Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which lens should advance to the next round?
DA 70mm F2.4 Limited 5746.72%
FA* 85mm F1.4 6553.28%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Tournament: DA 70mm F2.4 Limited vs FA* 85mm F1.4

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the knockout round of the Greatest Pentax Lens Tournament! The rules are simple: Two lenses enter. You must choose one. The winner moves to Knockout Round Two. The loser is gone. Check out the bracket here, which is based on the user nomination results.

In this short telephoto knockout match, the SMC Pentax-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited faces the FA* 85mm F1.4.

Make your choice by voting in the poll above. You will need to log in or register if you don't yet have a forum account.
Feel free to argue, persuade, and generally carry on after that. Voting will be open for exactly 24 hours.

Lens Info:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I`ve never touched a FA85 but love th DA70. From portrait, to products, to landscape. Awesome lens. And just seeind the weight, size difference I don`t need to think much
10-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian

FA* 85/1.4 = legend.

We can only hope that Pentax will produce such fine optics again some day.
10-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The DA70 is very good, but it doesn't even match the FA77 - let alone the FA*85.

10-27-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've seen photos from FA*85 owners which matched photos of Zeiss glasses!
Never seen such outstanding photos from DA70 owners.

Pity, I have neither.
10-28-2014, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

These two lenses seem to serve different purposes.

Attractive photos are done by good photographers not by lenses. These lenses are already all very good enough. It is the good photographer who knows the character of his lens and knows how to use it to get the best out of it.

This is just a game, no one will throw or dismiss his DA 40 or FA 43 because they did not make it to first or last stage.
But, I think many notice as me that there are many Pentax owners that seem to always write that the old lenses are better. I never see that from Canon, Nikon, Leica or other. That sounds like Pentax is dying, they lost their good engineers, they became the brand for low standard and old nostalgic photographers .

I do not believe it. Tests made by photozone (check the DA 70), or dxomark do not seem to tell me that neither (the PZ guy is tired of old Pentax lenses that do not perform on benches as wonders their owners claim) . Plastic and electronics but better optics is the trend. Anyway , I love my Pentax/Takumar gear
10-28-2014, 12:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the DA70, and liked it, but didn't love it. I sold it on in deference to my FA77, which I utterly adore.
I have no doubt the FA*85 deserves its reputation.
10-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Naruto Quote
Attractive photos are done by good photographers not by lenses. These lenses are already all very good enough. It is the good photographer who knows the character of his lens and knows how to use it to get the best out of it.
I didn't say photos by these lenses! I said by their owners! And I didn't say DA70 is a bad lens, just in comparison with FA85!
Maybe great photographers don't like/buy DA70, I dunno!

And I'm not an old nostalgic photographer.

10-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Naruto Quote
Attractive photos are done by good photographers not by lenses.
True - sometimes I just cut off the bottom of a plastic water bottle and use that!

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
I didn't say photos by these lenses! I said by their owners! And I didn't say DA70 is a bad lens, just in comparison with FA85!
I have to give you credit - you were very specific in your wording. You can't be criticized for that statement! But you gotta have the right tools, and the FA*85 is the more capable/flexible tool.
10-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
FA*85 is the more capable/flexible tool.
It all depends on the context. Carrying a 15Kg back pack, you`ll love carrying the DA70 arround.
10-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
It all depends on the context. Carrying a 15Kg back pack, you`ll love carrying the DA70 arround.
You might, but I wouldn't. The DA70 would be way too much sacrifice in capability - especially with that f/2.4 aperture.

An FA77, perhaps, but not the DA70. (The FA77 is not only an excellent lens in its own right, but it still impresses me with how well it performs in such a small package).

If I really want to go small, I'd just get a Q or take something like my Olympus XZ-1.