Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1204 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2016, 01:06 PM - 3 Likes   #526

Tip for the HD 55-300mm Lens Giveaway Contest

Here is a great, cheap camera bag for those of us on a budget.
Got this picnic cooler at Walmart for $17.00
I put lenses and other accessories in plastic containers and put them in the cooler.
I have other lenses and a camera body in a container under the lens and camera shown.
It is roomy and sturdy.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
01-23-2016, 01:49 PM - 3 Likes   #527
Forum Member

I found that viewing my photos in black and white helps me to best determine exposure, contrast, sharpness and composition before advanced edits. Switching back to color, I again watch for distracting colors that might pull the eye from the subject. I can then desaturate and eliminate further distractions.

Lastly, I evaluate if B&W is an actual improvement.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-23-2016, 03:47 PM - 3 Likes   #528

If you really want to improve your photography, instead of buying that new lens just buy a ticket to the South Island of New Zealand. You can't fail...

Last edited by Flying Kiwi; 01-23-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Didn't mean to quote original
01-23-2016, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #529

I guess iam not experienced enough but here is my try:

1. go out shooting and try for yourself.
2. If you got a problem you can't resolve, you need a tip ( ) or just want to show your pictures for feedback
==> get help at pentaxforums.com

regards
Sascha

01-23-2016, 09:41 PM - 4 Likes   #530
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photography is all about capturing the light. Experienced landscape photographers go out early in the AM and late in the PM as the angle of the light gives more dynamic emphasis to the elements in a scene.

Studio photographers set their lights to emphasize specific characteristics of a subject.

If you want to make better images, look for the light. Once you see it you can work to try and capture it!

BD
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
01-23-2016, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #531

Photos: Gallery
Capture images, at the highlands of the Andes

Capture images, at the highlands of the Andes at more than 4,000 meters above sea level requires first to carry an extra battery provision because they run out fast, be prepared for changing weather conditions and, at the time of taking a picture choose the right aperture for controlling the depth of field to better animal shots and be prepared for a sudden storm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
01-24-2016, 05:45 AM   #532

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
I am new to DSLR manual photography. I learned that shooting the moon is like shooting into the sun. You need to drop to ISO to 100-200, use f11 to f22 aperture and dial the exposure time to 1/200 of a second. I also learned that I had to turn off the autofocus and use manual focus the get the camera to cooperate. Lastly my 50-200 zoom was still not enough to capture adequate detail. Buts still much better than the bright spot I captured in the past.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-24-2016, 06:12 AM   #533

Seek out those special places and subjects!

I had the opportunity to explore the flooded jungles of the Amazon last June, and was glad to have my weather-sealed Pentax K-30 available. The birds, monkeys, and other wildlife were magnificent - we had a number of willing subjects on our frequent jungle excursions.

I spotted this young Woolly Monkey during a morning boat ride. The shot was taken at full zoom with an HD 55-300 mm lens at full zoom. He was enjoying his banana. I came home with a lifetime of memories, preserved with my Pentax.

Seek out those special places and people, and take advantage of the rugged build of your camera. You can't get the shot if you're not out there!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-24-2016, 06:37 AM   #534

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
I find your posts more intersting than mine, and i'm learning a lot from them. So it's a good idea to enter this contest, just from what all the tips i'm getting from you all.
Thank you.
01-24-2016, 07:11 AM - 1 Like   #535

Depth of Field

Bokeh, like composition, should focus the viewer’s attention on the main subject with the least amount of distraction; or rather to smoothly and clearly separate the target from the background and foreground.
It’s not necessary to have your aperture set wide open to do this and in fact it might be wise to leave enough depth of field wiggle room to allow for error and moving objects.
A gifted photographer will know the depth of field of his/her lenses at different apertures, focal lengths, and distances.
The rest of us can either get a depth of field calculator for the smart phone to do the calculations or print out a chart generated using an online application (to save smart phone batteries).
Before shooting, take your time to mentally decide how much depth of field you want to create the separation, calculate the f-stop needed to generate that depth of field, and set the camera to TAV mode to increase your chances of getting a winning photo.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-24-2016, 10:49 AM - 4 Likes   #536
Pentaxian

Instead of blurring fast-moving water with slow shutter speeds, freeze the movement with a very fast one. I recommend at 1/1600s or faster.

IMGP4612
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
01-24-2016, 11:15 AM   #537

Make sure to use lenses producing good pictures - life's to short to use bad ones!

(read something similar in the forums)
01-24-2016, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #538
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't be afraid to take the shot. Sounds obvious but one of the biggest impediments to creativity is fear. And that fear creeps into peoples ability to really find their art. There is nothing wrong with fear but don't let it stop you from taking a chance. Give yourself permission, take the shot, and don't look back.
01-24-2016, 01:33 PM - 6 Likes   #539
Veteran Member

Maybe my advice is surprising or odd, but be aware of your breath! Breathing can cause a lot of motion blur, odd tilts and even poor composition if you are breathing heavily; in worst case it can make you feel like you are drowning and take a poor photo due to the subconscious panic. Take a couple of moments to smoothen your breathing, hold the shutter button for half a second as you compose(this also gives time for the SR to activate properly) and start exhaling as you press the shutter button gently. This will give you time to think about composition a little more, to focus correctly, for SR to activate, will give you an opportunity to see things that otherwise disturb the photo (like people in the background), will let you get away with longer shutter speeds, and will generally give you sharper, more crisp photos.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 01-24-2016 at 01:39 PM.
01-24-2016, 04:02 PM - 3 Likes   #540
Forum Member

Earlier this month I attempted to photograph a sever thunderstorm in the early evening that was passing East of us. Not being very experienced I had issues with setting up and taking pictures in the dark. I was trying to capture the way the internal lightning flashes were eluminating the clouds and maybe some of the cloud to cloud strikes. My first attempt was at 1.6 seconds and showed under exposed in the camera display. I then used 45 seconds which improved the exposures but also provided multiple images of the moving clouds and unfortunatly made star trails in the clear part of the sky. Lessons Learned - 45 seconds is too long of an exposure for night sky photos unless you use Astro Tracking. Image -Exported ..1345 is the 1.6 second exposure and Exported..1349 is the 45 sec exposure. Both have had white balance and exposure adjusted in Lightroom.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo