Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which lens should advance to the next round?
DA 21mm F3.2 Limited 9069.77%
K 28mm F3.5 3930.23%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
28mm correspond to the field of view of the 43 ltd on film, which is considered a normal. And 21mm corresponds to the field of view of the 31ltd on film, which is considere a wide angle.

How can they compit in the same category!?
Only one lens of any kind is gonna come out on top, so it's fine I think having categories adds to the drama of the tournament as one beloved lens is slain by another in the glassy pursuit to be #1

The 21 has something special to my eyes, from the photos I've seen, but I can't pinpoint what it is. Some kind of pixie dust?

I like the (few) images I've seen the K 28m F3.5, but it seems to be a tough lens to find for sale. The M version, on the other hand, seems to be everywhere.

10-21-2014, 10:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very tough choice. I own the K 28/3.5, but would like to get a DA 21 and have been looking at a large number of images shot with that lens that have been posted online. The DA 21 has the DA limited rendering: super contrasty, rich, fairly accurate colors; the K 28/3.5 is also contrasty, exhibits more "character," and produces less accurate but perhaps more distinct colors. Both are slow for primes and therefore seem specially designed for landscape photography, with the DA 21 representing the rendering common for high-end contemporary glass optimized for digital sensors, and the K 28/3.5 featuring old school film lens rendering.
10-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't know the K28, but a few words about the DA21:

It performs similarly to the DA15 and I use mine nearly as often. flare resistance is quite good, the 14-pt starbursts are same as on the DA15. It is tiny and can take 49mm filters.
The biggest drawback of the DA21 IMO is the distortion, but now with the lens profiles in photoshop, I don't worry much about using this for panos for fear of stitching errors, because PS can correct the frames easily prior to stitching. I like the lens.
10-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
I think having categories adds to the drama of the tournament as one beloved lens is slain by another in the glassy pursuit to be #1
I have to say that I really enjoyed your phrasing here!

10-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The 21 has something special to my eyes, from the photos I've seen, but I can't pinpoint what it is. Some kind of pixie dust?
But in the case of the DA21, I think someone mixed a little glue in with the pixie dust! Though I genuinely found it enchanting, something's not quite right about its rendering.

In contrast, the K28/3.5 renders some of the best images I've ever seen. But I often need AF and a faster aperture, so I sold it.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Even owning my new-to-me FA31, K28/3.5 is my favorite lens altogether, so this is easy.
I agree. While I think I like the images from the K28/3.5 better (than the FA31,) I know it's easier to get good images out of the K28. For that matter, other than my two Soft lenses, the FA31 is the trickiest lens I've ever used.

Last edited by DSims; 10-21-2014 at 04:06 PM.
10-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I like the (few) images I've seen the K 28m F3.5, but it seems to be a tough lens to find for sale. The M version, on the other hand, seems to be everywhere.
The M version is everywhere and is inferior in every way to the K version except for one factor - it is more compact. K version has more glass and is simply better for what it is designed for and yes, I agree, finding it is difficult but they do pop up every month or so for around $100. Bargain
10-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
i was digging that too
10-21-2014, 06:48 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i was digging that too
Thanks! I was going to use "bloody" at first, but I realized lenses don't have any blood! Then I was happened upon by glassy and the idea charmed me. Happy to see the phrase well-received

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
But in the case of the DA21, I think someone mixed a little glue in with the pixie dust! Though I genuinely found it enchanting, something's not quite right about its rendering.

In contrast, the K28/3.5 renders some of the best images I've ever seen. But I often need AF and a faster aperture, so I sold it.
I agree. While I think I like the images from the K28/3.5 better (than the FA31,) I know it's easier to get good images out of the K28. For that matter, other than my two Soft lenses, the FA31 is the trickiest lens I've ever used.
Maybe the glue makes the dust clump and it creates artifacts - there's too much dust!

Wow, that's high marks for the K28/3.5. The closest prime I have to normal is my 35 Ltd, but this lens seems to be different in its character. I'm really curious about this lens, now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
The M version is everywhere and is inferior in every way to the K version except for one factor - it is more compact. K version has more glass and is simply better for what it is designed for and yes, I agree, finding it is difficult but they do pop up every month or so for around $100. Bargain
Ah, that makes sense. There seems to be one at KEH right now in EX condition, but there's nothing in the details or even an image of it. The price and lack of any suffixes make me think it might be one.

10-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been using the (SMC) DA21 every day this month. Tiny, fast focussing, good flare resistance (not as good as the DA15, but better than most), plenty sharp from f/5.6 (and pretty good wide open), great contrast and colours. Sure there is some distortion, but what's a great lens without a quirk or two?

Some recent images if you need convincing.

10-21-2014, 09:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I just love my DA21, it's FL is so much versatile for travel photos. and the image quality is just fantastic.

I love it's contrast and sharpness, but more is the colors! superb.

10-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #26
Pentaxian

nice examples Sandy and mtux. those are beautiful images.
I'll see if I have one or two to share...

---------- Post added 10-22-2014 at 07:53 AM ----------

DA21

10-23-2014, 02:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I have both and I have never been able to see any significant difference between them. So the M version wins in practice because it's less of a pain to carry around.