Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2023, 02:28 PM   #1
Closed Account

Need some help with a few settings on my K-S2

I received my camera back from a warranty repair at Precision Camera of Ct & it was set back to factory settings.

If someone could assist me with these 2 settings, in the K-S2's menu(s) specifically, I would appreciate it.

1) I want only the AF/AE-L button on the back of the camera to be used to nail focus & do *not* want the shutter button to try to grab focus with auto-lens...

2) I use manual lens a lot, so I want the camera set again to be able to use them

Michael

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 01-06-2023 at 02:50 PM.
01-06-2023, 03:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I received my camera back from a warranty repair at Precision Camera of Ct & it was set back to factory settings.

If someone could assist me with these 2 settings, in the K-S2's menu(s) specifically, I would appreciate it.

1) I want only the AF/AE-L button on the back of the camera to be used to nail focus & do *not* want the shutter button to try to grab focus with auto-lens...

2) I use manual lens a lot, so I want the camera set again to be able to use them

Michael
In the menu go to “camera icon”4 and in button customization choose “enable AF2” for the AE/AFL button. That should work for back button focusing. I’m not sure about the MF, I just use the switch or quick shift.

Edit: if you want catch in focus, go to the next to last C screen and I believe that is there along with enabling using aperture ring.
01-06-2023, 03:45 PM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
In the menu go to “camera icon”4 and in button customization choose “enable AF2” for the AE/AFL button. That should work for back button focusing. I’m not sure about the MF, I just use the switch or quick shift.
Much thanks!
01-06-2023, 03:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Much thanks!
Your welcome! I hope it helps!

01-06-2023, 03:51 PM   #5
Closed Account

Original Poster
ok, Question 1 is answered.

more on question 2.

I just threw a Manual lens on the K-S2 and the shutter won't even fire (& I have the camera in M (manual) mode on the dial).

I'm also interested in using the green button for exposure while using manual lens.
01-06-2023, 04:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

ok, Question 1 is answered.

more on question 2.

I just threw a Manual lens on the K-S2 and the shutter won't even fire (& I have the camera in M (manual) mode on the dial).

I'm also interested in using the green button for exposure while using manual lens.
Hmm.. is it set for “release priority” or “focus priority”? The former fires the shutter even if focus is not achieved, and the latter only shoots when in focus. Also, if you are using the aperture ring, the camera must be set to enable using aperture ring. Then to meter, press the green button, obtain exposure, focus and shoot! Good luck, and have fun!

Edit: if catch in focus is enabled I don’t believe the shutter will fire until focus is achieved when using a manual lens.
01-07-2023, 01:51 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just threw a Manual lens on the K-S2 and the shutter won't even fire (& I have the camera in M (manual) mode on the dial).I'm also interested in using the green button for exposure while using manual lens.
Here's Yvon's recipe from the ebook (pp.242-3):
1. Menu C28 - Using Aperture Ring -> Enable.
2. Rec menu 4 | Button Customization | Raw/Fx Button -> Select Optical preview (to allow stopping down the lens to see the DOF when the shutter is half-pressed, by pressing the RAW/Fx button)
3. Rec menu 4 | E-dial Programming | screen 2 | Select M | Select green button P Line | Select Tv Shift. The effect is that when in M mode, when you press the green button, the camera will stop down the lens, meter the exposure and set a shutter speed.

01-08-2023, 01:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

2) To allow manual lenses without A setting or in a chosen manual aperture, yo must set in menu camera-icon c4 ( on my k3) , "using aperture ring" , to "enable" firing....(default is disable)
You can leave it on , for all lenses. It is a kind of safety to make sure you work in Auto mode, but if you are knowledgeable about manual aperture, it’s useless...
Most you know I guess, but more (forgotten, erased ?) settings are described here How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com .
I noted some remarks are specific to KS2...