Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1204 Likes Search this Thread
08-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #766
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
a) the lens extends hell of a lot. And with the hood attached a tripod is a MUST at 300mm, not unless you are a superman and can hold it steady. Use the 2 or 3 second delay.
Are we talking about the same 55-300?! Seriously, I have the HD version and I'd say it's light-weight (hood installed or otherwise) and easy to shoot hand-held at 300mm so long as you practice good, standard technique and hold, and keep the shutter speed at 1/500s or faster (actually, with SR on you can shoot it at much longer shutter speeds, but 1/500s pretty much guarantees a good shot)...

08-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #767
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Are we talking about the same 55-300?! Seriously, I have the HD version and I'd say it's light-weight (hood installed or otherwise) and easy to shoot hand-held at 300mm so long as you practice good, standard technique and hold, and keep the shutter speed at 1/500s or faster (actually, with SR on you can shoot it at much longer shutter speeds, but 1/500s pretty much guarantees a good shot)...
I shoot a much bigger, MUCH heavier 100-300 f/4 manual focus push-pull zoom handheld, at 300 with no real issues, so I agree, I see no problem shooting the 55-300 handheld.
11-02-2016, 04:08 PM - 3 Likes   #768
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay. I just realized that I have posted to a long-completed contest. When you are old and retired you often don't pay much attention to dates - just three days, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. So I am late and the party is over. But the tips won't change.

I have read all of the tips and suggestions, and there are so many of them that I can't remember them all. So there may be one or two repeats here.
  • DO NOT take your camera with you all the time! If you do, you will soon become very lonely. Of course, you can always curl up at night with your 500px account.
  • The same can be said for the tip about reading your manual in bed!
  • DIY: Do It Yourself. Make a thing - some piece of gear. It can be a light box, an extension tube, etc. You will have ownership and work hard with it, learning technique. You will also most likely build it at least twice. I built a groundpod using a $9 frying pan and some bits from Lowes rather than buying the $100 plastic one. I find getting low gives me a new perspective with shore birds.
  • TRY A VEST. Go to Bass Pro Shops (or similar) and buy a vest with lots of pockets (approx. $40). Carry stuff without carrying a bag. And the weight is evenly distributed.
  • DIGITAL FILM IS CHEAP. While I don't advocate "spray and pray," I do believe in the car dealer who says, "We make it up in volume." So do I. Turn on the Continuous Shooting and take several shots - generally the ones in the middle of the burst are the best.
  • DO NOT carry a pump spray bottle of DEET near plastic things in your camera bag. Just trust me on this one.

Last edited by AggieDad; 11-02-2016 at 04:20 PM.
11-05-2016, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #769
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Okay. I just realized that I have posted to a long-completed contest. When you are old and retired you often don't pay much attention to dates - just three days, yesterday, today, and tomorrow. So I am late and the party is over. But the tips won't change.

I have read all of the tips and suggestions, and there are so many of them that I can't remember them all. So there may be one or two repeats here.
  • DO NOT take your camera with you all the time! If you do, you will soon become very lonely. Of course, you can always curl up at night with your 500px account.
  • The same can be said for the tip about reading your manual in bed!
  • DIY: Do It Yourself. Make a thing - some piece of gear. It can be a light box, an extension tube, etc. You will have ownership and work hard with it, learning technique. You will also most likely build it at least twice. I built a groundpod using a $9 frying pan and some bits from Lowes rather than buying the $100 plastic one. I find getting low gives me a new perspective with shore birds.
  • TRY A VEST. Go to Bass Pro Shops (or similar) and buy a vest with lots of pockets (approx. $40). Carry stuff without carrying a bag. And the weight is evenly distributed.
  • DIGITAL FILM IS CHEAP. While I don't advocate "spray and pray," I do believe in the car dealer who says, "We make it up in volume." So do I. Turn on the Continuous Shooting and take several shots - generally the ones in the middle of the burst are the best.
  • DO NOT carry a pump spray bottle of DEET near plastic things in your camera bag. Just trust me on this one.
Good tips here, but I disagree strongly with your first one. While you shouldn't perhaps carry your DSLR with you all the time, you should ALWAYS have a camera on you. ALWAYS. Unless prohibited by law. I have my pocket camera with me everywhere, and I would never leave the house without it now. A Cellphone camera is always on you, also; as long as it's decent, that can be your carry-everywhere. My cellphone is decent, but it's not anywhere near as good as my pocket cam, so I carry both all the time.

01-12-2017, 06:28 AM   #770
Forum Member

Get in the habit of preparing your camera for the next photo shoot when putting it away. One suggestion is to clean the lens if needed, change or charge the battery, set the camera to shutter priority, shutter speed to 1/500 sec. , ISO to 1600 and press the Green reset button to return settings to their default values. These settings allow you to guickly capture the next shot when an opportunity presents itself.
01-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #771
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mundj Quote
Get in the habit of preparing your camera for the next photo shoot when putting it away. One suggestion is to clean the lens if needed, change or charge the battery, set the camera to shutter priority, shutter speed to 1/500 sec. , ISO to 1600 and press the Green reset button to return settings to their default values. These settings allow you to guickly capture the next shot when an opportunity presents itself.
I think he meant in the sense that if you take it literally everywhere, the people you are with, if not photographers also, will soon get tired and annoyed with you and your camera (say roadtrip 2hrs away but take like 3.5-4hrs because you kept stopping for half an hour to take landscape photos so everyone is annoyed with you because they dont enjoy photography and they just wait around twiddling their thumbs)... then again, I may be reading way too much into this one
01-27-2017, 03:45 PM   #772
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
DO NOT carry a pump spray bottle of DEET near plastic things in your camera bag. Just trust me on this one.
Yep, I once wrecked the plastic on some binoculars with DEET on the fingers. And it's horrible stuff anyway.

01-29-2017, 03:40 PM   #773
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Yep, I once wrecked the plastic on some binoculars with DEET on the fingers. And it's horrible stuff anyway.
I've started using picardin for blackflies/deerflies. Not nearly as nasty. And I treat my cloths with permethrin for ticks. I usually have Deet with me, but I almost never use it.
01-29-2017, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #774
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I stopped using DEET after it ate part of the dash in our Toyota van.
02-06-2017, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #775
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fumanchu1 Quote
I think he meant in the sense that if you take it literally everywhere, the people you are with, if not photographers also, will soon get tired and annoyed with you and your camera (say roadtrip 2hrs away but take like 3.5-4hrs because you kept stopping for half an hour to take landscape photos so everyone is annoyed with you because they dont enjoy photography and they just wait around twiddling their thumbs)... then again, I may be reading way too much into this one
You are. Though not having to fiddle with it for several minutes when it comes out of the bag to take a photo so you and your group of non-photographers will also be appreciated.

I am a take-a-camera-everywhere photographer, and though I ask to take photos and sometimes even stop to take one, I'm always as quick as I can be and thank them for stopping.