Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 199 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2018, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #616
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
. . .

Nobody like it if somebody complains with out offering a suggestion.

Run the contest as the rules are written.

40,000 post per month,

Member in good standings

To enter the draw, must be a member for 24 hours or more and have made a minimum of one post during time limit. (June 1st to June 30th. July 1st to July 31st, August 1st to August 31st)

At the end of time period, if total post count is met for the month (40,000), a single thread will be opened for 24 hours (example UCT 1100 am June 30th to UCT 1100 am July 1st) to allow members to enter into the drawing but can only be entered into drawing one time.

Winner will be picked no earlier than UCT 1300 July 1st and no later than 2300 July 1st using a random number generator from the members who entered in the special thread
hmmmmmm

I could go with that

06-30-2018, 05:59 PM - 6 Likes   #617
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Amicus Quote
Thanks for your reply. I hope you could solve your family emergency well. Nothing comes before that.
As you can see I'm not a newbie here, registered now 5 years ago, longtime read only member.

Can assure you I'm long been on the "other" side as well, operating a mid-size German forum for years, also contributed as mod to 2 other forums also for years in the run, so I know how much effort it takes.

All I'm saying is it seemed fishy and at least messy, and also why take a manual approach when you obviously even have the automatism in the forums to let these special threads run along automatically?
(like now visible in the bonus thread).
And it seemed the forum and or mods weren't up to the way the "raffle" was chosen.

I even would support members demanding a more closed form of giveaway, more in a contributing way of activly sharing photos..even if I couldn't participate in it anymore.

But when you make an "open" style raffle, you would ensure its fair to all users and no one comes special.. Not even 2 mods that tried to enter this morning but failed (I'm sure they weren't the only ones)

Thanks for keeping it up anyway.
I'm not sure what to make of your comments. I am the moderator who opened and closed the competition, manually, as was required for this competition. The site administrators will, for future competitions, put in place a more automated system. For this competition, it had to be done manually. That was done by simply changing the thread from "closed" to "open" and back to "closed" status once 50 members had entered. As for moderators entering: In that process, they are like any other member and had to take their chances to try to get an entry in, from their computers, where ever they are in the world and subject to all the normal bandwidth issues we all face from time to time. As it was, in order to be fair, it was decided to not allow those two moderator entries.

At the time when the competition was opened by me, there were more than 2,000 members online with many of those attempting to get an entry in. Apart from opening the thread late, for the reason as had been posted, the competition thread functioned as anticipated and accepted the 50 entries correctly. As for the first competition, the 50 entries happened incredibly quickly.

Moderators here are regular members who volunteer their time to help ensure a friendly and good forum experience for all forum members. We receive no special benefits nor preferencial posting privileges.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 06-30-2018 at 06:06 PM.
06-30-2018, 06:07 PM   #618
Pentaxian

Quote by Ronald Reagan...…"If You are explaining.....Your Loosing".....end Quote. (Reagan Diaries)
06-30-2018, 06:13 PM - 2 Likes   #619
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
They could just get regular accounts separate from their mod ones for such events.. that would solve that.
Moderators are bound by the same rules as every one. After all they are members first, and subject to the same expectations as all members.

The rules prohibit multiple accounts.

So moderators would be in violation of the rules by having a second account.

06-30-2018, 06:15 PM   #620
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Quote by Ronald Reagan...…"If You are explaining.....Your Loosing".....end Quote. (Reagan Diaries)
Meaning?
06-30-2018, 06:27 PM - 5 Likes   #621
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They could just get regular accounts separate from their mod ones for such events.. that would solve that.
We mods make an extraordinary effort to abide by forum rules.
Forum rules prohibit multiple accounts.
06-30-2018, 06:32 PM - 2 Likes   #622
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Meaning?
I guess if he has to explain it he loses.

06-30-2018, 06:52 PM   #623
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Moderators are bound by the same rules as every one. After all they are members first, and subject to the same expectations as all members.

The rules prohibit multiple accounts.

So moderators would be in violation of the rules by having a second account.
So change the rule? It is a lot easier than having Adam program your accounts or the thread specially for you guys.
06-30-2018, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #624
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

So change the rule? It is a lot easier than having Adam program your accounts or the thread specially for you guys.
For the third go around today Adam set up the drawing so all accounts were treated the same by the software controlling th thread. Those of us who chose to make a third attempt at getting a raffle ticket saw exactly the same thing as regular members.

He also set it up to open and close automatically, with no human intervention.

That is the best option, since there can be no question about eligibility to claim a ticket, or whether or not the thread was actually open or not when the first posts were made.
06-30-2018, 07:46 PM - 4 Likes   #625
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
I am unhappy about the way the contest thread happened.
I take it then you are volunteering to buy a K-1 to give away in the method YOU desire? Rules are rules, if you don't like them, don't participate.

I'm not a moderator, nor affiliated with the site, I just don't like whiners.
06-30-2018, 09:00 PM   #626
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Twenty-nine days ago I logged onto here in the morning with my smart phone and noticed it had some kind of large red dot at the top of the page. When I got to my computer, I realized it was a circle associated with an impossibly small percentage. Over the month I watched it grow to morph into today's excitement. The excitement is good, but I miss the dot.
The dot is back!!!
06-30-2018, 09:01 PM   #627
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LSR Quote
I have next to no chance of winning the giveaway, but wanted to thank you and all involved for offering it.If nothing else, when I received your email about the contest it made me get off my butt and pick up my Pentax and snap some pictures.After that, I even dusted off the old K10D to appreciate the engineering which went into it, mounted a * lens and relived some fond memories of my first Pentax digital camera.
A priceless result- thanks for sharing!

However I think you'd have a shot in July. Why not give it a go?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-30-2018, 09:03 PM - 3 Likes   #628
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can please some of the people some of the time but all of the people none of the time.

This is a great forum. Adam and the mods do a fantastic job. Is the K-1 give-away contest perfect, hardly but which of us is perfect? Let's get back to the real reason for the forum, Pentax discussion and pictures . . . . . . . lots of pictures, so get out there and shoot and post your photos.
06-30-2018, 09:03 PM   #629
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
You need to practice your transcription skills. I'm quite certain Mr. Reagan wouldn't have talk about a relaxing owned by you - try "You're Losing"
06-30-2018, 09:54 PM   #630
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I take it then you are volunteering to buy a K-1 to give away in the method YOU desire? Rules are rules, if you don't like them, don't participate.

I'm not a moderator, nor affiliated with the site, I just don't like whiners.
So, I take it you are fine with complying with all the rules, being in place to try to get a "ticket" and in the time you hit the refresh button, the thread where you are to place your entry opens and closes before your computer/internet access has time to refresh the page. If you are fine with the process, that is ok by me. All I am trying to do is make a suggestion that is fair to everybody in the world.

If you don't like that, I'm sorry but people like me want to be able to have a chance to win, and not have that chance taken away just because 50 people out of the 1500 trying to get a "ticket" have a computer that has maxed out specs, or their internet connection is 10 GB instead of 10 MB. That was part of the reason there was two threads to enter in so people wouldn't have to stay up all night just to enter.

To Adam and the mods. If I have over stepped my bounds, please forgive me.
Closed Thread