Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #136
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Deleted.
Sun flare can add some really magical and ethereal effects to your photos. For capturing interesting images with sun flare use the manual setting on your camera otherwise the camera will try to adjust the settings to give you an image that is not overexposed, whilst with trying to capture sun flare you are trying to capture a deliberately overexposed image. Aperture and shutter speed will affect the outcome of the sun flare. If you like flare that is diffused softer and wider then a wide aperture is required. If you like flare that looks like a little glint or burst of light, then you will need to use an aperture of approximately f/8 or more. Shutter speed also affects flare. The longer your shutter speed, the more widespread your flare will be. But be careful. Extending your shutter speed too much will increase subject movement and camera shake.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by Tatty; 01-27-2016 at 12:44 AM.
01-17-2016, 03:16 AM - 3 Likes   #137
Veteran Member

Technical Perfection is not everything that counts: A Mantra

Focus on the composition, the mood you want to capture.

Value the moment over technical perfection.

Try to imagine the picture before shooting.

Learn when not to take a picture.

Don't be afraid of making errors - learn from these errors.

Golden Ripples

Last edited by Clou; 01-17-2016 at 03:27 AM. Reason: added missing word
01-17-2016, 03:42 AM   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Grey Area Quote
Just referencing Outis' original advice.

Sit in the BACK of the plane. In all the years of aviation, no aeroplane has ever yet flown backwards into a mountain...
If a good view is not paramount (i.e. long flight entirely over water), sit over the wings; the torsion box passes through the fuselage here and the structure is very well reinforced at that point. The rear is the next best place, as the rest of the airplane becomes a crumple zone in a crash.
01-17-2016, 03:44 AM   #139

I learned the hard way!

Load your batteries after each phototrip. That way they are always ready, if something interesting comes out suddenly....

01-17-2016, 04:27 AM   #140

Pentax cameras also glance into space!

Want to spend a cold night staring at the sky? I ensure you'll get nice results: Pentax fortunately kept the same socket throughout its history, so that I managed to attach my K-5 to an old telescope (30 years old) for getting stunning pictures of the lunar eclipse which took place on September 28th, 2015, Switzerland around 4am. Have a look!
P.S. Oh btw, setting an intervalometer gets you superb time-lapses
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-17-2016, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #141

First thing is to shoot a lot. Second thing is to find the keepers but my tip is the third thing.

Print your pics. Select the top pictures you took. Print them. I use cheap color laser printer and I write on the clear part of paper place, time and some settings. The most important thing is to learn so some critic should be there too. The idea of this printed catalog is to help you by extending your memory and recall the experience. Print quality isn't important.
01-17-2016, 04:35 AM   #142

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
i say a youtube vider on a k3 mkIII is this coming or is it a spoof

01-17-2016, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #143

I can't understand in this day and age of DSLR why people are so shy and weary about taking a shot that doesn't work. When you have the advantage to review your work straight away on a large monitor and to work with it if you feel you need to with a reasonable software package as soon as you get home. So, in the review process It's not like you've wasted film and chemicals and paper on a bad shot. What you don't like you can delete with no cost. One thing you don't get from a film.... you can't interrogate it like you can a digital image and read off the exif to review your shooting data. This can sometimes be helpful to the learning curve. So don't be shy or weary and remember a person who is willing to fail is a person willing to learn
01-17-2016, 05:11 AM   #144
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tmangus Quote
i say a youtube vider on a k3 mkIII is this coming or is it a spoof
Check out the Pentax News section. You'll see it's a spoof.
01-17-2016, 05:15 AM - 2 Likes   #145

Do you want to take a seascape photo including the Sun in the frame? Use the smallest diaphragm possible in your lens, this, besides giving you extra depth of field, will reduce the overexposed region over the Sun, without totally underexposing the rest of the image, giving a very intense image contrast, i really like this simple technique.

BTW, i'tll work betther if you are there at sunrise or sunset
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
01-17-2016, 05:31 AM   #146

Shooting macro/closeup

Shooting macro/closeup doesn't have to be expensive. Cheap old (but awesome) SMC-M 50 F1,7 and cheap extension tubes can deliver great results.
Attached Images

01-17-2016, 05:47 AM - 3 Likes   #147
Veteran Member

Rain, Dew and Flowers

As someone who is new to close-up and macro photography I find that when photographing flowers and plants, there's an added level of interest when capturing them after a thunderstorm or an early morning dew.

Last edited by PizzaDon; 01-17-2016 at 05:53 AM.
01-17-2016, 05:48 AM - 3 Likes   #148

First thing to try with DA* 300 and the Astrotracer function. In this season, in the North emisphere it's really easy to spot the Orion Nebula, just south of Orion Belt. What you need is a stable tripod and a good head to point really high on the sky. Identify the Orion constellation, the Orion's Belt in the middle and the Orion Dagger just south of the Orion Belt, the nebula is in the middle of th dagger. With Astrotracer function on, be sure to correctly setup the Astrotracer following the user manual instruction, set the exposure to f/8, 10sec, 3200ISO and take multiple exposure. Export shots to TIFF and stack them with an appropriate software, like regim, do a bit of post processing and here you are.
Attached Images

01-17-2016, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #149
JEF
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
I find the Dehaze filter in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC very helpful. Shooting on hazy days or from the air is a big problem for me. When I have the opportunity to fly, I can not set the time. I love it if I get to fly to airshows during the summer, even if they are hot and humid. It makes shooting photos a fun challenge.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by JEF; 01-17-2016 at 06:39 AM.
01-17-2016, 06:30 AM - 2 Likes   #150

Early Start

Get an early start for nature and landmark pictures. The cloud formations in the early hours, the morning dew on the flora, the absence of crowds, reduced traffic, and the cooler weather will offer more opportunity for great shots and less waiting time for the right moment. The people you get in your shots are likely to be locals doing their craft and composition will be enhanced. You'll be surprised at the things you'll otherwise miss.