Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 03:05 PM - 2 Likes   #241

To take superb macro images (on the cheap) of small insects, flowers etc just attach a Raynox DCR-250 2.5x Super Macro Conversion Lens to the front of your 18-55mm basic lens. With this setup you get much more depth of field than with a macro lens. Zoom back a bit from 55mm and get even more depth of field.

Attached Images

01-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #242

Very simple but pays off big time...take one or two extra shots 'cause you never know who had their eyes closed!
01-17-2016, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #243
phs

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When in Manila, don't ask strangers to take your photo with your camera unless you have a loooong camera strap!
01-17-2016, 03:39 PM - 4 Likes   #244

Essence

My goal, or vision if you will, as a photographer just starting out in the portrait business is this: capture the essence, the spirit, the beauty of the subject. A lofty goal but how to accomplish it? So far this is the only trick I know to even getting close - get to know the subject. I shot a baby this week, and the first thing I did was get down on her level, and talked to her, watched her, let her watch me and decide what she thought about me...for about five minutes, I talked to the mom and got her hopes for the session while I got to know the baby. By the time I starting clicking, I knew the sparkle in her eyes and the thoughtful look on her face that I wanted to capture.

(this picture is one of my favorites from the session)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by kbear; 01-17-2016 at 04:03 PM. Reason: (added photo)
01-17-2016, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #245

minimize

Now that we all own modern, complicated digital cameras with a host of exciting and creative possibilities, take a break and "go retro" once in a while. I enjoy shooting a roll of black and white film in one of my many old film cameras that I've collected over the years. You can purchase a Nikon F, F2, F3, F4 or F5, etc., all of which retailed for thousands of dollars in their day, for a few hundred dollars. I enjoy taking one of these out with one lens, say, a 50mm. The goal is to get one or two images that are worthy of displaying in my home gallery. The attached image was taken with a Pentax 645n with a 45mm f/2.8 lens. Film and black and white chemicals are still readily available. I use Freestyle Sales Co. for my supplies.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CanoScan 9950F  Photo 
01-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #246

Photos: Gallery
buy zoom lenses before prime lenses so you know what size prime you will need.
01-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #247
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens aperture and focus/zoom limitations...

Most lenses (limited exceptions) perform at less than optimal performance when used at their limits of zoom and aperture. If you want the very best out of your lens, back off one stop and zoom out slightly. You will be surprised at the bump in accuracy and performance.

01-17-2016, 04:12 PM - 3 Likes   #248
Pentaxian

If you want a shot that's different from what everyone else takes, take i from an angle that nobody else uses. Don't be afraid to crawl around on the ground for low angles. Shooting up hill, means you don't have to be as low to get the same angle.

01-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #249

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
Thanks for this contest!

I don't know that I have any earth-shattering advice to give, since I'm pretty much a novice photographer, but I'll offer a few anyway, I suppose.

1) Move around and up and down to find unique angles on your subject. My elbows and knees can get pretty muddy doing this, but I've gotten a couple of good shots.

2) I've really enjoyed using the iPad SD card reader to import and upload my photos to my iCloud photo storage account. It's only recently been implemented to be able to use the card reader on iPhones. Once imported to the iPhone library, the photos automatically syncs to my laptop, iPad and PC. I can also use the phone to see how my photos have come out a bit better than on the camera's display.
01-17-2016, 04:19 PM - 1 Like   #250

Beginner, so I cant really give much advice, but what has worked for me is to just get out and shoot. The more I get out and shoot the better I feel like I get.
01-17-2016, 04:24 PM   #251

Join local photography meetup groups (Find your people - Meetup) That will be a cheaper and a more enjoyable way to learn from your local photographers. Your local college might have cheaper courses through their extension program. Usually lecturers can be very experienced photographers.
01-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #252

I love doing 360 deg panoramas and have found that raising the camera 3-4 meters gives a whole new perspective than a ground level shot. I have built a 4m extension pole (from a pool cleaning pole) that works a treat. See link https://plus.google.com/u/0/+LesMoyle/photos/photo/6213629240071843186? for my test results. Would love to win this lens to replace one that was stolen from my vehicle while we were traveling through Spain last year.

Last edited by balm; 01-17-2016 at 04:40 PM.
01-17-2016, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #253

Stealing this one a little, but one of the greatest gear recommendations is to use really old, sometimes obscure branded prime lenses since Pentax bodies have good adjustments for using legacy glass like the green button set up to auto expose a shot so that you get a basic idea of what the light is like in that area and then stop up/down from there. The older lenses have a lot better capabilities usually and I love my older 50mm lens even sometimes better than my 35mm f2.4.
01-17-2016, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #254
Veteran Member

HD 55-300mm Lens Giveaway

1 - If You are shooting an Industrial scene Commercial scene or any blah scene for that matter ; catch the rare Magenta Sunset . Its free and it Jazzes up a sterile scene pretty good.

2 - If you want to travel or hike light get yourself a Mono Pod . Buy a Quick release platform from the Orient ($10.00USD) Attach it to the Monopod and the QR plate to the Camera and you are all set to quickly take that Low Light / Slow Shutter / long lens shot before it goes away. I have one that extends to 6' and reduces to 18". I use it extended as a walking stick and it is very light ; it comes in a shoulder bag.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-17-2016, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #255

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
Most people assume that latest and expensive gear is always better for taking stunning photos, but those photographers that can master the M setting have a wider world at their fingertips. Sometimes I build lenses out of magnifying lenses and PVC pipes to get a soft focus tele portrait lens effect. I use cheap extension tubes and close-up lenses instead of macro lenses to extend and complement my camera’s capabilities. Also, there are many pre-set lenses out there with well proven glass formulas that will yield sharpness levels equal or better than current expensive lenses at a very low price. Anyone can press the shutter release on an auto-everything camera, but the M setting is for Masters.

Last edited by RebelCharlie; 01-17-2016 at 04:55 PM. Reason: missed a word