Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2018, 02:40 AM   #196

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The main benefit is community engagement, a.k.a fun for everyone. Having a giveaway is a perfect excuse to turn users' attention to what they truly enjoy (photography) and what they have (cameras) rather than what all of the buzz is about (product and doomsday speculation). We also have tens of thousands of posted photos that have gone unnoticed simply due to their volume. I've discovered lots of beautiful shots (and found places I want to visit) just by browsing the photo gallery linked from the giveaway notice.
well said. i'd been away for awhile but it's great getting back here and getting inspiration from the photos of our members.

---------- Post added 06-16-18 at 05:43 AM ----------

oh, and do we have a "pet pics" thread? my best model needs some exposure!

06-16-2018, 02:48 AM   #197
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yep your pet a day.
Your Pet A Day.... (post up!) - PentaxForums.com
06-16-2018, 04:11 AM   #198
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
. . .

The giveaway is very generous and thank you for answering my question.

I'm thinking though, in light of the response, if we have more focus on the photos and less on sheer random post count, it would benefit that purpose more. Maybe comments on photos and/or hardware reviews count 1.5x/2x/or something along those lines. Or even just being entered in a drawing if you either post a review, photo, or comment on a photo. . . .
as I understand it, the winners of the prize don't have to post anything at all, just be one who gets into the final drawing

isn't that correct?

so those posting outside the final contest threads have no advantage in the give away, they are just participating in the forum as usual ( or increasing their contributions if they wish )
06-16-2018, 05:32 AM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
as I understand it, the winners of the prize don't have to post anything at all, just be one who gets into the final drawing

isn't that correct?

so those posting outside the final contest threads have no advantage in the give away, they are just participating in the forum as usual ( or increasing their contributions if they wish )
At least one post is required, I think besides the post in the drawing thread.
But, yeah, what you said.

06-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #200
Pentaxian

The giveaway is very generous and thank you for answering my question.

I'm thinking though, in light of the response, if we have more focus on the photos and less on sheer random post count, it would benefit that purpose more. Maybe comments on photos and/or hardware reviews count 1.5x/2x/or something along those lines. Or even just being entered in a drawing if you either post a review, photo, or comment on a photo.

Are you going to extend the deadline or relax the total post count if we don't meet the threshold? Unless something dramatic happens in the next two weeks, it doesn't look like we're going to be close.
I kept hoping @Adam would respond to this - his answers are so much more gracious than mine.

In the past day, you have posted four times to this thread. Period. You could have posted multiple photos, or commented on multiple photos, during that same time. My issue is the negativity here, and this constant commenting about process is an example of that. I know from experience that commenting on photos takes time; you have to look at them, think about them, and skip some you don't think are worthy of comment, but it can be done. @Adam says that is what is trying to foster; when I've commented on a photo, I've often noticed that he got there before me. You could do that too, and if you and others did that, focusing on the photos rather than on the process, we wouldn't be close - we would be way beyond the target without need of any multiplier.
06-16-2018, 08:10 AM   #201
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I kept hoping @Adam would respond to this - his answers are so much more gracious than mine.

In the past day, you have posted four times to this thread. Period. You could have posted multiple photos, or commented on multiple photos, during that same time.
I already answered that..

But why? A bunch of posts for the sake of padding post total doesn't really raise the quality of the conversation here.. it just increases the data Adam has to now keep indefinitely in storage.

I don't think the only options are the ones you provided. But I'm curious as to how this benefits PF. I don't just do things because the crowd is doing those things, I'm curious to know why. Is that really a problem to wonder? I'm not the enemy

My issue is the negativity here, and this constant commenting about process is an example of that. I know from experience that commenting on photos takes time; you have to look at them, think about them, and skip some you don't think are worthy of comment, but it can be done. @Adam says that is what is trying to foster; when I've commented on a photo, I've often noticed that he got there before me. You could do that too, and if you and others did that, focusing on the photos rather than on the process, we wouldn't be close - we would be way beyond the target without need of any multiplier.
Your perceived negativity on the perceived negativity isn't helping either... two sides of the same coin. I agree Adam is a lot more gracious in his comments though. We could all learn something there..

