly. No, they are not available new and must be “harvested” from old cameras. I found the site on the tutorial for DIY repair of the KS2 here on the Forums. I don’t know how to get the link on my post, but search “white solenoid for KS2” and it will show up.
02-06-2022, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did my KS2 in 2020. You only need the small JIS screwdirvers: "00" and "0". The soldering is of 2 thin wires off and to their respective small posts. You don't need anything fancy, anything that can do a bit of small electrical component soldering with a relatively small tip (1-2mm) will do - even eg one of those cheap USB ones.
Just be methodical, with photogems prescription to hand as refereence, you'll be fine its not a difficult job.
If you are new to soldering, then have a quick browse of some intro YouTube videos. The post and wire end are already tinned, you can apply a little more but being small/thin they don't hold much solder anyway. Tweak and position the wire so it tends to push against the post. Have a little solder on the iron tip - vital for good thermal conductivity - but not too much, risk of a blob dropping off into the camera. If you set up good then the soldering moment itself is just holding the iron (use a block or some books to rest your wrist on if you are a bit shaky) against the post + wire end for a second or so until the heat does its job, the solder on them melts and they merge together - done!

Last edited by marcusBMG; 02-06-2022 at 10:41 AM.
02-06-2022, 09:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I did my KS2 in 2020. You only need the small JIS screwdirvers: "00" and "0". The soldering is of 2 thin wires off and to their respective small posts. You don't need anything fancy, anything that can do a bit of small electrical component soldering with a relatively small tip (1-2mm) will do - even eg one of those cheap USB ones.
Okay it looks like I can get a JIS set for $20 and a soldering iron for $20 too. I will start on those after the solenoid arrives.

02-06-2022, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only got one JIS screwdriver, a Moody #2063, JIS-S, 1.5mm, #000 from Amazon for 10€ including shipping.

I think the manual says you can use a Philips head for the solenoid screw? I think I used a small precision screwdriver with Philips head for that then...

I had tried a Philips screwdriver on one screw of my donor body and decided then that I would invest in the JIS type because the Philips would have needed way too much force to get any grip, the JIS doesn't need any pressure at all.

Good luck and steady hands I used a "third hand" clamp to hold the cables and a book to rest my hand on for better stability.
02-06-2022, 09:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@que es tu: Good luck!
I recommend the Vessel 9902 JIS screwdriver-set, it is far superior to the Moody set.
The Moody-set looks nice but when I first got it years ago it turned out to be just PH but named JIS.
Maybe they changed that.

The Vesselset is much shorter as well but you want the length of Vessel

@ehrwien

A proper JIS 00 or 0 will work for the solenoid-screws, that is the good thing about Vessel, they fit that well.
PH works but it is then a must to use PH000 for the solenoid screw, a PH00 would destroy it (which a JIS 0 won't, it fits as perfect as the JIS 00)

The 3rd hand clamp hint is misleading for soldering wires!

One unsolderes first the wires off the solenoid while it is still fixed in the Pentax, no matter which one!
Then one unscrews it.
Then one inserts the Japan solenoid and screws it in tightly.
Then only one solderes the wires back on (no need for a 3rd hand clamp, it is not possible)
I guess you used the 3.rd hand for unsoldering the wires of your donor solenoid?

@i-trax: IMO a misleading message about non-availability of the Japan-DSLR-solenoid and that somebody told you that because actually it was different/the opposite

(as it was me quite HERE post #13 in this thread you started!)

You where given the same link on ebay.com which I always gave here in this forum of the seller potmano, located in California USA who sells the correct Japan DSL solenoid on ebay.com.

