Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2016, 06:37 PM - 2 Likes   #271
bry

GAD

Gadget Acquisition Syndrome

You don't have to be jealous of other peoples' gear. Work with what you have!

Also applies to life. (:

Attached Images

Last edited by bry; 01-17-2016 at 11:53 PM.
01-17-2016, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #272
phs

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you hate selfies, don't marry.
01-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #273
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Experiment

Photography has so many disciplines, that it is very difficult to be an expert in all.

Why its well worth following what the experts are doing, this won't necessarily help develop unique attributes to your work.

So start with a facet that interests you and apply the 3 step plan:
1. experiment
2. experiment
3. experiment

For example for landscape shooting, lets assume you have found an interesting subject and have already snapped some shots to get it out of your system. Now think more laterally:
* Can you try a different perspective on the subject (high or low angle of view etc etc)?
* Can you incorporate / align with features in the background (I often manage to neglect the background until I look at my photos at home!)?
* What can you do with a very close shot?
* What do I see when I turn around (often a crowd looking at something are more interesting)?
* Can I influence the lighting of the subject?
* Can recompose / move the subject?
* Is there a better time to photograph the subject (morning / evening / time of year etc)?
01-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #274

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
Here's my advice for those of us who live in cities, towns, and enjoy taking candid or semi-candid 'streeters': First pick a bright overcast day; second, set a fairly fast ISO, like 800-1250, although anything above 400 ISO will do the trick. Third, remember to set your wide angle (10-17mm zoom, 24mm, or 28mm prime) lens to manual (you don't want the whirrr of a motor to give you away [besides they're not necessary], set your Pentax camera body to MF ("manual focus") and last, prefocus the lens to infinity. Shoot like mad; unlike the film days when I did this with a manual body, 400 ISO Tri-X black-and-white film and my trusty 24mm f/2.0 (Canon FD) lens, film is no longer a limiting factor. Busy streets are the best; and be sure to let yourself go; edit the results when you get home.

01-17-2016, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #275

As a beginner in photography at 53, I purchased my first DSLR camera (K-3) at the beginning of the summer. One of the first things I realised about photography is that there are so many places online to learn about photography and your camera. You really have to read and try some of the techniques and learn what some of the settings can do for you. Some of the best advice I've read is to just take pictures, experiment with settings, and use some of the basic photography rules. Its easy to delete the obvious bad photos. Learn from others when photos don't turn out the way you wanted. Over time you start to see and know what needs to be done in certain situations to get the best photo in that situation. You also start to learn what type of photography you like and what equipment is available to reach your goals. Photography, like life, is a journey.
01-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #276

What to really do with that long camera strap? Use it to improve shake reduction with it in a new way by wrapping it around your leg. First, dress with slacks, khakis or any long pants (Disclaimer: a shirt definitely helps too). Wrap the camera strap with one or 2 turns at most around your right or left leg and then, hold the camera upside-down and pull it up to eye level until the strap feels very tight. Practice shooting at home, so you'll be ready to get that close-up of your favorite performer from the stratospheric level of the stadium with a long lens such as a 300 mm one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by j0n4hpk; 01-17-2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Clarification
01-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #277

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
A lens like this would make a nice small travel zoom for when you don't want to carry something like the 60-250 around.

Since I have the non-wr version, if I win I'll give away my old one to a forum member.
Donations accepted!☺

01-17-2016, 08:11 PM - 3 Likes   #278

Photos: Gallery
I like to use small packets of silica gel, (the ones that come in medicine or vitamin bottles). I place them in my camera bag or case to help keep dampness away.
As well, small handwarmers tucked into your bag help keep equipment warm to and from places in cold weather.
01-17-2016, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #279
Forum Member

Spend money on glass before you spend money on a new body. I bought a Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 lens a year ago, and it was the best $600+ I've spent in quite a while. It works well with my K5. I shoot tennis matches indoors and out and f2.8 max aperture throughout the focal-length range really helps, especially with crappy light indoors.
01-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #280

my tip: use multi exposure [range +/- 3 stops] , aperture priority and manual focus for outdoor shots. combine them with photomatrix and pick the best result from the range of choices.
the final image will amaze with highlights [not blown out] and shadows [that you can see into.]
shoot "handheld." the program can overcome small errors.
enjoy!

addition: 1st pic-normal exposure
2nd pic-utilizing the above system
Attached Images

Last edited by jcomley; 01-18-2016 at 09:15 AM. Reason: add examples
01-17-2016, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #281

Photos: Gallery
Advice that I liked: Instead of a neck strap, get a good hand strap! You'll never go back to the neck strap!
(But get one with good reviews.)
01-17-2016, 08:18 PM   #282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a teacher/administrator for 37 years and a Pentax owner since I was 15, I would like to suggest the following: I strongly support the use of iPads in the classroom, now with up to 8mp cameras included in the iPads. It is a wonderful way to take students even as young as 5 years old on Photo Safari's teaching them the simple stuff, right up to the high end app editing. Now with my K-3, and with 450 students, each with their own iPads, we create and produce like never before, resulting in creative artistic photographers of the future!
01-17-2016, 08:29 PM - 2 Likes   #283

Pentax Portraits

I find the best portraits I get are the ones right after they let go of my advice. Get them into position and snap away, but don't drop the camera! When they relax a little, catch that transition. The honesty comes through in the image.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
01-17-2016, 08:32 PM   #284
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Thread lightly in lightroom when editing nature images

I often find myself selecting and processing images into the wee hours, as I am a newbie, and my settings are just not on point yet.
I see online the exorbitant amount of effects and editing people use on their images, and it makes me cringe when I see unnatural nature.
My advice is that everyone stop themselves just short of what they think is enough and keep to subtle enhancements of WHAT ALREADY IS.
An example below shows a raven in Bryce canyon, black bird in bleak light, but just a little bit of contrast and color toning makes him a handsome fella. The second example is Bryce arch at sunset, the light not ideal, so had to tweak a bit more, but I think it still looks fairly natural.
Happy Trails, photobugs
Attached Images

01-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #285

I think the best advice I can give to a photographer is breath, and relax. This is more directed towards someone who is doing something new for them, like shooting a wedding for the first time. My first wedding I was nervous and doubted myself, but the couple loved the finished product. You need to take a step back and breath and remember they chose you because the liked what they saw.