Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1204 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2016, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #571
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exercise! Read your camera manual and learn all the capabilities of your Pentax camera. Spend 10 minutes a day practicing adjusting the settings and modes.

01-26-2016, 07:11 AM   #572

Photos: Gallery
Shoot in RAW and tip for processing RAW and getting more info from your image.

Check about enfuse (open source). From RAW you can extract upto +3EV and -3EV (using for example ufraw) ~ google will help you find scripts to automate this. Then use enfuse to extract as much as info as possible from the shadows and highlights into one jpg or tiff. Then finish off in your favourite editing software (levels, sharpness...).
Another tip is that enfuse tends to make the highlights grey. Add the 0EV image as a layer in your editor and select 'lighten only' blending mode, you'll get all the details from the shadows and bright, natural highlights.

For example this photo show details (on the right) which in the camera jpg were black (I shoot RAW+). The end result is a natural, not psychedelic, compostition.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/difermo/8736408542/

Last edited by difermo; 01-29-2016 at 01:05 AM. Reason: added example and corrected typing mistakes
01-26-2016, 07:19 AM   #573

When using a manual lens in a modern Pentax, use the Live view to help you get acquainted faster with the focus and aperture. It will help a lot with short focus range lenses and it will get you to the optimum settings faster. I love shooting with an old Pentax-M, but it's really difficult to get the first few shots right using the optical viewfinder. I hope this helps other amateurs like me.

Last edited by photolady95; 01-26-2016 at 07:38 AM.
01-26-2016, 07:25 AM - 2 Likes   #574
Veteran Member

Enjoy

Look around you. Look at trees, flowers, sky, people, with love in your heart. And if you see something you like, enjoy it first with your heart and mind. After this, take the picture. Even if you will not win any prize with it, your pics will make your live beautiful.

01-26-2016, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #575

I am a fairly inexperienced photographer but have owned pentax ever since I have owned a camera, and new to the forums here but I will give this a shot. I remember the days of film cameras when you had to be careful of what you took pictures of. You never new what you where going to get after getting the film developed. Now you do not have to be afraid to take the picture. Take as many as you can actually. The more you take, the more you learn. And developing costs nothing.

Thanks
01-26-2016, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #576

When you see a subject you want to photograph don't think "that looks nice I'll take a picture of that" and hope for a good photograph, take a moment to imagine how the photograph you want to produce will look rather than how the subject looks to your eyes and then you will know what composition, exposure, contrast, depth of field etc you want, can set your camera accordingly and already have a very good idea what post processing will be necessary.
01-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #577

Constantly evaluate your output and process within the context of your peers'. Understand what it is about the photos your colleagues are taking that you feel drawn to and interpret those characteristics into your own work. Content, composition, rendering, post-processing, the use of different FOV, DOF; the ability to re-evaluate your own work from the perspective of another's photo that you appreciate and value can add a new dimension to your growth as a photographer. Finally dont be afraid to use that perspective even if it means a substantial deviation from your normal process.

01-26-2016, 08:17 AM   #578

Don't sacrifice the moment for the equipment

Don't sacrifice the moment for the equipment. The original is always the most beautiful; know your equipment well so you do not miss the beauty because you were focused on capturing it photographically.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #579

Photos: Gallery
This tip is more for beginners than for experienced photographers.

When photographing a group, try to engage them in a little light, humorous conversation as you're getting the shot set up. This should help relax those who are nervous and who might have a tendency to look like a deer in the headlights as a result. Then, when you are shooting, tell them you want to take a couple of extras "for insurance" that you've gotten the shot. In my experience, people may look more relaxed and natural during the "insurance" shots, because the pressure of the "real" shot is over.
01-26-2016, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #580

When you are going to a travel somwhere where pickpoketes and thieves are something common, make your camera to look like used or partially broken - for example use bright tapes.

Don't know if I'm able to participate in the giveaway as a new member and foreigner, but it was worth a try :P
Attached Images

01-26-2016, 08:44 AM - 3 Likes   #581
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had occasion to lead groups to biblical locations where there are the standard and typical postcard-type pictures everyone takes. In order to get a view of something more creative and interesting, I have suggested that a person focus on some kind of theme for their pictures. This theme could be a color or a shape or animal or some architectural feature. A person can look at a scene and see nothing. It's when they are actually looking for something that they begin to see everything.
01-26-2016, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #582

Lens giveaway

Count me in. I'd love to have the 55 to 300mm lens for my K50. Good luck to all.

Rick
01-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #583

Keep eyes open

Keep looking around you and keep your camera handy. When you see a shot that you think might be good - just take it then check the results later.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
01-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #584

During these days of cold, and sometimes not so cold temperatures, if you want to make the most of the morning light, you can put your camera and lens(es) in the boot of the car at night (without the batteries). Then in the morning, when you take it out it will already be adjusted to the temperature. (No fogging of lense, etc.) On the other hand, batteries do not like extremes of hot or cold, so keeping them in the house will give you the performance you need.

Of course, I am assuming your car is secure and doesn't leak. Hope that helps.

Dan
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
D-LUX 4  Photo 
01-26-2016, 09:39 AM   #585

Macro

Want to try macro photographing without spending a lot of money on macro lenses? I purchased an 49 mm reverse- adapter with a K- mount to fit my Pentax K3 camera. I have also bought an older Pentax -m 28 mm f 3,5 lens. You ca get both on E-bay for a cheap price. When using tis lens and adapter on my camera, you can obtain very good and detailed pictures of insects, flowers an other things. It is necessary to allow manual aperture control on your Pentax. Go to C_4_27 in the menu and activate the use of manual aperture. It is also recommended to have good light conditions or a flash unit.