Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #361

Hi,
My advice to becoming a better photographer is practice. The more you practice, the better you'll become and the easier it will be.

Attending workshops and taking classes can also help because they are hands on and there are photographers who can help you to become more comfortable with your camera.
One of the best tips I can give is to learn how to shoot in manual. It can take a lot of practice but is well worth it because then you can control how much light, focus and quality is added to the photos you take.
Another piece of advice is to not buy the most expensive equipment on the market until you are sure about using it and what the equipment is capable of. Having a nice camera and lens is a bonus but to truly have great pictures, it's up to the photographer and knowing how to work the camera just right.

01-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #362

How do you post pictures on here?
01-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #363

Photos: Albums
My tip for photographers is when you get a new lens, put a filter on it before you use it. A filter will protect the the lens from all kinds of miss haps. Especially when cleaning dust off a lens, dust can ab raise a lens , filters can be replaced, a lens can only be replaced when scratched .
Leave the filter on all the time. I use a UV filter.
01-18-2016, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #364
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inadisapio Quote
How do you post pictures on here?
Posting photos, how to:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/6-how-upload-link-pho...tart-here.html

01-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
giveaway advice

As there are lots of great technical suggestions, even though treacherous, I will venture some creative advice. When taking a shot, I take a cue from the Inuit who "see" the figure they want to carve in the rock or bone prior to carving, and then simply remove the excess material. I attempt to allow the photo to emerge from all the visual information at my disposal and then I can see what I have to trim away to realize the vision that presents itself to me. In almost every case, less is more and at the best of times, the shot finds me, not the other way around. Finally, on a different tack, do not be afraid to throw out every rule and bit of advice you have ever received if a great shot demands it.

Last edited by cloud cave; 01-18-2016 at 11:58 AM. Reason: grammar
01-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #366

a photo with long exposure can make something simple (like a carousel) interesting and fascinating .. also using an optical fisheye.

the human shaker by Lorenzo Tedesco, su Flickr
01-18-2016, 12:56 PM - 3 Likes   #367
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of great tips above, and I can't top the technical advice that has already been presented. I can give you one tip though, from looking through my photo archives: To me, what makes photography really special is its ability to freeze a moment in time. I think this is why my favourite motives are things transient, ephemeral or in motion - wildlife, birds in flight - and children captured at moments when they were unaware of being observed. I guess my best advice is to keep a look out for those split seconds of opportunity - they are better captures than any prearranged composition, to my eye.

The little one in this photo turns four today: This photo is her first encounter with her older brother.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #368

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
Background is as important as your object.
Manipulate it with changing your diaphragm opening.
Manipulate it with using different lenses. A tele will differ from a standard objective or wide angle lens.
Also check the way the light hits the background. Change your position or wait for the right moment.
if you are aware of this your pictures will look much better.
01-18-2016, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #369

Peak view for manual focus lenses or video

For shoots with manual focus lenses or when using the camera for videos, consider using peak viewing in the live-view. I found it much easier to focus using peak viewing than using the view-finder.
01-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #370

Just keep on shooting! There will be a moment when you'll say: "Wow! Is this really mine?"
01-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #371

If you are a fellow newb, buy extra memory cards, we live in a digital world. Don't be afraid to take shots. It costs nothing to delete. Learn from those you like, and refine your shots.
01-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #372

Shoot, and shoot a lot. In RAW only. Then you can go back to it after months, and see what could you done better.
01-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Always keep a reflector disk with you when you're out and about (I pack three of them in the back of my car: 11", 25" and 42"). They are a great tool for modifying light when an off-camera flash is unavailable or inconvenient. You can use one to create fill light for a model's face to eliminate shadows caused by directional light, props or accessories (like hats), or facial features (like deep-set eyes). Since most reflector disks offer multiple surfaces, you can also use them to create a little mood with hard silver, soft white or warm gold.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
01-18-2016, 02:19 PM   #374

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
After reading lens reviews, i bought the Sigma 17-70mm lens. I'm very satisfied with it. And after reading articles on the use of filters, i started using them. The main difference i noticed with polarizers, is the contrast it adds to the scene, specially to the skys. My next experiencce will be using long exposure with other types of filters. So try different things to develop new techniques. One i will try next week end is panning. The attachement i'm putting for you is the first shot i took with the polarizer i bought.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #375
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember to look look at the "other" dimensions, away from the sunrise, reflections, shadows.....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo