Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which lens should be the winner of this match?
DA 15mm F4 5535.26%
FA 31mm F1.8 10164.74%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2014, 01:41 AM   #31
Forum Member

Different focal lengths make it difficult to compare IQ. This is true for all the 4 lenses left.

But among the two competing here, one is much much better build (with no aspherical "glass" element made of plastic ) . One, the same, can be used on FF (pentax or Sony A7x). So I vote for it.

Last edited by Naruto; 10-30-2014 at 02:04 AM.
10-30-2014, 02:00 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
both are fantastic lenses, but no lens at around 15 mm for crop censor can actually beat the DA15 in term of image quality, value, built, size, star burst effect, etc.
on the other hand, the 31 ltd, it is an expensive lens, but see how close fa35 and f28 can do when compare images taken in the same lighting situation.
Fantastic lenses vs fantastic lenses, my vote go for the "value" this time, it is the 15!

Last edited by pakinjapan; 10-30-2014 at 02:28 AM.
10-30-2014, 02:01 AM   #33

Notwithstanding purple fringing, the FA 31 is IMHO the best "normal" lens available in K mount: great sharpness and colors, silky smooth bokeh, super build and quite compact.

On the other hand I found the DA 15 quite mundane. Its "rendering" is interesting, but it has a tremendous amount of field curvature.

The lens on the Ricoh GR, which I own, is miles ahead, sharper at f/2.8 than the DA 15 at any aperture !
10-30-2014, 02:14 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
both are fantastic lenses, but no lens at around 15 mm for crop censor can actually beat the DA15 in term of image quality, value, built, size, star burst effect, etc.
on the other hand, the 31 ltd, it is an expensive lens, but see how close fa35 and f28 can do when compare images taken in the same lighting situation.
Fantastic lenses vs fantastic lenses, my vote go for the value this time, it is the 15!
Just for your information:
1) The guy of lensrent... does tests on a large sample of lenses. He had to choose his gear and compared lenses on Pentax camera. The Sigma 10-20 was better as wide angle than the DA 15. No lens beats the 31 that he kept on the list.

2) I had the fa 35, sold it. It can not compare to the 31, IQ and Build. I will never sell my 31, 43 and 77.

10-30-2014, 05:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This one is the hardest one yet.

I can't betray either of them. I couldn't live with the guilt.
10-30-2014, 05:20 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Easy. FA31. Fast, versatile, properly sharp, and it does a nice starburst of its own. Then there's that BOKEH!
DA15 is a bit of a one trick pony. Mind you, it does it very well.
I have both lens and fully agree with Sandy's opinion. DA15 knows only one trick but does it well. My voice goes for FA31!
10-30-2014, 05:37 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by saper Quote
DA15 knows only one trick but does it well.
My experience has been different. What is the consensus regarding its 'one trick' - what is this trick?

- Craig

10-30-2014, 05:41 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I've been following this contest closely, even though I didn't vote a single time. It's interesting to see people advocating this or that lens, especially if I might want to buy it at some point.

So I'm probably going to get FA77 next (because I want a small lens in 70-100 range) where impressions are overwhelmingly positive, and at some point FA31 (and that will be mostly for snobbish reasons), even though there opinions are a bit more polarizing.

Now funny thing about DA15, which I wanted to want, is that it's so polarizing that people either adore it or hate it. So the vibe I got from all this is that this is one lens I don't want to buy sight unseen.
10-30-2014, 05:59 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a tough choice. For all the talk about the DA 15 being a one trick wonder (I guess that would be starbursts), it does have a way of rendering landscapes that I really like.

DA 15 limited.

FA 31.

10-30-2014, 06:03 AM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
My experience has been different. What is the consensus regarding its 'one trick' - what is this trick?

- Craig
For me DA15 has a kind of polarizer effect, i.e. shots have deep blue sky after processing. Besides this, smaller size and a bit better bokeh, it doesn't differ from DA12-24/4 IMHO.

P.S. I am not that big fan of star effect it produce on long exposures for light sources.
10-30-2014, 06:07 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is a tough choice. For all the talk about the DA 15 being a one trick wonder (I guess that would be starbursts), it does have a way of rendering landscapes that I really like.

DA 15 limited.

FA 31.

Vincent,

my problem with you advocating this or that lens (and mostly 31 ) is that your photos are uniformly great, regardless of the lens used. So I don't feel like I am getting useful info on a lens, but rather you underselling yourself as a photographer.
10-30-2014, 06:44 AM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Now funny thing about DA15, which I wanted to want, is that it's so polarizing that people either adore it or hate it. So the vibe I got from all this is that this is one lens I don't want to buy sight unseen.
Might just be amped-up rhetoric in the polls that is giving you that impression. Many adore the 15mm Limited, for sure; but very few outright hate it from what I see. I imagine some may hate all the gushing over a lens they themselves find undeserving of the level of hype.

I like the 15mm Limited. It is a high point in the Pentax line-up, it's always in my bag, and is fun in use. But it rarely displaces my favourites.
10-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #43
Pentaxian

While polls like this are fun, they don't really mean much because a large majority of people voting have never seen or touched these lenses. I have avoided voting in most of them because my vote would be meaningless. How could I possibly know whether which lens is best if I have never used them? Also, lining up an ultra wide vs a "normal" prime is apples and oranges as someone has said but it has to happen if this poll ends with a single lens. I voted for the DA 15 here. I have commented on what I love about this lens previously. Why should it beat the FA 31? I based this vote on a criteria that will probably make some people upset but perfectly valid IMO. It's cheaper!
10-30-2014, 06:59 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cxdoo Quote
Now funny thing about DA15, which I wanted to want, is that it's so polarizing that people either adore it or hate it.
I don't think anyone hates the DA 15/4.

However, I'm pretty sure some believe that the DA 15/4 receives undue attention, or in other words is "hyped up".

The DA 15/4 is relatively slow for a prime lens and needs considerable stopping down until the corners become sharp. It has high field curvature (the focus plane is curved) and pretty high vignetting.

On the plus side, it is small, very well-built, very flare-resistant and produces contrasty images. The latter qualities have been elevated to "mind-control" status, something that not everybody is sold on.

The DA 15/4 is a capable lens and, again, I don't think anyone "hates" it. But there is no way I'd swap it against my Sigma 10-20/3.5 (which has better corner performance, BTW, at 15mm).
10-30-2014, 07:12 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't think anyone hates the DA 15/4.

However, I'm pretty sure some believe that the DA 15/4 receives undue attention, or in other words is "hyped up".

The DA 15/4 is relatively slow for a prime lens and needs considerable stopping down until the corners become sharp. It has high field curvature (the focus plane is curved) and pretty high vignetting.

On the plus side, it is small, very well-built, very flare-resistant and produces contrasty images. The latter qualities have been elevated to "mind-control" status, something that not everybody is sold on.

The DA 15/4 is a capable lens and, again, I don't think anyone "hates" it. But there is no way I'd swap it against my Sigma 10-20/3.5 (which has better corner performance, BTW, at 15mm).
The hard part for me with super-wide lenses is that flare resistance is a key component to how I judge performance. I own the 16-50 and as long as I am not shooting into a strong light source (aka the sun or the moon), it has better performance than the DA 15. But, I shoot into the sun a lot and I think the fact the 15 is small and doesn't have all of the glass that one of these zooms has really helps its flare resistance.

Even the FA 31 can flare pretty badly in the wrong circumstances.