Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #331

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Every night, before bed, put your camera battery in its charger. This is especially important when you're travelling.

01-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #332

If you're bored, or want to take pictures but find wherever you are disinteresting- make it interesting. Set a goal and/or parameters for a photo, like creating a photo for your own (fictional) album cover, and try and fulfill it. Challenge yourself to find ways to make boring subjects or areas interesting. Theres always the opportunity to take a brilliant shot, its how you use the camera and what you use it for that gets you out of a slump and back to enjoyable photography. Here is an example of my attempts to make a strange album cover photo while stuck in my room for the evening, not the best, but it made a dull day more interesting:
01-18-2016, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #333
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
As I'm out and about with my camera and find myself captivated by a subject that I feel would make a great photo, I am often mentally bombarded with all of the information that I've read and learned over the many years about photography; light, exposure, depth of field, composition, angle, which lens, filter, etc. These factors, which are vitally important, have often clouded my ability to be creative and therefore, the end result has failed to produce the desired final image. I've learned that practice and more time spent at the craft enables me to be better prepared mentally in the capture moment. Asking myself what it is that I'm seeing and how would I best like to interpret this image on a two dimension rectangle stirs up the creative juices. Think and relax, then click the Pentax.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #334
Forum Member

I can't carry heavy things during my travels. But I like to take night photos. Also sometimes it is not allowed to carry tripod in some of the touristic locations or you must pay additional fee for it.
I have learned to take night pictures without a tripod. Actually I think that you can use any stable surface instead of a tripod.
And here is a proof:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/116245994@N07/21345176644/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/116245994@N07/21238159794/in/dateposted-public/

01-18-2016, 09:09 AM   #335

It's very easy, most of the time, to capture a beautiful sky scape, our world can be inherently beautiful. Through the individual's use of post production, the sky scape can be given its own character, etc... Lighting, shadows, colors, and saturation. Remember not to overdo it with the shadows/highlights.https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzYzS3v4lPafdnByS0gxcnBJZkk/view?usp=docslist_api
Attached Images

Last edited by natethan; 02-05-2016 at 09:12 AM.
01-18-2016, 09:12 AM - 2 Likes   #336

Photos: Albums
Here's my contribution for those who shoot architecture, landscapes,nature, etc.: Go back!
I often take shots of some location and then think "At what other time would this subject make a great pic?"
I send myself a text or email and add an appointment in my calendar to go back and shoot the location again.
I shot this old barn in the summer, in the fall, and when the temperature outside was "freaking cold" (-40) and the snow was thigh deep.
The latter gave the best results.
Attached Images

01-18-2016, 09:13 AM   #337

use a gold reflector when shooting people in snow.

01-18-2016, 09:19 AM - 5 Likes   #338
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have to remind myself too often to resist the urge to upgrade "too much". I took these shots with a Canon A620 point and shoot, Joby Gorillapod, 15 s exposures, then composited them in The Gimp. I eventually moved on to Pentax K200D and now a K5 for making larger prints, weathersealing, wider angles, and Bulb mode, but I always use this shot as a reminder that good images can be made with just about any gear (oh, and to composite the lightning, use the "Lighten Only" mode when in layers. Works for star trails, too!).
Attached Images

01-18-2016, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #339
Veteran Member

This tip is in the "less is more" vein for nature/adventure photography.

While it might be great to have every bit of gear you own along with you on every outing, know your limits.

Does it make sense to carry a ton of gear if the load prevents you from hiking out to your intended destination, or if it spoils your enjoyment of the journey ?

Personally, I sometimes find myself agonizing about whether I should bring that extra lens that's likely to just sit in the bottom of my bag, or an extra water bottle that might mean I can hike a few miles further. More often than not, I pick the water because I'd rather reach my destination and miss a shot than have to turn back early because I brought too much gear.

Last edited by arkav; 01-18-2016 at 05:03 PM.
01-18-2016, 09:38 AM - 8 Likes   #340

Going on a long photographic expedition and worried about food supplies?

WORRY NO MORE. Your camera bag's tripod mount is also the perfect place to store a tube of Pringles!

Never again will you and your beloved Pentax have to face the wilderness without an ample supply of MSG-infused dehydrated potatoes...
01-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #341
f22

QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Tip: When shooting in any wildlife rich area, always be aware of your surroundings. While you are highly focused, stalking that perfect osprey, eagle, or egret shot, something might be stalking YOU!

Eric
Judy the bear from Revenent! HA HA. Good advice
01-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #342

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
Nice lens giveaway! I'd love to have a 55-300 for my son's K-01.
01-18-2016, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #343

Tip

My best tip is to use a shoulderstrap for your Pentax camera instead of the neckstrap you get with the camera.
A shoulderstrap is much more comfortable and practical, you don't get a sore neck from the weight of the camera.
Be sure to get a shoulderstrap with an additional small strap under your armpit so the strap will remain in place when you use the camera.
It does not have to be an expensive one from well known manufacturers.

I have this one:
Focus F-1 Quick Rapid Carry Speed Sling

It's a great camerastrap, I bought it at Aliexpress
01-18-2016, 09:53 AM - 2 Likes   #344
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Trees

When spanish and portuguese arrived in south America, they met strong and fantastic trees that cover all brazilian coast. But now, we just meet those into a park.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-18-2016, 09:59 AM   #345
Veteran Member

If you're tired of having to choose what photo equipment to take with you on a road trip - why not take all of it? Use a Doskocil 4-handgun case (available on the internet and many gun stores) - I saw one for $45 on eBay today. Then open it up and using a sharp knife, cut the foam to fit your gear. This keeps every bit of gear accessible in an instant and pads it securely; manuals and reference materials fit under the lid's foam. You're ready to grab and go - the case and a tripod are all you'll need for any eventuality.

John

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 01-21-2016 at 02:52 PM.