Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2022, 05:56 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As my title indicates, I worked with computers before I retired.
Instead of putting a Japanese solenoid in there, I got a FA 28-105mm lens, and started setting aperture at the lens when I started having issues.
As the saying goes, “There is more than one way to skin a cat”.
Yes, indeed, but you have the Pentax KP and hardly use your K-30 anymore.
The TO has written before and his K-S2 is his only DSLR right now.
With his DA-L55-300 and kitlens or any other DA-lens he cannot use his Pentax at all.
The K-S2 is still a really great Pentax so it would be a shame not to be able to use it.

06-25-2022, 06:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Yes, indeed, but you have the Pentax KP and hardly use your K-30 anymore.
The TO has written before and his K-S2 is his only DSLR right now.
With his DA-L55-300 and kitlens or any other DA-lens he cannot use his Pentax at all.
The K-S2 is still a really great Pentax so it would be a shame not to be able to use it.
I got the KP only because of its graceful high ISO performance.
Otherwise the K-30 would like still be my primary camera.
My thought was that his position is comparable to what mine would have been.
06-25-2022, 06:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

A couple weeks ago I bought a K-S2 off of eBay that was pristine condition. Buyer said it hadn't been used in a year. Buyer says never an issue with Dark images.
I get the camera and "Presto".... right off the bat it has random ABF !
This is my fourth K-S2 that has been afflicted. Sooooo.....I mumble and grumble and me pulls out a spare white solenoid from a box and repairs it !
Buyer never knows the difference and me is Happy Again ! Kinda anyway knowing ABF isn't going to happen again on this body.
06-25-2022, 10:57 PM   #19

Original Poster
Cheers Guys. I will look out for a Pentax K200D, it's funny because even though i don't do a lot of Photography i do like my Camera's and only the other day was looking for another Nikon to play with. The main reason for looking for a Nikon was i have some spare Nikon Lenses and a Flash that are just sat in a Drawer. I will now be Definitely be looking for a K200. Would you suggest a working one or a spares or repairs one ?. Thanks.

06-26-2022, 12:23 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
A couple weeks ago I bought a K-S2 off of eBay that was pristine condition. Buyer said it hadn't been used in a year. Buyer says never an issue with Dark images.
I get the camera and "Presto".... right off the bat it has random ABF !.....
I believe there are quite a few who discover ABF, sell their camera hoping to get away with it.
In your case I would sent the buyer links concerning ABF, tell him what the official repair will cost and that I want a decent sum paid back.
06-26-2022, 01:16 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get the camera and "Presto".... right off the bat it has random ABF !
This is my fourth K-S2 that has been afflicted. Sooooo.....I mumble and grumble and me pulls out a spare white solenoid from a box and repairs it !
Buyer never knows the difference and me is Happy Again ! Kinda anyway knowing ABF isn't going to happen again on this body.
Broken is sold as broken, or else it's scam. No way around that. And - you shouldn't accept that. You're being way to kind on the seller.
06-26-2022, 11:27 PM   #22

Original Poster
Some sell Camera's on eBay or other things as untested which i never believe. Anybody who owns anything is going to try and see if it works. They put untested to try and pull buyers in which really is fraudulent as well. If something is being sold as untested it really means not working and for spares or repairs. Another sale tactic is taken out of the box but never used. I mean come on, who would do that really ?.

06-26-2022, 11:51 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Jr Quote
Broken is sold as broken, or else it's scam. No way around that. And - you shouldn't accept that. You're being way to kind on the seller.
Particularly since the seller knows about the dark image issue and uses the absence of it as a selling point.

06-27-2022, 03:01 PM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Particularly since the seller knows about the dark image issue and uses the absence of it as a selling point.
As those who encountered ABF before know very well, usually it comes "all the sudden".
So it can be that a seller doesn't have that problem.

Of course what makes me suspicious is that:
Buyer said it hadn't been used in a year. Buyer says never an issue with Dark images.
Because after a longer period of no use that's exactly when ABF in most cases shows up all the sudden.

But when I repair it myself, I can't and won't return it.

But I would start a case and get some money back.
06-27-2022, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

As soon as I heard that it was unused for a year, I thought “solenoid issues” even before I got to the word ‘ABF’.
06-28-2022, 01:22 AM   #26

Original Poster
I think it's risky buying a used KS-2 and if i knew then what i know now i think i might have opted for another model, i think the buyer is just as responsible as a seller. but also a seller should mention the risk when selling it and sell at a price that reflects this. Is the KS-2 such a good Camera that's worth buying whatever the risk or should a used one be avoided ?.
06-28-2022, 01:45 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wizhunter Quote
I think it's risky buying a used KS-2 and if i knew then what i know now i think i might have opted for another model
But why do you then ask this question:
Is the KS-2 such a good Camera that's worth buying whatever the risk or should a used one be avoided ?.
Let's put it like this: If you know about ABF and you are in the position to repair it yourself, then you are better off than buying a used Canon or Nikon or Sony or whatever because there you won't know how to repair it.

