Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2022, 02:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L bracket for the K-S2?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone have an L bracket they like for the K-S2, one that they like for Arca-Swiss-style tripods? I have an L-bracket that was advertised on eBay as being for Pentax K-5, K-3, and K-70. It does not work; my K-S2 rotates forward when I take vertical shots with a heavy DA* 50–135mm lens.

This L-bracket looks like a generic MPU-105 in my opinion; it has six little rubber pads on the bottom but no rubber pads on the side. The K-S2 has slightly curved sides, and I think the lack of a right angle encourages unwanted rotation.

I don't care much about access to batteries or headphone jacks; I'd be happy to unscrew the L bracket when I need to recharge.

This L-bracket does work fine with my smaller, lighter lenses, just not with my DA* 50–135mm. Why oh why doesn't this lens have a tripod collar, again?

I've read old threads on this topic, but nobody seems to have a great solution:
QuoteOriginally posted by WondringLisa Quote
Hi all,

A short time ago I purchased a quick release L bracket for my K-S2, however I am having a problem that I have had with other plates that is exacerbated by the size of the L bracket. No matter how tight I try to secure it, it will still shift easily and I can still get gradual downward creep on my camera when securing it in the portrait orientation. Does anyone have any suggestions/fixes/hacks that will prevent it from moving once tight?

Thank you!

Lisa

06-15-2022, 09:24 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sunwayfoto DPL-70 is a game changer for light weight cameras. I have it on my KS-2

In my exuberance I did not fully read your question. No this quick release plate (put on end it is an L bracket) does not work for long telephoto lenses. Only works where the center of mass is roughly over/near the bracket

Last edited by dms; 06-15-2022 at 09:32 PM.
06-16-2022, 02:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest going for a L-Bracket with a lip on the edge (see image), when you align it on the camera it stops rotation as you have.

Sunwayfoto have a couple of universal brackets with the lip such as the DPL-02R or the DPL-04R , as do other brands. Just check the basic dimensions of the KS-2 and whichever bracket you go for ..

06-16-2022, 11:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
I would suggest going for a L-Bracket with a lip on the edge (see image), when you align it on the camera it stops rotation as you have.

Sunwayfoto have a couple of universal brackets with the lip such as the DPL-02R or the DPL-04R , as do other brands. Just check the basic dimensions of the KS-2 and whichever bracket you go for ..
Seems as though everyone is sold out of DPL-02R brackets, but I just found a DPL-04R on B&H for $24, so I bought it. Thank you for that advice! I'll let you know how it goes!

06-25-2022, 02:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
Seems as though everyone is sold out of DPL-02R brackets, but I just found a DPL-04R on B&H for $24, so I bought it. Thank you for that advice! I'll let you know how it goes!
Well, at least I tried. The DPL-04R is too big/too wide to achieve a snug fit for my K-S2. I’m going to try a few cut/sanded popsicle sticks and rubber washers as spacers, but I’m not hopeful. I’mcpming around to the idea that a custom, 3-D printed L-bracket may be the only way to go…but having spent $90 on ineffective L-brackets at this point, I think my next purchase might need to be a DA* 60-250 with a proper tripod collar. That will take me some time to save up, but it’s a sure thing.