Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1204 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #151

Photos: Gallery
With the new sensors, I've had much better results taking a RAW shot that seems too dark and then lifting the dark portions in post. If I try to expose to the right, I always seems to run out of headroom on the highlights.

01-17-2016, 07:20 AM - 2 Likes   #152

Use coloured velcro strips to wrap batteries. Red for discharged green for charged.
01-17-2016, 07:23 AM   #153
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax Quick-Shift focus puts you ahead of the Pack

That Quick-Shift focus feature of your DA lens has many more uses than just a backup to multi-point autofocus. It can be used to prefocus telephoto shots for rapid acquisition. It also allows a perfect touch-up to portraits where focus on the eyes is a must. In macro shots it lets you tune the precise depth of focus after autofocus. In my experience, the Quick-Shift focus works better than comparable focus aids for other brands and puts you ahead of the pack!
01-17-2016, 07:26 AM - 3 Likes   #154

Photos: Albums
Backup drives are cheap, make backups.... make backups of backups. If you only have one, that one can fail.

I usually end up with 3 copies. 1) computer's hard drive (until I need more space), 2) backup drive, 3) another backup drive (copy of #2 at a less frequent interval)

Two is one, one is none.

01-17-2016, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #155

QuoteOriginally posted by skrewloose Quote
Backup drives are cheap, make backups.... make backups of backups. If you only have one, that one can fail.

I usually end up with 3 copies. 1) computer's hard drive (until I need more space), 2) backup drive, 3) another backup drive (copy of #2 at a less frequent interval)

Two is one, one is none.
Having spent a weekend with a couple professional photographers, I have learnt to appreciate shooting everything in RAW. The beauty comes out in the post production. So... I have migrated from using Apple Mac's Photos and decided to subscribe to Adobe's Photographer Package for $9.99/m. You get Lightroom and Photoshop. What a deal! If you ever considered the stand alone price of Photoshop. I immediately went on YouTube and looked for some tutorials for Lightroom. Oh Wow! What you can do with it. It really takes your photography to a new level. Overshoot, and choose. I love the Cut and Paste feature for fast developing of similar shots. It cuts down my Post-Edit time tremendously. A sweet feature is the quick ability to watermark your photos before sharing them on your social media. This is a great way to take your photography to a whole new level.
Here is one of my pieces. Shot with K-3, DA 18-250mm
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-17-2016, 07:58 AM - 3 Likes   #156

My top tip is to shoot RAW! For an old film shooter like me, it was a revelation. It's like being able to choose your film after you take the picture! And you don't need expensive tools like Lightroom to enjoy it. UFRaw and RAWTherapee are excellent free tools.
01-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #157

For long range telephoto as the 50-300:
1. Try to use as much larger focal length as possible - beyond 135.
2. Use a tripod and always use manual focus set to infinity.
3. Have confidence that your camera and lenses are the best and focus on subject.
4. For moving subjects, take burst of photos to be sure you capture the right moment.

01-17-2016, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #158
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is one of the best tips i could possibly share for all lqndscape photographers, or photographers who go afield with tripods:

Put a strap on your tripod!

It frees your hand, lets tou settle the tripods weight however you wish, keeps it relatively ready and makes walking with a tripod so much easier. It seems so simple but it may be the smartest thing i ever did for my photography.
01-17-2016, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you don't have your camera you can still practice the art. Understand and think about the world around you. Learn about your subjects. Watch how lighting and viewpoint affects your interpretation of scene and subject. Think about how the scene may change depending on time of day or night. Challenge yourself to learn and try new techniques. Camera in hand or not you can always be improving your skills as a photographer.
01-17-2016, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #160

That camera strap is not to go round your neck but your wrist. A camera bouncing on your chest is awkward and uncomfortable. Make a loop of strap round your right wrist and hold the camera by its grip. Look first, then raise and shoot.
01-17-2016, 08:07 AM   #161
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KC0PET Quote
The Value of a Polarizing Filter. If your camera lens(es) have filter threads on them you will definitely want a polarizing filter. Why?
- Allows you to reduce reflections from windows, glossy things and even wet leaves. A polarizer can bring out colors in many outdoor scenes.
- Darkens blue skies. Ever wondered how to make those deep, dark blue skies? With a polarizer.
- Takes the glare off of lakes, rivers or other bodies of water.
Polarizers are fairly inexpensive. Modern cameras require a Circular Polarizer, often marked "CPL". For a quality, economical polarizer, I recommend Hoya brand. If you want the best optical quality, look for B+W. Make sure you check the filter thread diameter of your lens before you buy.
Put one on my Sigma 18-250 lens on my K3 on a month long journey through the U. K. And Ireland. It saved my b... More than once in clearing most, if not all of the window glare.
01-17-2016, 08:12 AM   #162
Forum Member

Great tips for this poor Newbie....
01-17-2016, 08:25 AM - 8 Likes   #163
Inactive Account

Tip on how-to freeze the time itself!!

Want to freeze time and take awesome highspeed-photographs? Here is a tip for you:

"1. Make a little space on the floor with a plain background, put your camera on a tripod, set it to manual and darken the room enough so that you get a completely black picture at 5 sec. exposure (low iso, high aperture).
2. Get something to "shoot" the object that is supposed to splash, explode, fragment or scatter around - like a nerf-gun or a small crossbow - and aim it at the very object.
3. Have a remote flash on manual (dim it down, this gives you a shorter flash duration) ready in your other hand with your finger on the "test-button" also aimed at the object.
4. Trigger the camera, get your finger on your gun/crossbow, then shoot and fire the flash simultaneously.
5. With a little luck and after some experimentation(and maybe after removing the dart with some software) you have just taken an awesome highspeed-photograph!"

(Please excuse any mistakes, German schools don't teach the best English)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG GX10  Photo 
01-17-2016, 08:34 AM - 3 Likes   #164

Travel to places you have never seen.
Open your eyes.
Ask people how they live.
Take fotos.

Dont loose them on the SD Card - make a fotobook with the best fotos of your trip.
Travel in mind while looking in your book.
Attached Images

01-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #165

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
Don't forget to take advantage of the close focusing capabilities of your wide-angle 24mm and 28mm prime lenses. Use wide apertures for narrow DoF and creamy bokeh. Image below captured with Sigma 24mm, 1/40 sec, f2.8, ISO 400