Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1204 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2016, 06:19 AM   #721

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gedasst Quote
Don't waste money on any UV or nano-super-duper filters for protection.
For protection of front lens use hood.

Chance to front filter can protect Your lens if You dropped camera is 1:1'000'000.
If You drop lens (especially plastic) - is chance 1:2, to your optical axis is changed - no one filter can help.

Chance, to filter change your lenses work is 1:1, because any filter is piece of glass (or even plastic) and:
1. Changing optical construction of lens;
2. Flatting front element;
2. Increasing reflections and flare, especially with front artificial light;
3. Changing work of autofocus.

Use filters only, when is necessary - gradient, CR-PL, ND, or during rain, sand storm, etc...

P.S. Personally tested on many lenses with Hoya HMC, Schneider and other expensive filters.
YouTube
From what i'm reading, and questions i've asked, you have to be careful with light. I already had a few issues with it.
But most of all, i guess, you would use filters to go into long exposure mode, to get those falls and water kind of sights
that creamy look.

It's only my opinion. Use them in the right conditions, and i guess it will work fine for you.

02-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #722
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ygagne1008 Quote
you would use filters to go into long exposure mode, to get those falls and water kind of sights
that creamy look.
Absolutely.
I'm talking only against filters "for Protection".
ND, CIR-PL, Gradient, or some effects filters should be used by purpose.
02-07-2016, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #723
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ygagne1008 Quote
From what i'm reading, and questions i've asked, you have to be careful with light. I already had a few issues with it.
But most of all, i guess, you would use filters to go into long exposure mode, to get those falls and water kind of sights
that creamy look.

It's only my opinion. Use them in the right conditions, and i guess it will work fine for you.
QuoteOriginally posted by gedasst Quote
Absolutely.
I'm talking only against filters "for Protection".
ND, CIR-PL, Gradient, or some effects filters should be used by purpose.
I have recently read an article on using a camera mode instead of neutral density filters: interval composite photography, using "Average" for the exposure compensation. I haven't found all that much difference between composite and ordinary exposures here, but that might be because our water is in the solid state this time of year.
02-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #724
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have recently read an article on using a camera mode instead of neutral density filters: interval composite photography, using "Average" for the exposure compensation. I haven't found all that much difference between composite and ordinary exposures here, but that might be because our water is in the solid state this time of year.
Good one! 😀😀

02-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #725
Forum Member

Remember your eye has more dynamic range than your camera!
Therefore bracket and if you have a foreground subject, you might have to illuminate that subject (if possible given distance from you etc.) so the subject is exposed to match your background as your eye sees it.
Hope this helps,
Newfie
02-09-2016, 05:03 AM   #726

This is why we have the HDR mode iin our cameras. Try it some are better than others. Of course with bracketing you'll be able to fix the exposure in post production.
Also try using spot metering mode to isolate the 18% grey in the scene. Your camera has an internal zone system, which is rather impressive.
Have a nice day.
02-10-2016, 03:20 AM   #727
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
As an FYI, voting has started!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/187-pentax-forums-giveaways/313683-top-16...-best-one.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-10-2016, 08:24 AM   #728
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Unfortunately, yes those entries will have to be disqualified to be fair to everyone who followed the rules.
Really?
02-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #729

LX Sportfinder Eyecup

Discovered this rectangular eyecup a few years ago for my Canon FN Speedfinder & found that it also fits on the LX sportfinder. Mfg unknown but probably off an old camcorder. Eyecup has to be stretched on installing but the soft rubber makes east to do. Good protection for eye glass users.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
02-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #730
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Really?
I think it's fair. If an entry that didn't follow the rules won it, that could generate all sorts of discontent among some of those that did follow them, and the rules *were* clearly laid out (I missed them, mind you, so my own entry didn't make it through - but that's OK )...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-10-2016 at 04:02 PM.
02-10-2016, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #731
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Really?
If you disadvantage contestants who complied, James, it could go all the way to the Supreme Court. ☺
02-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #732
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, the point of my incredulity was that the stated rules distinctly appear not to have been enforced.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
If you disadvantage contestants who complied, James, it could go all the way to the Supreme Court. ☺
02-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #733
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, the point of my incredulity was that the stated rules distinctly appear not to have been enforced.
Ah, OK. I hadn't noticed that. Well, I'm sure someone deserving will get the lens, however it turns out...

EDIT: But when the K-1 FF competition comes up, I want things done properly!!!
02-10-2016, 04:08 PM   #734
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But when the K-1 FF competition comes up, I want things done properly!!!
Rule #1: Only users with usernames starting with the letter 'b' can win.
Rule #2: Only users with more than 1000 posts can win.

Gives me and you a much higher chance
02-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #735
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Rule #1: Only users with usernames starting with the letter 'b' can win.
Rule #2: Only users with more than 1000 posts can win.

Gives me and you a much higher chance
I'm changing my user name. And start posting like crazy.

---------- Post added 02-10-16 at 06:07 PM ----------

I see what you are saying technically speaking. But this is a writing style issue. Some people use 3 to 4 word sentences and some use 30 to 40 and lots of commas. For future contests maybe a word limit would be better?? Otherwise no worries here.