So it's kind of an advantage.
If you know you can't repair it you still have an advantage because you have a choice. This choice is yours then.

Is the K-S2 that good? I think so. If I find one for a good price I repair it even if it hasn't developed ABF.

And I recommend this to anybody because I know that all pre 12/2015 will most likely develop ABF at some time. That is my observation.
But I would even repair them if built after 12/2015 because some do develop ABF except very recent K-70's.

I think the buyer is just as responsible as a seller. But also a seller should mention the risk when selling it and sell at a price that reflects this.
Most users don't know and never will get to know about ABF.
But even if they know but their camera is alright, why should they mention that it could have ABF?
Because then merchants would have to tell that butter can lead to heartproblems.

But all this is theory and won't lead to anything.
06-28-2022, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Is the KS-2 such a good Camera that's worth buying whatever the risk or should a used one be avoided ?.
It is a very good and very unique camera. I've had mine now for over 6 years, and always with relatively low use. Due to its much more advanced features and controls, with WR construction, I bought it to replace my old, likewise low-use K-r, which I gave to friends along with 2 kit lenses, DA 18-55mm II and DA 55-300mm. My main camera then was my K-5 IIs. My K-r and then the K-S2 serve in special roles as my compact, lightweight alternative when I need to carry as light as I can but still having fine quality. The K-S2 turned out to be amazing, even better than I anticipated. I had no awareness then of aperture failure problems.

I got it new from B&H of NYC at an amazingly low price. They might have been recently advised of the soon forthcoming K-70, hence the special low price to clear out their latest batch of stock. My special deal was $508 US WITH the pre-packaged incredibly small DA-L 18-50mm zoom lens, and free shipping. The K-70 was later announced in June of 2016, so their K- S2 stock would be gone to make room for the new K-70. Mine might possibly have been made just in time to not be before December, 2015. I bought it in January of 2016, and B&H are the largest or among the largest camera retailers in the US, moving a tremendous amount of stock.

Initially, the K-S2 was particularly suitable for me on vacations where I would do some extensive shooting while bicycling, or on long walks, or even those at home. I also had bought the HD DA 20-40mm Ltd lens, and for years also had the DA 18-135mm WR, as well as numerous other high quality compact lenses. Then in June of 2017, I acquired the KP, which became my favorite for these activities, so the K-S2 received even less use. But for attending social events, I've found it to be especially adaptive in such circumstances. With the very small DA-L 18-55mm zoom lens, it can fit nicely into a large jacket pocket, or into a small holster belt case I have, and its special selfie-(with-friend) feature works quite well! At the same time, its imaging quality is very fine, so that any more serious photographic opportunities that might be encountered along the way can be addressed with great results. It is even pretty good for handling low light situations, when having to raise ISO. Even though having some top-rated models, I do love my well-featured, high-performing, yet very petite K-S2!

I do happen to have a non-working K200D, as well as a working K100D, which I never use. But I hope my K-S2 keeps on going and I am one of those fortunate K-S2 users who never has to experience ABF.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-28-2022 at 08:16 PM.
06-29-2022, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

I believe there are quite a few who discover ABF, sell their camera hoping to get away with it.
In your case I would sent the buyer links concerning ABF, tell him what the official repair will cost and that I want a decent sum paid back.
I know...but that would just get my BP up. It's done....I moved on.

---------- Post added 06-29-22 at 07:34 ----------

I was quite kind. Even left good feedback just to be done with it. I just fixed the damn thing and moved on. I wanted another K-S2 for kayak adventures and now it's done.

---------- Post added 06-29-22 at 07:40 ----------

I think it's risky buying a used KS-2 and if i knew then what i know now i think i might have opted for another model, i think the buyer is just as responsible as a seller. but also a seller should mention the risk when selling it and sell at a price that reflects this. Is the KS-2 such a good Camera that's worth buying whatever the risk or should a used one be avoided ?.
Its a good camera with nice image quality.
Of course I know any K-S2 is a complete crapshoot with ABF. It's not the first time I rolled the dice and lost.

---------- Post added 06-29-22 at 07:42 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
As soon as I heard that it was unused for a year, I thought “solenoid issues” even before I got to the word ‘ABF’.
Yuuuup ! Rolled the dice and lost again....lol.
It's all fixed now. Willie is Happy Again!

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 06-29-2022 at 07:35 AM.
06-29-2022, 08:21 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Let's put it like this: If you know about ABF and you are in the position to repair it yourself, then you are better off than buying a used Canon or Nikon or Sony or whatever because there you won't know how to repair it.

So it's kind of an advantage.
If you know you can't repair it you still have an advantage because you have a choice. This choice is yours then.
It is an advantage if the camera fails.
I hear that some don't.