There are at the moment 2 solid/safe solenoid sources, one on ebay.com (seller potmano) and the other on ebay Kleinanzeigen Germany.
The other ones: One source on ebay UK (seller randr2012) and one on ebay.de (not to be mixed up with ebay Kleinanzeigen Germany) which are tricky offerings, i.e. SLR solenoids and not DSLR! The German sellers (kilo404) kind of admits this at least, the UK seller doesn't but stopped selling them.
But another offers it now on ebay UK with an iffy text.
02-06-2022, 10:32 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote

@i-trax: IMO a misleading message about non-availability of the Japan-DSLR-solenoid and that somebody told you that because actually it was different/the opposite

You where given the same link on ebay.com which I always gave here in this forum of the seller potmano, located in California USA who sells the correct Japan DSL solenoid on ebay.com.
yes , thank you,
it looks like there are 3 more available now but getting close to AU$ 90 each posted.
Well , if i get two I can possibly save on postage....
02-07-2022, 06:02 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recommend the Vessel 9902 JIS screwdriver-set, it is far superior to the Moody set.
The Moody-set looks nice but when I first got it years ago it turned out to be just PH but named JIS.
Maybe they changed that.
I own the Hozan set I posted the link to. I used them on my 60-250 and they worked perfectly on the screws on the mount. I’ve not tested beyond that - I don’t have a lot of jis experience so I can’t confirm if they are true jis but I can post pictures of the tips if anyone wants.
02-07-2022, 07:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One unsolderes first the wires off the solenoid while it is still fixed in the Pentax, no matter which one!
Then one unscrews it.
Then only one solderes the wires back on (no need for a 3rd hand clamp, it is not possible)
I guess you used the 3.rd hand for unsoldering the wires of your donor solenoid?
I used it to hold the wires in place when soldering them back on, it was very much possible, but a little finicky to get everything aligned at the right spot.
02-07-2022, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I used it to hold the wires in place when soldering them back on, it was very much possible, but a little finicky to get everything aligned at the right spot.
My way of soldering is:
- colophonium (I have it as a paste) onto one part that needs to be soldered (wire or pin)
- solder without flux into the tip of the soldering iron

- right hand rests well and quiet on the camera, holds the soldering iron
- left hand holds the bare wire end tight with tweezers or similar to the pin (both have been presoldered!)

- A tiny short touch with the tip of the soldering-iron, not to move with the left hand for 1-2 seconds until solder cooled down.

Test with the tweezers that the wire sits well
02-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Maybe they changed that.

The Vesselset is much shorter as well but you want the length of Vessel

@ehrwien

A proper JIS 00 or 0 will work for the solenoid-screws, that is the good thing about Vessel, they fit that well.
PH works but it is then a must to use PH000 for the solenoid screw, a PH00 would destroy it (which a JIS 0 won't, it fits as perfect as the JIS 00)

Then one unscrews it.

There are at the moment 2 solid/safe solenoid sources, one on ebay.com (seller potmano) and the other on ebay Kleinanzeigen Germany.
The other ones: One source on ebay UK (seller randr2012) and one on ebay.de (not to be mixed up with ebay Kleinanzeigen Germany) which are tricky offerings, i.e. SLR solenoids and not DSLR! The German sellers (kilo404) kind of admits this at least, the UK seller doesn't but stopped selling them.
But another offers it now on ebay UK with an iffy text.
Ouch! I ordered mine from randr2012. I was going by the reviews where some said they used the part and their camera was fixed. I guess these were fake reviews. Is there a way to tell visually if these are the incorrect parts?? I guess I should have left well enough alone and used my KS2 as an all manual camera. I hope I didn’t get scammed. The solenoid should be here in a couple weeks I will have to wait until then.

Last edited by que es tu; 02-09-2022 at 10:17 AM.
02-09-2022, 02:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
Ouch! I ordered mine from randr2012. I was going by the reviews where some said they used the part and their camera was fixed. I guess these were fake reviews. Is there a way to tell visually if these are the incorrect parts?? I guess I should have left well enough alone and used my KS2 as an all manual camera. I hope I didn’t get scammed. The solenoid should be here in a couple weeks I will have to wait until then.
If I had it I could tell the difference. But you are in the USA. Wouldn't it have been more sensible to order from the US source anyway?
Lets hope you got the right one.