Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 199 Likes Search this Thread
06-21-2018, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
My immediate reaction was great to see some photos I would never have seen unless you commented on them.
So it’s a “thank you” from me
To clarify my thoughts

1. my initial thought was to post even more comments at the photo section, but creating conflict is contrary to what I see as the goals of this thing, so I'm giving this a chance - I didn't say I'll still be doing this in a few days if it doesn't work out like yesterday did.

2. yesterday, "we" gained almost what "we" needed to, even with my "backing off"

3. today, at this moment, I am third on the activity list

06-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #272
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I re-read the rules for the n-th time. If I now understand them correctly, being a "high post contributor", may result in receiving a "participation prize - such as a T-shirt.

{see, I can also stretch an answer across two posts!}
Didn't even notice the T-shirt part!
If I happen to win one, I'll let someone else having it, maybe an American, so it's more convenient for them to mail it
06-21-2018, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #273
Pentaxian

I gather there is generally more activity, and (from the bits I've seen and participated in) rather good-natured. And, it may just be an impression, but I think I've seen a few more introductory posts from new members than usual. It's all good then, isn't it?

A few will post a whole lot, many will post a little more than usual, some may post just once to abide by the rules. I post more or less depending on the day, my mood, or my availability to do so. And I don't always have something interesting to say (or at least funny), even if / when browsing photos.

The rules are what they are. If they had included a minimum number of total posts per member, or that raffle tickets were proportional to that number, I would probably have decided I was not up to it. As it stands, I've probably posted more in the last two weeks and a half than in the several years since I joined!
06-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #274
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
I gather there is generally more activity, and (from the bits I've seen and participated in) rather good-natured.
And I am hoping it will stay that way.

QuoteOriginally posted by sergeremy Quote
As it stands, I've probably posted more in the last two weeks and a half than in the several years since I joined!
Which is one of the stated purposes of it. I was in "hyper drive" extra posting because I was concerned that we would fall so far behind and most people would give up - it would do more harm than good.

06-21-2018, 03:04 PM   #275
Pentaxian

I was in "hyper drive" extra posting because...
I quite understand, and hopefully thanks will be duly given by the winner(s) of the raffle(s)!
06-22-2018, 05:33 AM   #276
Pentaxian

I was in "hyper drive" extra posting because I was concerned that we would fall so far behind and most people would give up - it would do more harm than good.
Well, I couldn't keep it up. Wednesday was a good day; we "gained two hours" on what we needed.

Thursday was a bad day - a very bad day; when I went to bed we had "lost at least three hours", so I did some "hyper drive" posting before bedtime hoping to put us in a better position for today.
When the daily counts reset {several hours before my bedtime} I had the third highest post count, despite my more relaxed activity.
06-22-2018, 05:45 AM   #277

gotta commend everyone here doing their best to keep us in the game. i will endeavor to do a better job carrying my share of the load.

06-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #278

Yo, let's keep the dream alive.
06-22-2018, 09:51 AM   #279
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just comment more on photos folks, that's what it's a about after all.

I often see photos and feel unqualified to comment on them, so I'm try harder there. Even if it's just to say you like it, that's positive and enriching for the poster.

It's friday night here now and the wine is kicking in so if the spell checker misses or I ignore it, well just chuckle.
06-22-2018, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Just comment more on photos folks, that's what it's a about after all.

I often see photos and feel unqualified to comment on them, so I'm try harder there. Even if it's just to say you like it, that's positive and enriching for the poster.

It's friday night here now and the wine is kicking in so if the spell checker misses or I ignore it, well just chuckle.
Part of my issue is that if I were honest, the submitter would be offended, so I say nothing at all about many of the submissions.
06-22-2018, 10:13 AM   #281
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Part of my issue is that if I were honest, the submitter would be offended, so I say nothing at all about many of the submissions.
And that's OK too.
You have to be brave to ask for critique, I don't and nor do most but even so if a photo presents that appeals for whatever reason I try and say so. We all know how difficult it can be to get something right, and if it happens even by chance or accident and the poster has recognised that let's say it works for us.
06-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #282
Veteran Member

...are you the Gordon Ramsay of photography?
06-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #283
Pentaxian

(How many times is this sentence going to be quoted? )

My problem is that I'm really not interested in seeing pictures I've already seen, or that are taken to show they can be, however fabulously well taken they are. Something personal is what I'm looking for, even if technically off - and those are sometimes difficult to lift out of the very many photos posted. I'm not suggesting members should post much less, and I commend one and all for putting out their production, be it in hope of praise or critique or just for sharing what they are proud of. I simply will often have nothing to say... which makes it difficult to post very much!

And I can't even compensate by posting many of my own pictures, because I don't shoot all that much - it's more like I go on a spree every now and then . And I'll be quite picky about the few that will make it to any public viewing because there aren't that many that I will feel strongly enough about.
06-22-2018, 01:02 PM - 2 Likes   #284
Veteran Member

There are hundreds of photos out there, most with fewer that a dozen comments. Surely you can find something relevant to say on some of them?!
Mmm ... rarely. My reactions tend to be one of:
  • I like that because X, (to which the response is probably either
    • I know, that's why I took it, or
    • oh yeah, never noticed that)
  • That's the 473rd time I've seen that shirt, and it's not that great - could you get another one please?
  • That's yet another extraordinarily dull image - why do you keep posting them?*
Posting those reactions would mostly not make anyone any happier, or better informed...

Guess I just reckon the picture itself is indeed worth 1000 words, and clicking "like" when I do is enough. For me. YMMV

Cheers

Jonathan

* rare, but it does happen
06-22-2018, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...are you the Gordon Ramsay of photography?
I hope not!

I speak with a Midwestern American accent {the non-descript "accent" desired of newsmen}

I really do try to find encouraging things to say, but I don't necessarily see anything praiseworthy of a picture of a leaf, or a new cottage, or a dead perch {fish} or a 1999 U.S. dime, especially if the same person posted a similar image earlier today .... I'll leave those comments to be made by others. On the other hand, I've seen pictures that are special in some sense, and when I feel that way I will say so.

Last edited by reh321; 06-22-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Closed Thread