Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2016, 08:08 PM - 8 Likes   #61

Long Exposures Without Filter - Smooth water in full sun and ghost out people

While this technique can be achieved in post production with numerous shots, you can save time doing it in-camera while you are on location.

What you need:
1) Pentax Camera that supports Average Composite of Multiple Exposures (K3)
2) Tripod
3) Remote Shutter Release (not absolutely needed)

Technique:
1) Frame you scene on your tripod.
2) Place your camera in "Interval Composite" mode
3) Set Composite Mode to "Average",
- Uncheck "Save Process" if you do not want every photo in the interval
- Chose an interval between each photo (I recommend making the interval longer then the exposure length. So an exposure or 3 seconds at say f22 would prompt me to use an interval of 4 or 5)
- Chose number of shots (Choppy water or a crowded areas will require more shots to smooth water or ghost people)
- Chose the time to start the interval (Either select to start when you press the shutter button/remote or set a specific time if you don't have a remote and don't want to shake the tripod)
4) If you are photographing a scene with something like foliage that you want sharp, simply change your exposure mode and take a single frame that freezes that portion of the screen and composite your interval photo with it in post.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-15-2016, 08:27 PM - 2 Likes   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No matter what lens you have on your camera, even if you think it's the wrong one or didn't have time to change it before leaving the house, you'll find a way to take a good shot with it!

That is if you, as mentioned before, actually take your camera with.
01-15-2016, 08:30 PM - 5 Likes   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Value of a Polarizing Filter. If your camera lens(es) have filter threads on them you will definitely want a polarizing filter. Why?
- Allows you to reduce reflections from windows, glossy things and even wet leaves. A polarizer can bring out colors in many outdoor scenes.
- Darkens blue skies. Ever wondered how to make those deep, dark blue skies? With a polarizer.
- Takes the glare off of lakes, rivers or other bodies of water.
Polarizers are fairly inexpensive. Modern cameras require a Circular Polarizer, often marked "CPL". For a quality, economical polarizer, I recommend Hoya brand. If you want the best optical quality, look for B+W. Make sure you check the filter thread diameter of your lens before you buy.
01-15-2016, 08:39 PM - 9 Likes   #64

For astrophotography: Don't trust the infinity stops for any lens, and especially not those made by Samyang (Rokinon, Bower, etc). Instead, go into Live View, zoom in using the "ok" button in the middle of the directional pad, and locate the brightest star. Now, focus the lens until the star is as small as possible and seems to be fading in and out. That is the "twinkling" of the star as reproduced with the live view's refresh rate. That star and the entire night sky should now be in focus. But always take a test shot to be sure!

01-15-2016, 08:57 PM - 9 Likes   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Secret to perfect reflecting pool shots in landscapes

Here is the #1 best way to nail that perfect reflecting pool in a landscape photo.

1. Use a tripod. Get a high quality tripod and ball head or pan tilt head. This is a must.

2. Here's the key to getting that perfect reflection photo. Get low. Get really low. Get your tripod and camera as close to the ground as possible. This is the single most important thing you have to do.

It's really that simple. This picture was made with my 4 section tripod. The camera was just above knee height. The focal length was 70mm @ F11 and the reflecting pool was about 15 feet from the camera. This image made it into PPG.

You will be amazed at how great your pictures will turn out by just getting low to the ground.

Please vote for me... I've love to win the lens!

01-15-2016, 09:03 PM - 11 Likes   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"In art, there is more than one solution." At the 10,000+ foot summit of Haleakala (House of the Sun in Hawaiian) on Maui, my entire class went to the edge to shoot essentially the same sunset. As sunsets are common, my instinct was to get away from the crowd so I could shoot their silhouettes. We were above the vog layer (volcanic smog) and at altitude, got an unusual spectrum of color. Bonus tips: Use the "rule of thirds" and a dominant negative space. Pentax 645, Pentax SMC A 75mm, f/11 @ 1/250" on Kodak Ektar 100, EI 80, cropped square.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alex645; 01-15-2016 at 09:09 PM.
01-15-2016, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HD 55-300 giveaway tip

Use a tripod!

01-15-2016, 09:33 PM   #68

Hi guys,

From a relative newbie here are a couple of tips that have helped me:
Adjust your autofocus settings to suit your subject
Try using exposure bracketing. This increases your chances of getting a well exposed shot and is also handy for experimenting later with HDR in Lr.
If you're going for a nice sharp shot, try using a tripod.
01-15-2016, 09:35 PM - 4 Likes   #69
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

A quick tips for shooting with long lenses out in a place where you can't use a tripod that I have used is to get a couple bean bags and the use that on a stump, fence post, rock, or your car and shoot away. It provides awesome stability, is super cheap, and is very portable. I will add a picture of how I do it when I get home. If you can't get a bean bag to take with you a thick zip lock bag filled with some dirt will work great too, and adds nearly no weight to the backpack!
01-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is my simple tip that I follow everyday:

Take your camera with you, all day, everyday. I have mine with me everyday. I have had great pictures happen because I had my camera with me. The only way to get the shot is to having something to shoot with. You are gifted with random, sporadic moments in your everyday living that beg to be captured, but can't be done so without a camera.
01-15-2016, 09:50 PM - 2 Likes   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use viewfinder cap during long exposures

Use your view finder cap to cover your viewfinder to prevent light leaks during long exposures. Lost your cap? Use black gaffers tape.
01-15-2016, 09:54 PM - 5 Likes   #72

If you see something you're determined to shoot, take as many shots as you need to capture it. I took this hand held because I didn't have a tripod with me. It took 27 attempts but I finally got the image I wanted. Don't give up!
Attached Images

01-15-2016, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #73

Being new to this I don't really have much advice to give, however one thing that I have noticed that has helped me in my pictures is to not only think about the subject of your pictures and the lighting, but also look at the space around your subject, the negative space and think about how you can use that to enhance your subject. Try and think about how you can use the patterns or walls around your subject to make it stand out. It's helped me a lot Thanks for the giveaway guys!
01-15-2016, 09:56 PM - 2 Likes   #74

I shoot a lot in the winter, a good reason to own Pentax and WR lenses. It is going to be -20F both days this weekend and no matter what camera you use at those temps batteries don't last long if you're outside much. I use a Think Tank Photo Digital Holster 30 V2.0 which can fit up to a K3, DA*300mm with the DA 1.4x tc attached plus hood. At the bottom I put a spare battery and then a small chemical heat pack hand warmer between the spare battery and hood. They are good for ~8 hours and don't get too hot, but are warm enough to keep the LCD screen working and batteries from dying. I have the chest strap system, it is quick and easy to get to and I can spend all day outside and have a working camera no matter what the temperature is. It was -22F (-30C) when I took this picture from the dog sled.

01-15-2016, 10:46 PM   #75

My tip/suggestion. "Take more photos"...