Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
06-22-2022, 06:07 AM   #1

KS-2 Aperture Block Question

Although i have had my Pentax KS-2 Since new i am not a prolific camera user. I have had other Camera's as well as the KS-2 hence why it has a quite low shutter count (821). It is now my only DSLR and something i would never part with and would just like to know if the Aperture Block problem occurs after a certain time limit or after heavy usage ie:- High Shutter usage or is it something that can happen randomly at any time. It's been something that has worried me for quite a long time but i never got round to asking. It's just something that would be nice to know even though i see it's repairable.

Thanks in Advance
Tim

06-22-2022, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wizhunter Quote
Although i have had my Pentax KS-2 Since new i am not a prolific camera user. I have had other Camera's as well as the KS-2 hence why it has a quite low shutter count (821). It is now my only DSLR and something i would never part with and would just like to know if the Aperture Block problem occurs after a certain time limit or after heavy usage ie:- High Shutter usage or is it something that can happen randomly at any time. It's been something that has worried me for quite a long time but i never got round to asking. It's just something that would be nice to know even though i see it's repairable.

Thanks in Advance

Tim
Yours seems to be the type of usage most likely to trigger it. When did you last use it? My K-50 has a shutter count well under 10000 and was fine until I left it unused for around 18 months. After that the first shot or two would be dark. You might be lucky but as you say the fix is fairly straightforward and made easier now that Pentax seem to finally have a reliable new alternative to the white solenoid.

06-22-2022, 06:49 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Yours seems to be the type of usage most likely to trigger it. When did you last use it? My K-50 has a shutter count well under 10000 and was fine until I left it unused for around 18 months. After that the first shot or two would be dark. You might be lucky but as you say the fix is fairly straightforward and made easier now that Pentax seem to finally have a reliable new alternative to the white solenoid.
I use it probably 2 or 3 Times a Month with 2 or 3 Photo's taken each time, it went about 2 or 3 years without use as i had a couple of Canon and Nikon Camera's, it's only the last year or 2 that i have used it. I can't go out due to health reasons so there is only so many photo's you can take indoors. Hopefully in the coming year i might be able to get outdoors and use it as much as i would like too. Thanks for the quick reply.
06-22-2022, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thanks in Advance
Tim
It has tended to happen after a couple of years, but heavy usage - if anything - may delay it.

06-22-2022, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had used my K-30 heavily when it developed the problem, I don’t really think it has much to do with the amount of usage.
06-23-2022, 12:43 AM   #6

Original Poster
I do find it hard to believe that something barely used is more likely to break or fail than something highly used, it surely goes against the Laws of Physics , not that i am an expert of said Law. I think that all i can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope that AB doesn't happen to my Camera as the KS-2 has to be one of my favourite things. Thanks for the replies guys i really appreciate it.
06-23-2022, 05:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I do find it hard to believe that something barely used is more likely to break or fail than something highly used, it surely goes against the Laws of Physics , not that i am an expert of said Law. I think that all i can do is keep my fingers crossed and hope that AB doesn't happen to my Camera as the KS-2 has to be one of my favourite things. Thanks for the replies guys i really appreciate it.
You should not think in term of fall or break.
Instead, you should think in terms of ‘rust’ and/or magnetize, which are processes which affect the seldom used.

06-23-2022, 10:37 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You should not think in term of fall or break.
Instead, you should think in terms of ‘rust’ and/or magnetize, which are processes which affect the seldom used.
I am now thinking if it happens it happens and nothing is going to stop it. I think it's a great Camera and probably worth the repair. As i have mentioned in previous posts i can't go out to take it for repair if it fails so would have to do the repair myself, i do repair Computers and other small electronic items as a hobby so should be capable of doing it myself. Is it a easy part to obtain in the UK ?.
06-24-2022, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I am now thinking if it happens it happens and nothing is going to stop it. I think it's a great Camera and probably worth the repair. As i have mentioned in previous posts i can't go out to take it for repair if it fails so would have to do the repair myself, i do repair Computers and other small electronic items as a hobby so should be capable of doing it myself. Is it a easy part to obtain in the UK ?.
You can get the latest solenoid direct from John Pye Technical.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/321871-k-30-k-50-aperture-block-failue-repair-solution-available-post5559028.html

06-24-2022, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do find it hard to believe that something barely used is more likely to break or fail than something highly used, it surely goes against the Laws of Physics, not that i am an expert of said Law.
What becomes bigger if you take something away?

