Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2016, 10:51 PM - 2 Likes   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
While 'how to' books are useful, also invest your money in books by the great photographers. It's another way of learning the language of photographic imagery and how to see. At work I have a small photography collection and no matter what I'm working on there's always one of these books lying open on my desk with an example of an inspiring photograph.

01-15-2016, 11:25 PM - 3 Likes   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Zoom Lens tips.

Use the longest focal length as a spot meter on you subject to save switching to spot metering, then zoom back to desired focal length.

Remember to increase shutter speed too when using longer focal length, the shutter speed should about equal the focal length ; 200mm focal length with 200 hundredth of a second.

Last edited by gmans; 01-15-2016 at 11:31 PM.
01-16-2016, 12:26 AM   #78

When photographing one person in a shot and to get a nice bokeh make sure to use a aperture of 1.8 to 3.5.
Thanks!

Last edited by photolady95; 01-16-2016 at 12:39 AM. Reason: removed personal link
01-16-2016, 12:29 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Do not fall foul of the Pentax Forum moderator with an inappropriate image.
Hope this one from the Tamron SP60-300mm taken on holiday is O.K.
Good tip made me laugh. like the cat photo as well.

01-16-2016, 01:25 AM - 7 Likes   #80

Sometimes capturing a great image can start with just being in the right place at the right time. And the more you get out there and explore, the more chances you will get to capture great images. You might go out planning to snap a shot of a butterfly, and then stumble upon something much more spectacular. This photo is an example of what I'm talking about. The day I bought my first digital camera back in 2002, I was testing it out in my back yard and stumbled upon Bambie
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DSC-P100  Photo 
01-16-2016, 02:32 AM - 3 Likes   #81

-The most important piece of photo equipment is a pair of good, comfortable shoes: use them as much as you can.
-Instead of buying another piece of equpiment, consider using the money for photo books (preferably books on photographers you like or are curious about) or even a photo expedition/holiday.
-Analyse photos: take ten photos you like very much and analyse them very carefully (composition, lighting, perspective, subject, interpretation of subject, your initial response to the photo compared to a considered response etc etc - I have devised a checklist for myself for this purpose), then do the same to ten of your own.
-Shoot raw (unless you shoot film, of course).
-If you don't have a pair of comfortable shoes, get one!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
01-16-2016, 03:06 AM - 2 Likes   #82
Forum Member

The best tip I learned from observing a famous pro fashion photographer work his magic when I started photography is to always visualize your shot before you actually pick up the camera and shoot. Plan about composition, lighting, and what you're trying to achieve and then try to implement your vision with the equipment you have.
01-16-2016, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #83

keep it basic.

In case of problems, try turning the camera off and on again!

01-16-2016, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #84

Photos: Albums
Underwater photos

If you use compact waterproof camera like Pentax W80 or newer one WG series try to compose photo half under and half above water level to get results like this, or try to dive deeper and take a photo up in the sun!
You can see more photos in my gallery: Pentax W80 | sasajuic.iz.hr | Sasa Juic

Best regards
Sasa Juic
Home Page | Sasa Juic

01-16-2016, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #85
Pentaxian

Justs shoot it's really that simple!
01-16-2016, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #86

Forget about "cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing". As they say: f/8 and be there. Take a camera, any camera, everywhere you go, and be ready to use it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
01-16-2016, 04:23 AM - 4 Likes   #87

My tips for landscape

1 Long lenses can be useful for landscape.

2 It is better to know where you are going to take the picture. If you have not visited this place yet, search on the web and Google Earth and Weather pages

3 Get up early. I mean early

4 Get a good, solid tripod, a remote release and good warm clothes and boots

5 Enjoy and share your work
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-16-2016, 04:25 AM   #88

I think the only thing I can add here would be simply to just go out and take photos. Spending time online reading tips and looking at the works of others is good in small dosages. The more important thing is trying things out for yourself. Being in an age of digital photography means we have the luxury of taking heaps of pics without worry (I feel for novices back in the film era). So stop wasting precious time taking photographs by being here!
01-16-2016, 05:07 AM   #89
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

The most basic things are those that people forget, in all the preoccupation with technology. What I'm thinking of is the fact that what you're capturing is reflected light. You're not photographing the scene in front of you; the reality of that scene is not something you can capture. What you're taking away is a response to the light that was reflected (or perhaps generated) by elements of that scene. And the thing that people forget is that the texture of the objects affects how the light is reflected. Disparate elements of the scene will reflect (or generate) light differently, and one element of good composition is to be aware of those differences. It's as if you're painting the picture with textures, rather than merely clicking a button to capture an image. Color, shading, everything else is subordinate to texture, because that's what governs the nature of the light that hits the lens. It's a zen thing, that awareness. Stop talking to yourself, quell the internal dialog, and be aware of the light. Seems simple, but it's perhaps the hardest thing for most people to do.

Also, I NEEEED that lens!

Last edited by dlh; 03-03-2016 at 06:51 AM.
01-16-2016, 05:20 AM - 2 Likes   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photography is about beauty; sharing it, but above all stopping to recognize it in your everyday life and surroundings. Don't worry if you don't live in the most amazing location, or don't have "interesting" events or subjects at your fingertips to photograph regularly. Just get out and shoot, wherever you are, whenever you can. The beauty is there, if you look for it. It's in a smile, a flower, the tiniest insect, and the grandest scene. It's there night and day. Go photograph it, and let your camera help you learn to recognize and appreciate it.