Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2016, 06:04 AM - 2 Likes   #421

Photos: Gallery
Switch the focus from the shutter button to the back of the camera. This not only allows for potentially faster snaps as the camera doesn't have to go through focusing before releasing the shutter but also makes it less likely to accidently take a photo while trying to focus.

01-19-2016, 06:07 AM - 5 Likes   #422

re-read the Instruction manual

You probably read your User Manual that came with your new Pentax camera.

My tip is: Read it again after a year or so. You will probably have forgotten some handy features that you initially read, but aren't using due to "too much information".
I have read mine already three times and every time I discover new possibilities!!

Happy shooting! (and reading :-)
01-19-2016, 06:15 AM   #423
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I´m working at a museum and from time to time i try to get pictures of the items within the showcases. To get clean images i use a simple trick.
To avoid reflections and other distractions put the front of your lens flat on the glas of the showcase. You might have to use a wider lens, but that is fine.
This way you stabilize your lens as well and can drop your iso greatly by using longer shutterspeeds.

Beware of the house rules! And don´t use this technique with pressure sensitive showcases. If you can see lots of smeary children fingerprints on the bottom of the glas you should be fine.

This shot was taken through the showcase by pressing the front of the camera onto the glas in a dark museum room.
01-19-2016, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #424

Develop your skills and have fun at the same time

My absolutely best tip for all Pentaxians is to visit the local flea market / charity sale / second hand shop and pick up some old Pentax prime lenses. First of all you make a good deed and secondly you will become a happy owner of a splendid piece of glass.

Not only are the Pentax Primes (most of them) superb in quality, feeling, and rendering, they are also great fun to use and will help to learn and understand the basics about photography.

With the help of PF you can find out all about shooting with old prime lenses as well as get a quick overview of what lenses to look for, start out e.g. with a SMC M 50mm f1:7, you will quickly find one for some few dollars, you might even get an old analogue camera in the same deal that can be used when your ready to take the step "back" to film shooting that also got its own charm.

Uploaded photo is shot with Pentax K3 and SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8, I have only adjusted the white balance and cropped it a bit to get a better perspective.

Get out there and get some old primes....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-19-2016, 07:07 AM   #425
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the best photo taken is the one that "U ENJOYED THE MOST DURING THE SHOOT AND WHILE VIEWING ". As a photographer u know the pain, the story, the difficulty in getting the right shot,the story behind the shot and the feelings attached with the shot.
Photography may be a art, hobby, profession or an activity, but it ultimately gives pleasure and satisfaction. So "Enjoy The Shot" irrespective of the outcome !!
01-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #426
Inactive Account

Remember, photography is life
01-19-2016, 07:45 AM - 4 Likes   #427

With Long Lenses – Use a Monopod to Shoot Like a Sniper

Taking action shots during sporting events requires me to change location frequently. Moving a tripod around just doesn’t work. I shoot mainly Equestrian Jumping Events and Soccer matches that my daughter competes in. This is what works for me. A picture of the gear I use is attached.
  1. Use any Monopod – with a simple tilt head and shoulder brace to add stability. I use a Manfrotto 234RC Head and 361 Brace.
  2. Don’t forget to use your “dominant eye” in the viewfinder! If you don’t know which eye is dominant make a triangle with your hands to center a distant object, alternately close each eye. The eye which still shows the object most centered is your, “Dominant Eye”.
  3. Set your ISO high enough to allow a fast shutter speed to freeze the action, I use ISO 800 with the lens at f 4-5.6 @200mm with my Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 lens, this get me above 1/1000th exposure on most days.
  4. Use any surrounding structure to help stabilize your camera and body, fence posts, trees, etc... so long as you can get your shots.
  5. Set the tilt head at 90 degrees and try using the Monopod like a gun stock, squeezing it under your arm pit. Set the shoulder brace so it can be comfortably pressed against your chest using some moderate force to keep it pressed against you.
  6. Try shooting from a low point of view using the Shoulder Brace as a ground support, I sometimes lie on the ground with an Under Armour stadium blanket which is water and dirt resistant.
  7. If the action passes by a predictable path, such as with a course, try using the “Catch in Focus” feature of you Pentax as explained in this forum article link. Catch-in-Focus Tutorial - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
01-19-2016, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #428
Forum Member

Photo tips to consider when using your new Pentax DA 55-300

A few things that I have learned along the way and are probably worth sharing.....

- SLOW DOWN: Compose,think,review, and then "click".

-When composing in the viewfinder, I try to remember three things: Make sure the subject is well defined....have proper focus on that subject....eliminate any distractions in the background.

-Don't hesitate to crank up the ISO, the camera can handle it. Not to mention, post processing software can be very forgiving, particularly when it come to shadows.

-Shoot RAW image files of you want the most versatility in post processing.

-Seek and listen to constructive critiques AND develop a thick skin. Do not take it personally, do not get discouraged!
01-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #429
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go someplace you have never been befor, explore new things. Better yet take a friend and make good memories.

Most imortantly, dont forget your camera.
01-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #430
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Go someplace you have never been befor, explore new things. Better yet take a friend and make good memories.

Most imortantly, dont forget your camera.
Reminds me of a song from my youth: "If you love her (the camera), then you must take her - somewhere where she's never been before. Worn out phrases and longing gazes won't get you where you want to go! (No!)"
01-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #431

My overall tip would be - the least amount of shake you introduce into your image the better. I have used these tips in my film days and continue to this day. Even though modern equipment is equipped with anti-shake mechanisms, you must do all you can to eliminate introducing YOUR movement into the shot.

- Use a tripod whenever possible - I have a C-clamp type tripod that is very portable (took it to England a few years ago) and it has given me great results.

- When firing the shutter, I use a trick that people who shoot guns use - slowly breathe out of your mouth as you click the shutter.

Last edited by Reliant K1000; 01-19-2016 at 08:59 AM.
01-19-2016, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #432

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
Composite / Post-processing
This is an easy and effective way of creating original and interesting images.
The reality is that we all are attracted to symmetry and the secret is composition and selecting two images that complement each other.
The first thing that you need is a background and a foreground images which ideally you have taken against a plain / not busy background that allows for easy isolation of the images and their superimposing.
The attached image contains one photograph ( small crab claw ) and a plain digitally created background. The image was copied and mirrored and a shadow was added to create a three dimensional effect
There are a number of programs that can be used for this exercise like PhotoShop , Sketchbook, PhotoClip, etc.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-19-2016, 10:35 AM   #433

Rule of thirds

I'm a photography enthusiast, but far from an expert when it comes to capturing the "magical shot". However something that helped me early on to get nice looking shots is to use the rule of thirds (golden 1/3, etc). Instead of placing your subject dead center, place it 1/3 from either side (or from top/bottom depending on the scene). That allows for capturing more unbroken background scenery, for instance.
01-19-2016, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #434
Veteran Member

To experiment cheaply with lighting, take photographs of small objects lit with candles. As the candles are a very small point source, they will provide dramatic directional lighting. Tea candles work very well.
01-19-2016, 10:43 AM   #435
f22

More Megapixels can compensate for shorter zooms

One way to "cheat" on getting extended telephoto length pictures with say a zoom that max's out at 135 mm is to crop into it. If you have a high megapixel body set to use the max megapixels, cropping into a picture to produce telephoto-ish results will enlarge the subject, yet still give you high quality results.