The law of Physics does apply here as well but not as you see/understand it.
Study the History of the solenoid and you'll understand.

It also depends a little bit, when your K-S2 was manufactured which you can find out HERE by uploading a jpeg taken with your K-S2.
If before 12/2015, more likely, if afterwards, less likely but it does happen.

I have changed solenoids in ALL Pentax bodies using one in our family and bodies of relatives.

But only the Japan DSLR solenoid, nevertheless, If I'd live in UK, I might try the latest China-Version, because it is cheap there indeed.
Don't buy any of the white solenoids offered on ebay UK (seller randr2012) , they are SLR and not DSLR solenoids, he just clever hides this by writing: Original solenoid plunger ..... made in Japan and lastly used in K-r and K-x

06-25-2022, 01:20 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
What becomes bigger if you take something away?

The law of Physics does apply here as well but not as you see/understand it.
Study the History of the solenoid and you'll understand.

It also depends a little bit, when your K-S2 was manufactured which you can find out HERE by uploading a jpeg taken with your K-S2.
If before 12/2015, more likely, if afterwards, less likely but it does happen.

I have changed solenoids in ALL Pentax bodies using one in our family and bodies of relatives.

But only the Japan DSLR solenoid, nevertheless, If I'd live in UK, I might try the latest China-Version, because it is cheap there indeed.
Don't buy any of the white solenoids offered on ebay UK (seller randr2012) , they are SLR and not DSLR solenoids, he just clever hides this by writing: Original solenoid plunger ..... made in Japan and lastly used in K-r and K-x

Mine is before 12/2015 so in the likely to happen list of KS-2 Camera's. Thanks for the eBay tip as i usually buy things from there. If it fails the Guide to repairing it seems pretty straightforward and easy to follow. I have all the Tools required so no problems there. Fingers crossed it doesn't but i am prepared Thanks to you guys and this Forum.I have just enrolled in a online photography course and am hoping i can learn to use it to it's full extent. I have been a bit of a lazy photographer always using Auto but hoping to change that in the future. i am a bit old at 60 learning new things but i do have some knowledge though not a lot lol.
06-25-2022, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is before 12/2015 so in the likely to happen list of KS-2 Camera's. Thanks for the eBay tip as i usually buy things from there. If it fails the Guide to repairing it seems pretty straightforward and easy to follow. I have all the Tools required so no problems there. Fingers crossed it doesn't but i am prepared Thanks to you guys and this Forum.I have just enrolled in a online photography course and am hoping i can learn to use it to it's full extent. I have been a bit of a lazy photographer always using Auto but hoping to change that in the future. i am a bit old at 60 learning new things but i do have some knowledge though not a lot lol.
Good for you!
I would start to look out for an old Pentax (*ist-D/DL, K100/110/200D or Samsung equivalent) for a reasonable price.
Those have 2 Japanese DSLR solenoids. Particular the K200D is still a special Pentax with its 10MP CCD sensor!

Because the green solenoid had been well tested in the flash circuitry of the K100D, K200D, K-m and K-x in the EU (but not often in UK!)

you can just swap solenoids. So you have a nice backup K200D which you might find sometimes very cheap.

Often people sell them because it won't switch on anymore, just bend and clean the contacts, yesterday I got a K-x having that problem, it works fine now. But the K-m, K-x and K-r usually have already the green solenoid in the flash (often in UK as well) so better to get a K200D!
06-25-2022, 04:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks in Advance
Tim
My K-30 developed aperture block before reaching 2000 exposures.
Less than 2 years old, and regularly used.
06-25-2022, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
My K-30 developed aperture block before reaching 2000 exposures.
Less than 2 years old, and regularly used.
Pentaxians seem to think in terms of shutter count, but the appropriate measure here seems to be calendar days.
I also thought I was giving my K-30 “adequate use”, and it also started having “Dark Image Syndrome” issues after about 2years.
06-25-2022, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

As my title indicates, I worked with computers before I retired.
Instead of putting a Japanese solenoid in there, I got a FA 28-105mm lens, and started setting aperture at the lens when I started having issues.
As the saying goes, “There is more than one way to skin a cat”.