Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1204 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #211
Forum Member

Some beginner thoughts:

1. For still macro photography use a tripod and the 2 second delay setting in-camera to avoid hand induced shake.
2. Have a spare battery - or two - and charge the spent ones when you get home.
3. You can shoot into the light (not directly at the sun) and get great shots.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
01-17-2016, 11:45 AM - 2 Likes   #212

I'm a Graphic Design college student and I learned from my Studio Photography professor that: Good photographs comes from the Photographer, not the camera.

If you want a really expensive DSLR camera (such as Canon 5dmark iii) always start with the basics.
If you don't know the basics of photography (like depths of field, exposure, etc), basic camera settings (like aperture priority, metering,etc) and most importantly composition then what's the point of buying that expensive DSLR?
It's the same with drawing, start with cheaper material—learn composition— then once you've mastered it and worked your way up that's when you can start to buy expensive drawing materials!
Composition is so important when it comes to good photography!

Thanks for hosting this giveaway, Adam!
01-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently got a Bower 8mm Fisheye - and took some shots- stitched 2 together for this shot. Seems some photographers do not consider stitching for such wide angle lenses. Easy peasy!
01-17-2016, 12:02 PM - 4 Likes   #214
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't know if this has already been said, but the most important person to please in your pictures is YOU. Don't go out photographing with the goal of winning a contest, getting published, impressing others, achieving perfect composition, textbook results, etc. If no one else likes your pictures, but you do, then your goal has been accomplished. Chances are, the happier you are with your shots, others in time also will be, but that's just icing on the cake.

01-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #215
Forum Member

Best advice that was given to me is that photography isn't easy, but that doesn't mean it should be tedious. Find things you're passionate about taking pictures of and work to get better every time you shoot!
01-17-2016, 12:09 PM - 2 Likes   #216

Catch-in-focus. Read this if you are not familiar with this feature-
This feature is mainly intended as aid for manual focus lens, but it is useful for all kinds of lens!
On manual focus, if catch-in-focus is enabled, after setting a desired focus you press the shutter-
The camera will not fire until your frame is in focus (which might happen if the subject or the camera is moving).
For example - using this technique with fast exposure time you can have a really sharp photo of a speeding car with just a manual lens ENJOY
01-17-2016, 12:16 PM - 4 Likes   #217

From time to time remember that photography is not always about the perfect shot,
but about creating emotions through the pictures we take.

01-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #218
Inactive Account

Adjustment for movie shooting

I have encountered a problem when recording video with my K-50. On playback, the video has flucuations in the light levels. It appears as though the camera is trying to select the correct light level. I am still a beginner with this camera even though I have had it for almost a year. I am just starting my photography hobby so I have a lot to learn.

Right now I am using an extreme pro 95mb/s 16gb scandisk card. This card did great for auto racing photos over the summer, I am wondering if I should use a different card for portrait pictures?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-17-2016, 12:26 PM - 3 Likes   #219

My advice is simple, crouch down or look up. Sometimes looking at a scene from a perspective other than our natural height will give us spectacular photos.
01-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photography is great because it allows us to capture what we see, but also what we don't see.

Look out your window, walk around your house, or your neighborhood; does anything catch your eye?
Think about why it does, try to capture that.

Try a long exposure, or multiple exposure to capture images, freeze or blur objects in motion.

Desperation spurs inspiration, trying to get a shot in daily encourages me to try anything.
01-17-2016, 12:30 PM   #221

Photography is poetry with images. Speak with your camera.

And...

Always remember to take off the lens cap. Because...I have forgotten to do this more times than I can count.
01-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #222

I recently purchased an MZ-6 off of ebay for a whopping $18 and that included shipping. As this body has fully automatic control of the aperture I tried my DA50 1.8. This "crop sensor" lens produced no noticeable vignetting and a great image. Film obviously has no sensor shifting for images stabilization but this little lens definitely performs beond it's price.
01-17-2016, 12:48 PM - 2 Likes   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, as long as you learn from your mistakes
2. Any camera can deliver winning results, it's the eye not the lens
3. Composition is the execution of imagination and reality
4. Winter, spring, summer, and fall is the best season for capturing nature at its best . . . . . and worst
5. Anyone who tells you Pentax does not make good cameras is not a photographer
01-17-2016, 01:00 PM   #224

Join a camera club and participate in their photo salons. The club I belong to has 8 salons a year and you can submit up to 4 photos for each salon. A judge critiques your photos along with other club member's photos and you can learn more from the salons than any book, photo shoot or community ed class.
01-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #225

Sports Action

A ”true” sports action photo tells a story. Some closeups have their place, but true sports action shots show whats going on around the subject, telling a story with the picture.The photo attached shows the setter executing a set. While some photographers would zoom in on the setter, the right shot let's you know that it’s a backwards set with the hitter winding up to pound it home.
Attached Images