Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1204 Likes Search this Thread
01-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #346

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
If you're tired of having to choose what photo equipment to take with you on a road trip - why not take all of it? You can grab and go. Use a Doskocil 4-handgun case (available on the internet and many gun stores) - I saw one for $45 on eBay today. Then open it up and using a sharp knife, cut the foam to fit your gear. Keeps everything safe and shock proof. Instruction manuals and filters under the top foam. About the size of a large briefcase. I throw mine in the trunk, and pick and choose what to use from everything in the case. That and a tripod is all you need.
I've got tons of flight cases for studio gear, mics etc - never thought to buy some foam and use em for cameras! Good shout.

01-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #347

My favourite tip is something that I have to constantly remind myself of:
Research, Research, Research.

I travel a lot, and so I tend to take mostly travel shots. Researching where you are going, best spots to shoot from, sunrise & sunset times. All these things help get you prepared to take the best shots, instead of the "best I could do" shots.
01-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #348
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A sweet and simple TIP:

Composition & Lighting are the greatest skills that make a winning picture - not aperture, shutter or ISO so much - which can be taken care by your auto everything camera. Master these two through practice and going through the hundreds of free stuff on the Internet. You will surely become a delighted Photographer.

See Link to the best resources on the subject: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5cczpn64jj35ctf/AAB2_3SKiWc7p-1jRUnE57Iga?dl=0
01-18-2016, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #349

Photos: Gallery
Gear Tip

If you want to get gear at a discount learn about off brands and look for them. For example Promaster and Quantaray lenses are rebadged Sigma and Tamron lenses. Same lens but the Promasters and Quantarays sell for less, sometimes much less than their brand name counter parts. If you want to save even more look for more obscure names like Access Tempo, Prospec or Photoline.
A couple years ago I picked up an Access Tempo 80-200mm F3.8 AF zoom for $5 with free shipping. No one else bid. This is a rebadged Sigma 75-200mm F3.8 and I've seen them go for $150 in PK mount. It's a Carl Zeiss Jena design and I've only seen one Zeiss badged come up for sale, starting bid $225.
I also recently picked up an Access Tempo 75-200mm F2.8-3.5 in Sony A mount for $29 shipped. (Yes, I also shoot Sony, a friend gave me a bunch of lovely Maxxum lenses she inherited so I bought an A-58 so I could use them). It's also a rebadged Sigma that usually sells around $150.

01-18-2016, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #350

Photos: Albums
Read the manual

After you get your new camera out of the box, the battery all charged up, and a favorite lens attached, go shoot a bunch of pictures. Then, after several days of shooting come back and read the manual. The information in the manual will make much more sense. Six months later, read the manual again. You'll now be closer to understanding the value and use of all the bells and whistles the Pentax engineers included in your amazing camera.
01-18-2016, 10:38 AM - 4 Likes   #351

Photos: Albums
My tip...
Always check your camera settings before taking your first for the day.
I have lost some good shots as the ISO was to high or shutter speed or aperture was set wrong
and the shot was ruined by being way over/under exposed.
So always check your settings first.
01-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #352
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sharp is key

This was taken about a mile from the subject lighthouse from a moving ferry off the coast of Maine...using my old *ist DL (no stabilization) and a mediocre Tamron lens at 200mm. Yes I need some new gear The key to sharp images even with antiquated gear is good light, fast shutter speed (1/750), bump the ISO up a little, and a medium F stop...in this case 11. A small bit of post process...leveling, sharpening, and a slight tweak on saturation and good to go

01-18-2016, 10:59 AM   #353

With so much tips I hesitate to add this, not having read all 24 pages of previous posts yet.
If you want to upgrade your gear think of new glass before new camera's, the first is logical but the second is so tempting.
If you want to upgrade your skills look at a lot of pictures to see what makes them tick, start to follow the general rules, but be sure to break them too.
If you want to upgrade your technique do read the manual and practice until you know what to do without having to think to hard about it.
If you want to upgrade your joy of taking photo's just pick up your camera and shoot until you get what you thought you would get and that will include mastering at least some basic photo editing skills.
01-18-2016, 11:11 AM - 2 Likes   #354

Using a black paper background whith tiny holes. Behind a flash with a blue gel. On both sides two little lights. I used a Pentax M 50mm at 1.7.

Gundam by Daniele Di Mauro, su Flickr
01-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #355

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
My art and music is all driven by emotion and my photography is the same. I try to capture how I'm feeling about a particular place, or take photos of people that capture their moment.
01-18-2016, 11:21 AM - 2 Likes   #356

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
Photo Tip: One of the most common mistakes by new photo bugs is jamming the shutter button when taking a photo. Squeeze the shutter button until it releases. Jamming the button will introduce camera movement in the resulting image if the shutter speed is slow. Practice until the squeezing becomes a habit. Good habits make good photos.
01-18-2016, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #357
Jud

Frozen

When it is -30'C outside, you don't want to go out to take pictures; you just change lenses, put on a macro lense, and take pictures of the cold from the inside - out.
Judy
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
01-18-2016, 11:35 AM - 2 Likes   #358

Using the ground as support

Use the ground as support, with a wide lens and get close to your subject. Squat/kneel down and place the camera on the ground, preferably on a non-abrasive surface. Use the live view screen and set the camera in either vertical, horizontal or Dutch angle in order to get the composition that you are aiming for. Using ground support will allow you to use a relatively slower shutter speed and a higher f-stop number. This will result in a picture from an interesting perspective, with better exposure even if there is light coming behind your subject, and it will also allow you to capture the environment/context because the background will not be too blurry.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q-S1  Photo 
01-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #359
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by f22 Quote
Judy the bear from Revenent! HA HA. Good advice
If only the inside diameter was big enough to store your telephoto lens when the chips...er, excuse me...crisps are gone!
01-18-2016, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #360

My simple advice- which I don't always follow- is to check your settings ahead of every session; RAW or jpeg?, a general ISO- say 400, auto pict., and give the focus and zoom ring a twist back and forth. Then alter them for you shots you want. Many a time I've started shooting using the settings from the previous session