Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 09:27 AM - 1 Like   #181
Veteran Member

Walk! Run! Move!

I noticed that as I used zooms more and more, I tended to see what might be an interesting photo and then zoom to what seemed decent enough. Makes sense?

When using primes though, I might have an idea, but from my current position, it often isn't going to work. Knowing that I have to move to get anything close to what I want, I look for best position and angle, and taking this extra time makes a difference. My results are better.

Yes, I realize I could do the same thing with the zoom, but... using a prime makes me take more time and think about what I am doing.... Convenience is sometimes a hinderance to quality....

That said, uhm... that 55-300 sure looks nice! Mmmm....

01-17-2016, 09:27 AM - 5 Likes   #182

Photos: Gallery
When You try to make a nice fish tank photography, and don't have a tripod - use lens hood propped agaist tank glass, for body stabilisation, and against external reflection

01-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #183

When possible, carry a tripod (even a small one) with you.
Many technique mistakes are down to camera handling and having a solid foundation (metaphorically and realistically) is of utmost essence.
This is something that when wrong can break an otherwise great shot (it's very easy to mistake a pinpoint focus shot on the small camera viewscreen).
It cost me a lot of possibly good shots until I realized this advice.
01-17-2016, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #184

Photos: Albums
I'm way too amateur to offer pro tips, so I'll offer a place tip.

If you're even in Vancouver between mid-december and may, wait for a blue day with passing clouds and take the 30 minute drive to the Seymour Ski area. Bring waterproof shoes and pants.

You'll never find a place so bright, contrasted, complexly lit, and staged with such an enormous diversity of topography and panoramic presence and depth. It's like cheating!

Attached Images

01-17-2016, 09:43 AM - 5 Likes   #185
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Overcoming Red colors in Pentax DSLRs

Pentaxes are known to be bamboozled by reds especially if overexposed. So underexpose if shooting bright red colors. Now lighten the photo in post to bring out the true colors of red.

Photo in the link stared out dark and was lightened in PP: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1oscgs2v77o4nte/AABAJwmGIa0R6WnyLXV50ddga?dl=0
01-17-2016, 09:48 AM   #186

Photos: Albums
Well, my tip isn't really about photography, but it's more aout filmmaking! Whenever possible, and if you can AFFORD it, get two cmaeras of the same make and model to shoot with to save time (and in the long run, money!). In the first webisode of season two my webseries PREFLIGHT LAUNCH, I used a Pentax K-30 and a K-50, and there are differences seen between the two sets of footage. It may be subtle, but it is noticable. For the rest of the series, I used two K-30's (I love the controls on those!) and the difference is clear, at least to me!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGTI3I4zM-3gSbunlY0shjraJzDqtTx1b
01-17-2016, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #187
Forum Member

From my short wild life photography experience, I can say that the light, distance and camera settings are the most important things. A better lens can change the distance or the light but every lens has some limits.

Sometimes I see something but it is very far and even from the picture I can't recognize it. Sometimes I'm happy to see a bird or an animal but my camera settings are wrong

I need to know the possibilities of the equipment but also I need some luck and a chance to take a good picture within the range of my possibilities

So, there is a reason to appreciate moments like that one on the picture very much.

I took that picture from a moving motor boat:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/snimcho/16486310345/in/album-72157650333272469/

Finally, sometimes the high ISO helps
https://www.flickr.com/photos/snimcho/16298886530/in/album-72157648409071493/

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
01-17-2016, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #188

Win a HD Pentax DA 55-300mm lens: Giveaway!

As I am still trying to learn just how to make my photos great, the only tip I have is keep going back to the same location and shoot it again and again at all different times of day and lighting until you are happy with your capture.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XSi  Photo 
01-17-2016, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #189

tip

from a beginners point of view my top tip would be either join a local club or do a course at a further education centre. Youll be amazed at what you dont know
01-17-2016, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #190

Been taking sports pictures and this lens would be a great asset
01-17-2016, 10:13 AM - 3 Likes   #191
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A buying tip for those who like old lenses: try shopping on etsy.com. Collectors there often have high quality, older equipment, with better values than you find on eBay. And don't forget Goodwill's website either, although it can be tough to figure out the condition or equipment, or the mounts for lenses.
01-17-2016, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #192

Its all about concept

The most important thing about photography is your concept, not your gears or how you tweak them. You need to have an eye that can quickly spot a subject, and use your creativity to take a photo in such a way, that others wont think of. Sometimes, you need to do staging by rearranging subjects, changing angles, changing lighting, communicating with people and asking them to pose the way you imagined your concept. And you will be getting outstanding and unique photos in no time.
01-17-2016, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #193
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
When you are just about to hit the shutter button, hand holding the camera I have found it helps to draw in a small breath hold it, shoot and the exhale.
Tim
01-17-2016, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #194

Its basic but.......

I think that its a good idea to always have your tripod with you and use it , the nature of taking photographs with a tripod I find concentrates my mind and makes consideration of the image in the viewfinder important . It works for me !
01-17-2016, 10:32 AM - 2 Likes   #195
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't be afraid to buy and try out many of the older K-mount Pentax lenses listed here on the Pentax Lens Review tab. This is an invaluable source for all Pentax lenses past and present. When I started with the Pentax DSLR 4 years ago (K-5) I started buying and trying all the lenses I could to see what I liked, advantages and disadvantages. You learn by trying. I probably bought and sold at least a dozen lenses, keeping the ones I felt were best for my shooting style. So get out there and start researching! That's half the fun!

My favorite lens, the F*300