Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-15-2022, 04:23 PM   #1

k-s2 spot metering / PEF vs DNG

Hello Pentaxians

I am new to Pentax. Bought a K-S2 and added the 35mm macro limited.
Only one thing i cant figure out: Spot metering!
I have used Nikon an Canon before, and i often used spot metering. I just cant find it on the k-s2.

Another question: PEF vs DNG. Which should i use?
Its great that they offer DNG. But they do they also offer the PEF format? Is there any gain in image quality from the PEF files?

Thanks in advance.

07-15-2022, 06:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrKrusty Quote
Hello Pentaxians

I have used Nikon an Canon before, and i often used spot metering. I just cant find it on the k-s2.

Its great that they offer DNG. But they do they also offer the PEF format? Is there any gain in image quality from the PEF files?

Thanks in advance.
Look in your manual under AE metering

DNG is an Adobe created standard, PEF is Pentax Proprietary, I don't think there is a difference.
07-15-2022, 07:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Pentaxians

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum.

Metering is set as per the image I've posted from the manual.

There is no image resolution advantage to either the PEF or the DNG format, from camera, but DNG, as the universal Adobe format, may be readable on more devices or with more software.
Attached Images

07-17-2022, 01:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Mark.

Thank you for you help. That put me on the right track. So for now i lose the back focus, or have to make the switch in the menu. That is an okay solution (and the one they intended i guess), but would be nice with a dedicated button. I will check if that is possible (not sure what the button with the greet dot next to the compensation button is doing. Apparently nothing). I have to play around with the options now.
I see that its not fair to demand everything from an entry level camera. They have made an overall great job.

Thanks for the pef/dng explanation. I will shoot only DNG from now on then.

and the spot metering is not very obvious in the manual. I would prefer an actual spot metering button (to measure a point and then re-compose), but those two actions seem to be separate, unless if i AE lock in kombination with spot measuring.

Nice with a welcome, and that you took time to understand why i saw a problem.
Its about workflow i guess. I used to spot meter on a part of a face when taking quick portraits.

Tony here
gives a nice introduction, but he give the impression that spot metering is useless.
AE lock is related to spot metering, but its definitely not the same.

Checked you photos. Living in New Zealand and taking photos of mountains, is cheating.

07-17-2022, 03:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Mark.

Thank you for you help. That put me on the right track. So for now i lose the back focus, or have to make the switch in the menu. That is an okay solution (and the one they intended i guess), but would be nice with a dedicated button. I will check if that is possible (not sure what the button with the greet dot next to the compensation button is doing. Apparently nothing). I have to play around with the options now.
I see that its not fair to demand everything from an entry level camera. They have made an overall great job.

Thanks for the pef/dng explanation. I will shoot only DNG from now on then.

and the spot metering is not very obvious in the manual. I would prefer an actual spot metering button (to measure a point and then re-compose), but those two actions seem to be separate, unless if i AE lock in kombination with spot measuring.

Nice with a welcome, and that you took time to understand why i saw a problem.
Its about workflow i guess. I used to spot meter on a part of a face when taking quick portraits.

Tony here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_BC8iGvB8Q gives a nice introduction, but he give the impression that spot metering is useless.
AE lock is related to spot metering, but its definitely not the same.

Checked you photos. Living in New Zealand and taking photos of mountains, is cheating.
Cheating!

You're most welcome.
Have a look too, at this article which explains use of the green button, which you may find quite useful: Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com.