Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2014, 09:24 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
50mm Lens Giveaway - Q&A Thread

Please use this thread for questions about the Pentax 50mm lens giveaway.

---------- Post added 08-25-14 at 09:42 PM ----------

Here is the text of the contest announcement:
50mm Lens Giveaway Instructions
New members, win a Pentax DA50!

This contest is intended to give newer Pentax owners a chance to win a DA50 f1.8!

I have been blessed with good fortune and won a DA50 1.8 lens in a contest run by member Kerrowdown, which he in turn won in a contest that Adam held for forum members earlier this year.

When I won the lens I decided I wanted to offer it up to a new Pentax user that may only be familiar with Pentax zooms and hasn't had a chance to try any of the wonderful Pentax primes.

So here are the requirements to qualify to win this lens:

1.) you must have acquired a first Pentax DSLR (or K-01) within the last 12 months and in turn joined this forum, evidenced by your join date

2.) you must submit an entry post that consists of two elements:

a.) a maximum 300 word explanation of why you deserve the lens

b.) a single picture you have taken with your Pentax camera

The rest of the forum members will then vote by 'Liking' your post and the winner will be chosen based on the highest number of likes received by the deadline for voting.

Only forum members as of the time of this announcement are eligible to vote.

There are no other guidelines, except to say that whatever you write and whatever picture you display should convince forum members to vote for your entry.

Deadline for entries: September 14, 11:59 PM Pacific time

Voting will take place September 15 thru September 21, 11:59 Pacific time

Winner of the lens will be announced on September 22.

Good luck!

Larry Navarro (crewl1), is the sole person responsible for this giveaway and any rules associated with it.
PentaxForums and its moderators are facilitating the contest but bear no other responsibility.

---------Submission instructions----------

Click here to start your submission:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=183

Note that you won't be able to see others' submissions until this event closes.

Any discussions, questions or comments can be posted here:
Giveaway Q&A Thread

08-25-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

What a great thing to do. I have a DA 50/1.8 that came bundled with my K-3 and it is a very fun and capable little lens. I may yet pass it on to a new Pentax user. It is definitely the "entry drug" into the world of prime lens photography.

Steve
08-25-2014, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Steve. I'm hoping the lens finds a good home.
08-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

This is the spirit that makes PF such a great place. Wonderful initiative, Larry, thank you!

In the long run I'm not sure that the winner's wallet will thank you though. "Entry drug" indeed!

08-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
Inactive Account

What about Pentax film SLRs? Just got my MX two-weeks-ago (my first Pentax) and joined the forum this year. I've got a roll of Tri-X loaded and plan to hit the streets tomorrow morning. I don't own a DSLR.
08-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What a nice idea Larry.
I hope your fantastic fifty finds a good home.
08-26-2014, 03:47 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I hope my K-5 II gets here before the deadline, will be a bit peeved if I miss this cause of Australia Post's incompetence and slowness :P
Even if I can't enter, thank you to Larry for putting this giveaway on, it's incredibly generous of you!
08-26-2014, 05:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Any special requirements for the image? I'm still new, and have no DA lens yet
No requirements for the photo other than it be made by a Pentax, preferably yours.

---------- Post added 08-26-14 at 05:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BodenM Quote
I hope my K-5 II gets here before the deadline, will be a bit peeved if I miss this cause of Australia Post's incompetence and slowness :P
Even if I can't enter, thank you to Larry for putting this giveaway on, it's incredibly generous of you!
If you can borrow a Pentax in lieu of your own, you can use it to submit your picture.

---------- Post added 08-26-14 at 05:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by asiafish Quote
What about Pentax film SLRs? Just got my MX two-weeks-ago (my first Pentax) and joined the forum this year. I've got a roll of Tri-X loaded and plan to hit the streets tomorrow morning. I don't own a DSLR.
I didn't intentionally exclude film slrs but figure those users will have picked up a prime or two to go with it.
If you are a new member and want to enter just borrow a Pentax camera where we can see the EXIF for your photo.

Hopefully someone else will run a giveaway for a film era prime next ?

---------- Post added 08-26-14 at 05:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
This is the spirit that makes PF such a great place. Wonderful initiative, Larry, thank you!

In the long run I'm not sure that the winner's wallet will thank you though. "Entry drug" indeed!
Haha so true, LBA begins !

---------- Post added 08-26-14 at 06:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
What a nice idea Larry.
I hope your fantastic fifty finds a good home.
I'm just paying forward the generous spirit of others on this forum.
Inspiration comes from users like @Adam, @Heie, @Kerrowdown and I'm sure many others before my joining.

---------- Post added 08-26-14 at 06:09 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ha! I'm not new enough!!!
As you are a Pentaxian since 88 and seeing a couple of primes in your sig I don't feel too bad for you

---------- Post added 08-26-14 at 06:29 AM ----------

More info about the submission rules:
The text of your post should be NO MORE than 300 words!
If you can get your message through in much less please do so.
Please do not get disqualified for going over.
You do need to write at least one complete sentence though.

The picture can have been made during the past year and it does have to be taken by a Pentax DSLR or K-01.
You can create a new picture just for the contest if you wish.

Keep in mind the combination of text and photo will be what voters will use to decide if you deserve the lens.

08-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
If you can borrow a Pentax in lieu of your own, you can use it to submit your picture.
I wish I could borrow a Pentax, haha. Everyone I know near me that has a camera worth using shoots with the normal Canikon stuff :P
08-26-2014, 06:36 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by BodenM Quote
I wish I could borrow a Pentax, haha. Everyone I know near me that has a camera worth using shoots with the normal Canikon stuff :P
Same problem. Where I live we don't even have a proper camera store less than 100 miles away.

I do have primes, just like the idea of winning a contest and starting another one to pay it forward with a theme of my choosing (bokeh, of course).
08-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #11

A generous idea. I hope you do not get too many people complaining about the rules or deadline etc. I'm well ruled out as I have a K5 which was bought in 2012 to replace a iSTDS bought in 2005.
08-26-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Such discrimination around here against older Pentaxians . Fantastic idea, you are to be congratulated for your generosity! What a lovely way to inspire new talent! Presumably, we will only be able to see submissions at a later stage, or is there a thread that we can look at the submissions in the meantime. That would be great.
08-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just passed the one-year mark, and I've got the prime bug from the start. My K20D came with a fungus-ridden 50mm f2 lens that was still a lot of fun to use! So I'm at 8 primes currently, not counting that 50mm that I tried to clean up and ended up completely ruining...

Good luck to all who enter and kudos to Larry for his generosity! Maybe that DA 50 is the new traveling fifty, it seems to have a habit of changing owners
08-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #14

Lens giveaway

What a nice thing to do.
08-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #15

Just posted my entry fingers crossed i sooooo need a new lense and been looking and drooling over the 50/1.8 since my 18-55 Kit lense got wrecked with a big nice crack in the front glass almost exactly 1 month after i bought my K-50 in April (stupid retarded most loved dog)
and i got to borrow a Pentax-M 50/2.0 from a friend for a while and yeah im suffering from the Prime Lense Bug now days :/ atm all i got to use on my K-50 is a M42 135/2.8 and im sure most of you knows how much fun it is to try and shot full manual and using optical viewer......NOT :/
so Stevebrot my vote is make your own give-away