Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did post an idea (way back at #14), so I'm not ignoring the point of ts thread, but I just wanted to say what a great idea it is for a giveaway competition - we're all winners because we all get access to hundred's of tips that might contain just the ones that take our photography up a whole level

01-18-2016, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #302

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
My 10 cent's.
I hope one of them will help someone and inspire to do something great that will inspire me later on Pentax Forum.

1) You will never have the lens that will make you 100% satisfied! Get used to the lens you already have.
2) Don't you ever buy lens or equipment on maximum emotions. Get used to the lens you already have. Save some money till christmass sale or so and you will get your satisfaction as a reward plus lens you wanted for reasonable price.
3) Become better in post processing (take some lessons). Post processing is the only way to the satisfaction of using DSLR.
4) Never impose your "free" services to the friends. You run the risc of meeting negative being intrusive at the wrong moment. Making session with negative feelings and full usfulness of this event... In the end you will have to Post Process pics understanding that no one need them...
5) Find your soul mate on photography. Maybe friend or maybe just someone who love to be with you for sessions. To start some field works.
6) Enter the group of interests. Will find suggestion there... Or someone who inspires you to go further! Or maybe some fans of your works.
7) Open the topic about photography and post there some of you work. Just to see things some time later. Like the ribbon of life. This topic also will bring you some clients later.
8) Stop sitting on news, facebook etc pages... 30 min a day max! Don't burn your life! Read some books. Take the kids somwhere. Take online lesson etc. etc.
9) Always take the camera with you. Get a bag or a shoulder strap and go with your cam. When walking on the streets - turn the camera on and start breathing the life!
10) Start watching the movies from the point of view of the operator. Like if You was there with the camera. And You will see more from the movies! Will see the greatest close ups with perfect bokeh that was made by the lens that cost as a house! Will see perfect compositions. The light! Pro Highlighting the scenes. And greatest newest Post procession. "Normal" people don't see it.
01-18-2016, 02:42 AM - 2 Likes   #303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just remembered a letter I sent in to a magazine once (got a letter of the week for it. It was my advice on how to sell photographs, way back in the day. It went something like:-

Be prepared
Understand your equipment
Look and
Listen out for event to cover
Study the market
Hone your skills
Identify your strengths and weaknesses
Take lots of photos.

But most of all, follow the acronym
01-18-2016, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #304

Total novice to this photography lark so cant give any technical tips (but the ones on here are superb so thanks guys) so my suggestions are more practical and based on what's helped me enjoy photography

Take photos of the things you love, don't worry about what is marketable or fashionable - when you have hundreds of pics to go through or edit its not much fun if the subject matter means nothing to you
Take lots of pictures, as a novice I find out of a 100 there may be one that I can use if for nothing else then to help me hone my editing skills (took 480 before I got this one fairly usable one on Sat)
Talk to other photographers when your out and about, I haven't met one yet that isn't so excited about the hobby that they are not willing to talk you through technical details or help make suggestions
Don't be frightened to ask for help or advice on forums such as this, and never be frightened to say - hang on explain it in non technical terms to a novice ! - many experienced photographers sometimes forget how technical they talk
Talk to locals or if your in a park or on a beach etc then people around you, many love to tell you the best spots for views, birds etc
Lastly - get out there and have fun !!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D40  Photo 
01-18-2016, 03:15 AM - 3 Likes   #305
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
Take a 30 minute walk everyday with your camera. You'll be surprised at what you'll find to shoot.
01-18-2016, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #306

Shooting with several cameras

While shooting events, one can use several cameras to be ready for any occasion, for example tele and wide lens. As for me, I like to use Tamron 10-24 with my K-5 for capturing whole scene or to be inside some action, and any prime lens to capture single persons and their emotions, and for occasional portraits with K-3, depending on the location. Befor such combo shooting, one must ensure time syncronization, go to the time settings and update time to the same values on both bodies. After the great shootimng time, while processing, put all files in the same folder and then process with any software with the file renaming option, to have filename like Hour-Minute-Second.jpg, it will ensure all files will have the same sequence as it was shooted.
Attached Images

01-18-2016, 03:45 AM - 3 Likes   #307
Veteran Member

I've enjoyed reading everyone's Tips here.Filed away a few for future reference.Thanks to everyone that posted and to Adam and the forum staff.

My contribution...
1) Watch the caffiene... a little coffee is amazing to heighten your senses but too much and it can seriously affect how steady your hand is when shooting handheld.

2)With the advent of digital photography and its subsequent popularity, film photography books are dirt cheap and abundant. Visit a used book shop and pick some up. They are an incredible resource of knowledge and techniques even in this day and age. There is still a wealth of relevent information in them thats applicable to Digital Photography.I highly recommend anyone looking to understand things like light,apertures,lenses,exposure, and composition....pick up some old film photography books.

3) carry a roll of black electrical tape in your bag. Great for temporary repairs, or reversing a lens on another. Can be used with a white cloth or paper towel to make a quick flash diffuser.

4)Keep a notebook and write down places you want to photograph or techiques you want to try...you can make notes about the time of day you want to visit it or the season,what gear you want to shoot with etc.