Commenting on photos can take very little time, 'nice shot', 'thanks for sharing', 'interesting subject', etc... and I'd rather not receive those kind of comments or offer them if they weren't sincere (and I'd wonder if they were if people were being pressed into service to toss them around in hopes of getting something in return -- in this case a camera).

You put more care into your comments and I think that is fantastic. But I don't think a lot of people really spend that amount of time going from shot to shot. You're retired too so you have all day to spend on the forum. I do not. Different life situations present..

We could do a lot of things though, reh, but there is little incentive to do those things. Which is why I think there isn't a big rush to do those things you suggest..
06-17-2018, 04:10 AM   #202
Veteran Member

Rules clarification, please!

Cross-posted here but no response...

"Limited to one entry per household" - is that over the whole three draws, or can a household have one entry per draw? What if you enter but turn out to be #51 in that thread - can you try the next month, or indeed 12 hours later?

Cheers

Jonathan

06-17-2018, 05:34 AM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by h4yn0nnym0u5e Quote
Cross-posted here but no response...

"Limited to one entry per household" - is that over the whole three draws, or can a household have one entry per draw? What if you enter but turn out to be #51 in that thread - can you try the next month, or indeed 12 hours later?

Cheers

Jonathan
I believe one entry per household per draw. Don't know what happens if you win, but I wouldn't re-enter... two K-1 to the same address really is shameless luck!
#51 doens't count, so I believe you have every right to enter the next thread to make it count.
06-17-2018, 05:44 AM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by h4yn0nnym0u5e Quote
If it doesn't count, you don't win. If you don't enter, you don't win. So I fail to see any reason why you wouldn't just enter all three anyway. What's the worst that can happen?
06-17-2018, 05:48 AM   #205
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
If it doesn't count, you don't win. If you don't enter, you don't win. So I fail to see any reason why you wouldn't just enter all three anyway. What's the worst that can happen?
you don't win
06-17-2018, 05:52 AM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Because it would be against the rules?
06-17-2018, 08:47 AM   #207
Pentaxian

All this chatter is pointless unless people {other than @LensBeginner, who is doing a great job} consistently enter posts during the next two weeks. We're supposed to be having fun, not fussing about rules. If @Adam had made provision for counting some posts more than others, or making odds of winning depend number of posts, then people would be fussing about how posts are counted .... but he didn't do that. Post a bunch of images, or comment about images others have posted, or get in a serious conversation, or get in a silly conversation - all is the same here. I've had a great time seeing what others have been doing - and I've discovered there are a lot more detail-laden pictures taken with K-70 and KP than I had been aware of. I've tried to demonstrate that twenty or thirty posts per day shouldn't be a "burden" on anyone not working two jobs to purchase a K-1 on his/her own.
06-17-2018, 08:59 AM - 2 Likes   #208
Veteran Member

All this chatter is pointless unless people {other than @LensBeginner, who is doing a great job} consistently enter posts during the next two weeks. We're supposed to be having fun, not fussing about rules. If @Adam had made provision for counting some posts more than others, or making odds of winning depend number of posts, then people would be fussing about how posts are counted .... but he didn't do that. Post a bunch of images, or comment about images others have posted, or get in a serious conversation, or get in a silly conversation - all is the same here. I've had a great time seeing what others have been doing - and I've discovered there are a lot more detail-laden pictures taken with K-70 and KP than I had been aware of. I've tried to demonstrate that twenty or thirty posts per day shouldn't be a "burden" on anyone not working two jobs to purchase a K-1 on his/her own.
Well, not entirely pointless - it gets the post count up towards 40k...

Personally, I have been posting more, but only when I felt I had something useful or entertaining to contribute to a given thread. I'm not going to post just for the sake of it.

Er. Except this post. Darn...
06-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #209
Veteran Member

Haha thanks @reh321!
You and @bertwert are doing a swell job as well, and the mods as well.
...yesterday evening Racer X 69 was on a roll!
06-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...yesterday evening Racer X 69 was on a roll!
It was hard to keep up with the forum with him around!
Closed Thread