Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #106
Veteran Member

I do not have much tricks and still in the process of learning. Here is my own experience
1). Shot the subjects you feel interesting or exciting.
2). Pentaxforum, Flickr, 500px , dpreview ... A lot of places you can find exciting photos and stories behind those great works.
3). Fun, always have fun!!

01-16-2016, 10:46 AM - 2 Likes   #107

Well not sure about providing phot advice, since I need all the advice I can get. I find this forum very helpful.

The only advice I can offer is encourage the youth. I bought my K50 as a birthday present for myself, but also, with the intention of introducing my 13 yo daughter to photography. Needless to say, we been enjoying a new connection by going on outings, experimenting with different photo settings from night scenes to portraits. That's the best gift I bought for myself.
01-16-2016, 11:24 AM - 2 Likes   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Always come back to this forum. It is full of great people who can answer your questions.
01-16-2016, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even when you can't get an unobstructed view it's still fun to get pics from a airplane. Here's a time lapse
that I made with stills from a GoPro made on a flight from SEA to DFW. I made a clamp rig for the GoPro from a carpenter's wood clamp ($6 from local big box hardware store. This one is similar.) by drilling a hole in the handle and using a nut/bolt/fender washer with a thread appropriate for GoPro mounting hardware. I then clamped to the rig to the window side armrest and pointed to camera out of the window and let it take shots for the ~4 hours from Seattle to Dallas. A similar clamp rig could be made for a DSLR but I have not explored that. If you don't want to switch out batteries on your GoPro during long captures you can use a USB battery pack that are sold to recharge mobile devices. I've shot ~7-8 hours on a single battery pack charge but YMMV depending on the pack used.

01-16-2016, 11:46 AM - 4 Likes   #110

Take your Pentax wherever you go! Outstanding frost, wind and humidity is not a problem - provided that you can handle (horizontal lines is snow on the wind about 60-70km/h,).

Every year I do a lot of similar photographs, the equipment did not disappoint me even once. Several times I saw cameras competing brands refusing to cooperate - Thank you Pentax.

Attached Images

01-16-2016, 12:13 PM - 5 Likes   #111

I like this:
Amateurs worry about cameras. Professionals worry about lenses. Photographers worry about light.
01-16-2016, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #112

It's not about the best gear, it's not about the best photo. It's about having fun. Enjoy
01-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Include the Pentax DA 10-17 mm fisheye (or similar) in your everyday lens collection. Fisheye images can give you exactly the expression you strive for, but cannot achieve with your widest wide-angle. You will have to use it a lot to get the most out of it. Keep in mind that straight lines pointing towards/through the center of the image also will be straight in the image.

Attached Images

01-16-2016, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aksel Quote
I like this:
Amateurs worry about cameras. Professionals worry about lenses. Photographers worry about light.

Love this quote!
01-16-2016, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Always say 'Please' and 'Thank you'.
01-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nozoom Quote
Include the Pentax DA 10-17 mm fisheye (or similar) in your everyday lens collection. Fisheye images can give you exactly the expression you strive for, but cannot achieve with your widest wide-angle. You will have to use it a lot to get the most out of it. Keep in mind that straight lines pointing towards/through the center of the image also will be straight in the image.
Never really wanted a fish-eye until now after seeing that shot. Awesome image.
01-16-2016, 02:00 PM - 4 Likes   #117
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best results come from the best lenses. After lenses, a good set of ND filters and a polarized filter are next. Take the time to look at filter holders or circular filters. Reference the below image and if you'd like more examples, go to this example page I created.
01-16-2016, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #118

Tips for shooting "hot" demonstrations from inside

Equip yourself in order to protect yourself and your gear (helmet, plastic bags if your gear isn't tropicalized...).
A wide angle or trans-standard with wide aperture lens is the best, to get close to the action and shoot fast, as things go crazy sometimes.
Don't forget to beware of the police, generally more dangerous than the demonstrators, who you can simply talk to, explaining what you are doing and letting them know that you won't publish incriminating shots (i.e. for example, faces of people committing illegal acts).
Keep calm and don't run when police is charging and show your camera obviously to them, so that they consider you as some kind of journalist (and if you actually are a journalist, you have ways to show it more obviously).
Focus on shooting and getting the actual picture of an action more than getting the perfect framing and exposure, if you have to choose.
Attached Images

01-16-2016, 02:32 PM - 2 Likes   #119

Experiment with full manual modes. Nothing will give you a more intuitive understanding of the camera and lens than spending the time messing around in full manual. You may even end up with some keepers!
01-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #120
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
A tip I've found most useful is to pay attention to white balance, especially if you shoot jpg. i sometimes carry a grey card, but if I don't have room for that, a nice very white sheet of printer paper can easily be tucked into any camera bag. You can either set your white balance manually using the sheet, or if you are shooting raw, a shot of the paper can save you a bit of time in post processing since you can use that as a reference point and copy it to other images.