Hope those are useful to someone.
AL

01-18-2016, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #308
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To get a vintage effect on a photo, try double exposure as follows:
1. take first a photo of a pattern. In sample case it was a dry plant.
2. take then the second photo of the main subject. In the sample case a lighthouse.
You surely want to play around with exposure compensation on each take to get the effect you want.
Sample image:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-18-2016, 04:41 AM - 5 Likes   #309
Forum Member

The best piece of advice I can give you is: Gear doesn't matter. Any DSLR made in the last 5-6 years can take breathtaking, professional photos. What makes a photo is the person behind the camera, their experience, vision and their knowledge of light. So next time you're thinking of buying that new expensive lens or camera body you don't really need, why not invest the money in your photography education or a plane ticket? Both will give you a lot better photos than that new piece of kit.
01-18-2016, 04:46 AM   #310

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shadows are not black

Think about form, shape, tone, contrast and negative space when taking a picture and if you are doing outdoor portrait photography remember that shadows are not black. When you come to post processing those coloured shadows can produce unwanted colour casts on skin and cause you a few headaches trying to get the colour balance of the final print just right. If you can take a picture of a white card in the shadow area, when you post process you will then be able to see what colour the shadows actually are. Our eyes don't register the real colour only the tonal difference (the same happens when we shoot indoors, we see things in 'almost real colour' but the camera sees the true colour cast). With practice you can train your eye to see the real colour of objects.

The attached picture is of the Irish singer Elanor Shanley, this was taken on an outdoor photoshoot for a a magazine cover, it was early October and a bright day. The picture was taken around 5pm as the light began to warm. The background was a newly painted wall at a college campus. Notice how the background is blue and the shadows around her hair are a deeper blue. We rejected this picture because when we tried to replace the blue back ground we couldn't keep her face the warm same tones, we got near but not near enough for high speed printing. Another tip for magazine work, if you choose a neutral background and control the shadows the publisher can add text and logos over it. And make sure you leave enough space above the face for the mast head.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tipptoggy; 01-18-2016 at 04:48 AM. Reason: spell checking
01-18-2016, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #311
Veteran Member

substitute monopod.

Don’t have a tripod with you? You could use a piece of cord made into a loop long enough to go around your foot and then attached to the bottom of your camera with an eye bolt, the thread being the same as a tripod fitting. This could be used as a monopod by holding a light upward pressure on the camera. A tree or something to lean on while using this method, can be a big help. As a bonus, this is easily carried in your pocket.
01-18-2016, 05:44 AM - 1 Like   #312

Those digital greens!

One issue many of us face with digital photographs, especially those taken on a digital camera but even (sometimes) with scanned images is the 'greens'. Which often aren't! and either look too 'acid' or unnaturally yellow.

My tip - which saves me from an uncomfortable numbing twinge in my upper nose, honestly! it almost hurts sometimes - is to use the Luminance sliders in Lightroom to adjust the brightness of the green, orange and, particularly, yellow brightness until it starts to look thereabouts, then the Saturation for each until almost spot on.

Then for the final step use the Split Toning shadow, highlight and balance controls to add just enough warmth (play with the colours and try saturations from c.10 to 25%) to look natural, or what is now pleasing to the eye... and nose!
Attached Images

01-18-2016, 05:58 AM - 2 Likes   #313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This probably goes without saying, learn to use the manual mode of you DSLR, learn it like the back of your hand. Even better make your camera an extension of your hands.

Start with the semi auto modes learn how each function affects the picture and what artistic effects you can impart to your work, then go full manual.

There are wonderful tutorials here in this forum as well as some very good tutorials from Adorama, and B&H photo to help guide you along the way.

And more importantly don't be afraid to experiment, if it doesn't turn out right, delete and shoot again!
01-18-2016, 06:00 AM   #314

How to enter:

Winner selection:

Good luck!
If you are thinking of thinking of getting a new equipment and are on a budget, my tip would be, invest in good lenses rather than a very fancy camera body. Of course, the number of megapixels, AF points etc. are important, but for me, good quality glass will contribute much more to your images than those will. For people on a tight budget (for eg. a student like me , the K-50 (which I personally own and got it brand new for EUR 300) is an excellent body and its 14.6 megapixels are ample to give you all the detail you would need to make your images shine. Add to that the excellent low light performance, weather sealing and image stabilization, you are all set to rock. Pentax puts value into their products unlike other well-known brands, and you'll never be disappointed with anything Pentax that you pick. If you have some money to spend, save them up and get some good glass, collect the limited primes and the ones highly rated on the forum. You can always upgrade the body later (which you should because technology changes ever so soon). But a good set of lenses will be your friend for life
01-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #315

1. If you want to keep your camera clean and free from dust, carry around a tin of Mr Min or furniture polish and a fine bristled soft paint brush. Spray a bit of Mr Min into the cap and dab the brush in it and then polish and brush it all over your lens body and camera body. The polish acts as a dust repellant and will most of the time keep the dust from clinging to your equipment. Even spray the inside of your bag. It leaves it clean, smelling fresh and shiny. The brush is also useful to dust off any excess dust before you change lenses.

2. If you don't have money for a ND filter, look at some camera shops and ask for Neutral Density Gel paper. it's cheap and comes in various sizes like A4. Cut multiple pieces and stack to increase density.