Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography on technical side...

Have You noticed the problem at which SD card get out of the slot? After I destroyed one SD trying to get it of the K-5 card slot, I noticed that some of the SD cards come off easily. I just tried to use some sand paper (well, actually at the first approach it was my wifes nailfile ) to get off tiny amount of plastic, it worked.

From this time each new SD card get sandpaper treatment.

01-17-2016, 01:13 PM - 3 Likes   #227

Photos: Gallery
I would advisenature and sports shooters to use manual in order to make quick adjustments toexposure settings as I do with my K3. Constantly changing subjects and lighting conditions, based on yourchanging physical position, require changes that other modes can get wrong dueto mixed lighting etc. Also, planningahead for shutter, aperture and iso settings, based on subject, conditions andpast experience, will improve results. Lastly, practice shots at the location, under similar lightingconditions, can greatly increase the number of successful shots. I took a number of practice shots of divingsea gulls in order not to miss the shot I was after, a fast diving Osprey.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-17-2016, 01:15 PM - 3 Likes   #228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember that excluding undesired elements is just as important as including the elements you wish to capture. When faced with unwanted clutter, change your point of view, enlarge your aperture, use a longer focal length, or re-position your subject and/or physically remove the clutter if possible.

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 01-18-2016 at 09:53 PM.
01-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #229

QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
Join a local Astronomy Club with an Observatory for out of this world photos!

For just $35/year, a little training, and a willingness to volunteer 4 times a year to host the public, I joined the New Jersey Astronomical Association where I now have access to WAY more capable equipment than I could ever afford. My favorite is this Celestron EdgeHD 14" Telescope that is sitting on a tracking mount, aligned, and ready to go anytime the sky and my calendar are both clear at the same time.

$35 for a 3910mm F11 lens: throw in the crop factor and I can literally pull down some galaxies even with NJ light pollution (that's a bigger aperture than the focal length of the lens I hope to win with this submission!) But, I must confess this photo was taken with my phone as my K50 was... preoccupied.
Why do the camera phones get all the attention! Would love to see the results from the K50. I'll have to look for one of those Astronomy Associations around the Bay area.

01-17-2016, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
I enjoy hiking the Conservation Areas near my home. My number one practice is I never leave home without my camera equipment. I have also learned that if I want to capture a shot of birds or other animals, always hike with my Pentax camera around my neck with an appropriate ISO and speed setting with one of my telephoto lenses attached. While I carry my other lenses in my camera bag, I have learned that I can change lenses for other nature shots and not lose a photo opportunity.

The attached is such an example. I spotted some Canada Geese on the far end of the lake. As I quietly approached, they began to take off just as I walked from behind some trees. I was quickly able to capture this shot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
01-17-2016, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #231

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
Good luck to all!
Hope I win and take more nature pictures, but not only static, like I can do with manual lens.

Last edited by harumamburu; 01-18-2016 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Forgot to attach photo
01-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #232

I want to photograph my contry

Hey Guys, im a Pentax K30 owner, i was born in Guatemala Central America, and i want to win this lens cause im soon to make a travel around my country, and ill be taking pictures of the people, architecture, and mayan sculptures.

The main reason why i want this lens, is cause this lens can help me to get more pictures easy without changing the lens. i have 2 kit lenses, a 50-200mm and a 18-55mm.

So the 55-300mm HD lens its way better than the lens that i actually own, so please help me to win this lesn, cause youll be helping me to promote my country, with my pictures.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-17-2016, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #233
Forum Member

On Gear:

Your gear should reflect your needs. Don't buy new lenses until you've mastered the ones you have (or discovered that they aren't worth the trouble.) Being overwhelmed with expensive glass isn't fun.

Your gear should evolve with you. Your interests change. Your subject matter changes. Don't be afraid or ashamed to sell old lenses, flash guns, or even camera bodies to get gear that better suits you. Your gear is there for you, not the other way around.

Know your eyes. They'll tell you when it's time to go autofocus. For me, it's that time.

-JRS
01-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #234

Lens Cap Storage...

When you remove it from the lens, in what pocket should you place your lens cap? In the excitement of the moment, do yourself a favor and consciously place it in the same pocket every time. This will make it easier to locate when it's time to place it back on the lens. One more thing, since most pockets contain lint, gently blow off the inside surface of the cap before you place it back on the lens.
01-17-2016, 02:22 PM - 2 Likes   #235

Photos: Albums
Be creative, get crazy and go through the surroundings or the things that surrounds you to get inspired. Challenge yourself (or in group) and come up with stuff that you wouldn't normally think of using when taking a picture, this is were the odd but fun stuff begins.

Example scenario: LED-based bicycle light and a string.

This very scenario resulted in a Cappuccino photograph having steam coming out on top (string held vertically with light at top illuminating the string while moving it in a long exposure shot).

01-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #236
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3cAPpPciKpJTnlhemZGNjBKVVU/view?usp=sharing

Link to my Macro guide for beginners ... ( Flip book style )
01-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #237

Keep an RF falsh transmitter handy

Although I'm still on a steep learning curve, I found there are some nice shots pre-dawn while waiting for morning light, or post-sunset after the light is gone. Use your flash transmitter to trigger your flash manually during long exposures and create some interesting shots with key items highlighted in different ways.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-17-2016, 02:49 PM   #238

Treasure hunt

Looking for old Pentax lenses? Be aware of the alternatives to ebay. My tip here is two of a handfull, which I know in Northern Europe: “Den Blå Avis” (dba.dk) and “Gul og Gratis”( pentax - S). They are both Danish.

Note: In Denmark Pentax could be purchased across the country in the 1970s and 1980s. Today the market is dominated by Canon, Nikon and Sony. This has an impact on the price of old Pentax lenses.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-17-2016, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #239

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When using Lightroom use the teeth whitening tool to whiten the white around your subject iris's
01-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #240

I used a Sony NEX-3 with a SMC-Pentax-M-50mm-F1.4-Lens
exposure series 1s, 2s, 4s, ... up to ~4min, f22, ISO200
using ImageFuser (enfuse) and LuminanceHDR for postprocessing