Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 199 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 06:26 AM   #91
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It seems to me that this 40,000 post target has wound up some of the site's usual blowhards to hurricane force. There are one or two know-it-alls who I usually manage to avoid because I don't hang out in the same sort of threads as them, but now they are turning up all over the place just to get their post count up. I've never "ignored" anyone in the past, because I prefer to read all the angles of any debate, but I think that eventually this contest is going to force me to do it.

After a few more weeks of this, I think I'll be willing to give them a K-1 myself just to get them to shut up.
If that's me, I apologize...

...also put me on the list with Norm too.

06-06-2018, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
It seems to me that this 40,000 post target has wound up some of the site's usual blowhards to hurricane force. There are one or two know-it-alls who I usually manage to avoid because I don't hang out in the same sort of threads as them, but now they are turning up all over the place just to get their post count up. I've never "ignored" anyone in the past, because I prefer to read all the angles of any debate, but I think that eventually this contest is going to force me to do it.

After a few more weeks of this, I think I'll be willing to give them a K-1 myself just to get them to shut up.
@Adam can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the intention here is to inject some positive energy into the place during summer, when things tend to droop. Coming into this summer, negative energy predominated already, with all the negative reactions to the K-1ii. I'm really really tired of all the complaining and 'bitching' - "Pentax shouldn't do this" and "Pentax should do this". "Pentax is doomed" has long ceased to be a joke; at another discussion forum where I'm a regular, I've seen this place quoted as proving that a Pentax camera shouldn't be considered, because they're going to stop producing any day anyway. I've had to explain to others that a K-30 isn't a 'doorstop' just because it has come down with the aperture control issue, but people who have read shallowly here think all K-30s are afflicted, and that is the end. Last year about this time, I came very close to quitting this place forever, but the example set by @Rupert got me to stay. I find the negative attitudes displayed by so many other members to be really distressing, though, which is why I was hoping that this contest could be a time of good humor .... but if even that is going to cause even more complaining!

And if you think this is a 'hurricane', I do not apologize!!

Last edited by reh321; 06-06-2018 at 09:28 AM. Reason: 'hurricane'
06-06-2018, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
@Adam can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the intention here is to inject some positive energy into the place during summer, when things tend to droop. Coming into this summer, negative energy predominated already, with all the negative reactions to the K-1ii. I'm really really tired of all the complaining and 'bitching' - "Pentax shouldn't do this" and "Pentax should do this". "Pentax is doomed" has long ceased to be a joke; at another discussion forum where I'm a regular, I've seen this place quoted as proving that a Pentax camera shouldn't be considered, because they're going to stop producing any day anyway. I've had to explain to others that a K-30 isn't a 'doorstop' just because it has come down with the aperture control issue, but people who have read shallowly here think all K-30s are afflicted, and that is the end. Last year about this time, I came very close to quitting this place forever, but the example set by @Rupert got me to stay. I find the negative attitudes displayed by so many other members to be really distressing, though, which is why I was hoping that this contest could be a time of good humor .... but if even that is going to cause even more complaining!

Agree, I stick to threads where I know the likelihood of any negative vibes is close to zero - I’m so pleased with my Pentax gear that the only thing which can affect my happiness in a negative way is all the crap about Pentax being doomed.
We can make a difference by taking pictures and show the world.
The flat earth thing made me laugh, that’s also why we are here, to have fun.
06-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #94
Pentaxian

You do realize that no one is entered yet?

First, we have to reach 40K posts in the month of June. With five hours left in day five, we just reached the sub-goal for day four. You need to help us by making lots more posts in order for us to catch up.
Well, we reached the previous day's sub-goal an hour faster than we did yesterday. That is progress!

06-06-2018, 02:14 PM   #95
Pentaxian

What he said ^

At least one Pentax Ambassador said he finds the negativity unpleasant here, so much so he rarely drops in. If you like the cameras, don't really have any serious complaints and just like taking and discussing taking pictures maybe this isn't the place for you.

The forum is constantly under siege. People who are happy with their Pentax gear end up feeling guilty, and whiners and complainers, "the my lens is better than your lens bores", the "this other camera system is better bores" are coddled.

And for griefs sake get the non-Pentax forum a new home with it's own site. If you can ban religious and politics you can ban discussion about mirrorless, which is pretty much on the same level as religious discussion.

I see absolutely no difference between mirrorless shooters proselytizing and Jehovas Witnesse turning up on my doorstep. Pretty much the same with Canon, Sony, Fuji and Nikon shooters. If they can't be banned, at least fix it so their posts don't show up in the new posts or other search threads. That's the same as ringing my doorbell.

Last edited by normhead; 06-06-2018 at 03:03 PM.
06-06-2018, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #96
Pentaxian

Well isn't it like this in any online forum though? You always have the fanboys, the naysayers, the negative people and the attention seekers. Those are usually in a very small minority but they are the ones people notice the most. The "silent majority" of this forum is taking pictures, posting honest opinions and being nice to each other.
I choose to ignore the noise... there's so many nice people here that it's worth it, no question about it.
06-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Well isn't it like this in any online forum though? You always have the fanboys, the naysayers, the negative people and the attention seekers. Those are usually in a very small minority but they are the ones people notice the most. The "silent majority" of this forum is taking pictures, posting honest opinions and being nice to each other.
I choose to ignore the noise... there's so many nice people here that it's worth it, no question about it.
No, as I previously noted, I am a regular at generic on-line photography forum - at that one, Canon and Nikon partisans regularly clash .... but things seldom get as vicious as they regularly get here, and they don't go over the same ground quite as regularly as they do here. When I first "found" this place, I recommended it over there, and several Pentax users disavowed any connection to this place. Now I understand - "Pentax is Dooooomed" is treated as a joke here, but the comments that fit into that framework are not understood in that framework by outsiders - they think that Pentax really does make inferior products and that the company will have long since failed before the camera purchase that follows the current one.

For example, there was a nice astro image in the K-1 section, but people regularly talk "star eater" about the K-1ii with absolutely no evidence of that. We simultaneously have some users saying that the K-1ii has nothing new and some users saying that K-1ii has ruined the K-1 concept. I've never been a place where so many people are not happy unless they are unhappy!

added: back to the subject.... The purpose of this contest is to have some fun; maybe someone will even get a new camera. So, let's stop complaining about "post whores" and join them in having fun!!

06-06-2018, 03:05 PM   #98
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
there's so many nice people here that it's worth it, no question about it.
That would be a personal opinion, not shared by everyone.

For many some day's it's worth it some days it isn't
06-06-2018, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don’t know why, but this Pixar short film popped up in my mind :
06-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Well, we reached the previous day's sub-goal an hour faster than we did yesterday. That is progress!
Someone's tracking the progress quite seriously.
All I know is we need at least 20% by the end of today to be fully on track.
06-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Someone's tracking the progress quite seriously.
All I know is we need at least 20% by the end of today to be fully on track.
Here's one to help.
06-06-2018, 04:07 PM   #102
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The response to this giveaway has been phenomenal so far. Maybe we should do a camera each month?

BTW, I won't be making a hard cut on July 1st- if we're in the upper 90's or so, we'll call it close enough for June!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #103
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If we go at this hard enough do you think we can break the internet?
06-06-2018, 06:24 PM   #104

Photos: Gallery
If someone starts a thread about politics in the US we'll reach the goal in no time
06-06-2018, 06:34 PM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ManhattanProject Quote
If someone starts a thread about politics in the US we'll reach the goal in no time
The light wouldn't be adequate for reading, but the heat might melt the Internet!!
Closed Thread