Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2016, 03:30 PM   #616
Pentaxian

You can save money by buying screen protectors for smart phones (you can buy them for $1 or less on ebay) and cutting them down to the size you need with a paper cutter.

01-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #617
Inactive Account

Aperture was hard to get my head around because the lower number meant a bigger opening. I remember it by the smaller the number the less that is in focus. Bigger number, of course, means more will be in focus.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-26-2016, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #618
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!

My quick and easy tip is to use hotel shower caps as easy raincoats over your camera lenses. With the elastic already in these free caps put one over the front and another over the back. Has worked great on hikes along misty waterfalls and in rain. Also, a bandana makes as good dust cover over my lens when riding in an open safari vehicle.

---------- Post added 01-26-16 at 04:14 PM ----------

Oops, replied in the wrong place. Again...use free hotel shower caps for raincoats over your camera and lens. One on the front and another on the back. Covers the camera and lens (unless you're using a big mama). And a bandana makes a great dust cover.
01-26-2016, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #619

Always have a backup on important shoots

I went to Africa on a photo-shoot with a group of artist friends, and took twin cameras (Pentax K10-D) with a pair of twin lenses (2 X 70-300mm, and 2 x 18-55mm), wrapped the camera bodies and lenses in plastic baggies, sealed as well as possible, and did the same for the lenses (obviously with openings for the appropriates places , kept them in sealed baggies unless in use, and tried to keep them in as clean an environment as possible, if I had to switch lenses. The sand in Africa is so super fine that it gets into EVERYTHING, and I couldn't afford to have something break down and have nothing to shoot with. I'm glad I did this because I had one body gum up, and also one lense, but I was covered. I took thousands of photos, and many of those are spectacular - the one I posted here is "cute" - we walked with a yearling elephant calf and got some incredible photos. All of the tricks and tips in the world are no good if your camera outfit isn't working.

Attached Images

Last edited by Dollie; 01-26-2016 at 04:38 PM.
01-26-2016, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #620
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Waterproofing is only as good as the seal the gasket makes. Thoroughly remove sand from the camera before opening up any sealed areas, and make triple sure there's or a single grain of sand on the gasket before closing it. Back in 2008, that's how I lost my first underwater point & shoot (a ~$300 purchase) about 3 minutes into the snorkeling trip I'd gotten it for. Learn from my mistake.
01-26-2016, 04:53 PM   #621

Photos: Gallery
The time has come for us to offer the final prize from our Holiday Giveaway! Enter in this thread for a shot at winning a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm lens

How to enter:

As a reply to this thread, post a photography-related tip or suggestion for fellow users. It can focus on cameras, lenses, technique, accessories, post-processing, or other related topics you think would be helpful.

Limit your submission to no more than 5 sentences and no more than 1 image/link.

Winner selection:

The top 15 replies with the most Likes in this thread will be voted upon by forum members in a separate thread, similar to how we pick our monthly contest winners. Submissions will be accepted through January 31st, and voting will be between February 1st and 8th.

Submissions may be compiled into a reference article to serve as a community resource.

Good luck!
Framing. A simple tip in framing your shots is by using live view. Turn it on and look at the many possibilities in framing a scene. It's like looking at a framed art work. Fire away!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #622
JFD

Photos: Albums

How to enter:

Winner selection:

Good luck!
My tip is to use the plastic umbrella bag cover (provided at many office buildings to wrap wet umbrellas) as covers for your non waterproof lenses. I have used this many times when shooting Rugby matches in the rain to protect my older long zoom lenses on my waterproof K5 body.

01-26-2016, 05:31 PM - 4 Likes   #623
Inactive Account

Don't worry about the photo you've just taken. Worry about the three you'll miss while checking it on your camera.
01-26-2016, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #624

If you do not actually know the reason why you desire one piece of equipment (say, such lens or camera body), then you do not want to buy that piece of equipment.
01-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #625

Take a photo of life so that you can live in the future !
01-26-2016, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #626

If you have a Pentax k-3 or equivalent Pentax dslr that allows you to configure the front and rear command dials you can configure the dials as follows: for metered manual exposure control:
In the viewfinder you have the exposure index graph:
-5---to 0 to +5 with 0 being the correct exposure as measured by the metering system for any selected ISO. Therefore:
1) Make the front dial the aperture control dial (aperture being a part of any lens attached to the camera front).
2) Make the rear dial the shutter control dial (shutter speed being controlled in the camera body).
3) Make the front aperture dial to open the aperture from left to right and close the aperture from right to left.
4) Make the shutter to slow down from left to right and speed up from
right to left.
5) Now if any exposure setting combination when you power the camera shows underexposure you can move the exposure to
Correct exposure by moving the front or rear dial from left to right. Any over-exposure Will be corrected by moving the front or rear dial from right to left to Correct exposure.
The decision to move which dial depends on the Photographic control desired, be it movement control (shutter command configured rear dial) or depth of field control (aperture command configured front dial).
Once the dials configuration and direction of dial movement is done as described above the manual metering centering of the exposure graph becomes fast and straightforward 😃 I have configured my Pentax k-3 metered manual as described above and it truly is a pleasure to use that way.
01-26-2016, 07:16 PM - 2 Likes   #627
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
HD Pentax DA 55-300 lens: Giveaway

Ditch the camera strap and invest in a harness. They are more comfortable, leave your hands free, and the camera doesn't swing back and forth when you walk.
Happy shooting!
01-26-2016, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #628
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rent or borrow before buying.
01-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #629

How to enter:

Winner selection:

Good luck!
Nothing makes it easier to learn a new camera and all it features than taking pictures. Just keep a charged back-up battery in your pocket and start shooting. Change the ISO, change the F-stop, change the speed and shoot. When you look at the results, you can pull up the photo properties and know what it will take to do it right.
01-26-2016, 08:56 PM   #630

Basic Skills- The Joyous Foundations

As Pentaxians, we have two great advantages in lenses. First, everything lens is stabilized because the body itself does the work. This saves lots of weight and money while providing a great advantage, especially in low light or when hand holding the camera. Second, we have access to decades of world class glass through the K mount in it's variations and even through the great M42 adapters available.

Because of these advantages, especially when other companies fall short of the Pentax mark, I think part of every Pentaxian's growth should be gained through manual lenses. There is a thought process we entrust most or all of to the camera. Modern cameras handle this well but, as is the case with most modern technology, man is the weak link. Forcing ourselves to learn the effect of aperture or even more so to put the work into manually focusing can make our minds sharper and indeed more capable of using the amazing gear we spent a heavy dollar on.

These are truly basic skills which are largely unnecessary to take good photos but, with diligence, prove critical to sharpening our minds, effectively improving the tool of thought and human skill to pair with the technical ability of our camera and other gear. Having an ever-increasing arsenal of ability at the command of an ever-increasing artistic eye is where the world's best images come from and it really does start with something as simple as going manual.