Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2012, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Win a Pentax lens for in time for Christmas: banner design contest! (ends 12/20)

Want to win a lens for Christmas? I'm going to run a quick contest featuring the Pentax 35mm as the prize, or another lens of similar value if you already have the 35mm (vintage lenses included).
Pentax SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Wide Angle AF Lens #21987 21987

Contest Details

So what's this contest about? It's simple: design the best PentaxForums.com banner to win! The PentaxForums.com Facebook page is in need of a new cover photo, and I thought why not let our members design it!

The best submission will be used as the new Facebook cover photo (as determined by the site staff), as the author of this submission will win the lens!

Here is our current cover photo, the one which your submission will be replacing:

========================================
Name:  facebookpage.png
Views: 6816
Size:  395.6 KB
========================================

Submission Guidelines

1. Banner must be submitted in lossless .png or .psd format
1. The aspect ratio must be 850 (w) : 315 (h), so a 850 x 315 pixel image is what you should be submitting (can be scaled down, etc.)
3. Our logo should be located on the right 1/3rd of the photo, similar to what's currently there. Feel free to move it up or down as you see fit
Note: if you end up not using the logo or placing it elsewhere, your submission may still be accepted if it is otherwise very appealing. You will be notified via e-mail if your banner is rejected.
4. You may not include others' photos in your banner without explicit written permission from the author. Pentax press product photos are generally in the public domain
5. The banner should be appealing to our general site audience
6. Strong recommendation, but not a requirement: include photos of Pentax gear in the banner!

Here is the logo you should use in the banner:

How to Submit

Simply e-mail your banner to Name:  contact.jpg
Views: 11140
Size:  24.9 KB
You will receive a reply confirming your submission was successful.

This contest closes on December 20th, so that we can get your lens delivered to you on the 24th, in time for Christmas! Non-US members: allow up to 2 weeks for delivery, subject to customs fees.

Note regarding the prize: if you already have the DA 35mm lens, we will be able to get you any vintage lens listed on ebay, our marketplace, Adorama, or B&H, up to $150 in value. Prize will not be issued as cash or a gift card, terms subject to change at any time.

By entering this contest you agree to allow us to use your submission as our facebook banner at any time.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have to do this this weekend...
12-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is a really cool idea for a contest! I'll have to see what I can whip up.
12-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
nyb

The logo is ugly...

12-14-2012, 12:38 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nyb Quote
The logo is ugly...
Make a better one and I'll send you two lenses

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
Forum Member

only png or psd ?
i don't have Adobe Photoshop - i'm making such small projects in Inkscape
Can I send SVG file instead PSD ?
If not, I'll send exported PNG file - that's no problem.

And one more question about picture size - it has to be strict 850px x 315px or aspect ratio 850x315 (e.g. 3400px x 1260px)

Thanks for answer
12-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by opiszon Quote
only png or psd ?
i don't have Adobe Photoshop - i'm making such small projects in Inkscape
Can I send SVG file instead PSD ?
If not, I'll send exported PNG file - that's no problem.

And one more question about picture size - it has to be strict 850px x 315px or aspect ratio 850x315 (e.g. 3400px x 1260px)

Thanks for answer
SVG is fine as it's not a compressed format, and larger files are fine also, as long as they conform to the aforementioned aspect ratio when scaled down.

How are you going to store our logo in SVG, though- would that require it to be traced and converted into a path, or do you plan on pasting it in afterwards?

Adam

12-14-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
SVG is fine as it's not a compressed format, and larger files are fine also, as long as they conform to the aforementioned aspect ratio when scaled down.
kk - that's fine

How are you going to store our logo in SVG, though- would that require it to be traced and converted into a path, or do you plan on pasting it in afterwards?
i've traced the logo using "Trace Bitmap" option from Inkscape - it's fine for me, but it would be better if i had original logo in vector graphics ;-)
12-14-2012, 01:01 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
kk - that's fine

i've traced the logo using "Trace Bitmap" option from Inkscape - it's fine for me, but it would be better if i had original logo in vector graphics ;-)
If it's not a perfect trace, then I would just paste the logo in after you're done with everything else- definitely don't want things to look distorted. Unfortunately, I don't have the original vector graphics for the logo. Wesołych Świąt btw

Adam

12-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #10
Forum Member

ok - i would try to do my best

thanks for Christmas wishes and Wesołych Świąt/Merry Christmas to You all
12-14-2012, 02:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hi Adam,
Just curious as to why the logo has to stay on the right hand side ?
12-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by chromo Quote
Hi Adam,
Just curious as to why the logo has to stay on the right hand side ?
I agree with that question. The logo, as it is, is heavily weighted to the left (huge red P), so it screams to be on the left side of the banner. Just basic composition rules, but I'm preaching to the choir on a photography site

Another question: is it one submission per member or can we submit more than one idea?

Last edited by VTerlakyPhoto; 12-14-2012 at 05:49 AM.
12-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #13

QuoteQuote:
4. You may not include others' photos in your banner without explicit written permission from the author. Pentax press product photos are generally in the public domain
Hi, does this mean that I can use pictures from Global Site | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING ?
12-14-2012, 06:29 AM   #14

Make a better one and I'll send you two lenses
Sweet...the 35mm and the DA* 16-50? I'm on it.
12-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
Great!! I will work in on the weekend!!!