Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2018, 04:32 AM   #271
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I imagine those who wrote several lines had their posts ready prepared and just had to hit the send button
There was more to it than 'just' hitting the send button. First was a careful consideration of the text to post, knowing that it could
be edited later but nonetheless knowing it might be read by someone. I knew the text must be of a minimum number of characters,
so "In!" wouldn't do. I contemplated pasting a VERY long text for laughs but worried that might actually delay my response as the
server choked on _War And Peace_. So, a short paragraph from Wiki fit the bill.

Next, a few practice runs. Refresh screen, note where "Post Reply" button will be. CTRL-V, scroll page, Submit Reply. Repeat
practice a few times to minimize any uncertainty.

Deep breaths, relax. Watch the clock. 06:59:08UTC, stop watching clock and start refreshing. I didn't go spazzy on the refresh.
I let the screen completely reload each time and gave it a good second before hitting refresh again. Relax. I knew when the Post Reply
button was coming because of the pause on the refresh. CTRL-V, scroll page, Submit Reply. Loooooonngg pause............. Finally
the screen reloaded. That was really the worst part.

06-30-2018, 04:32 AM - 3 Likes   #272
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I notice a high proportion of the first 50 entries are new members or people with fewer than 100 posts - this seems to me to be a major success - a lot of old hands and people who already own a k-1 keeping out of the competition and creating new PF members. I just hope that the winner is actually interested in owning and using the camera - you can't regulate things like that, but it would be great if it happened.
06-30-2018, 04:33 AM   #273
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I'd like to think that there are new Pentax owners who are keen to get the top of the line camera. The entry that I am curious about was the one consisting of a single word. My first attempt failed because the server rejected it as too short. How did someone else manage to post a single word? Anyway, best of luck to those who were in the first 50.
It's based on total characters not how many words...you can't make a post that just says yes or no...
06-30-2018, 04:33 AM   #274
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I'd like to think that there are new Pentax owners who are keen to get the top of the line camera. The entry that I am curious about was the one consisting of a single word. My first attempt failed because the server rejected it as too short. How did someone else manage to post a single word? Anyway, best of luck to those who were in the first 50.
I think the number of characters is important not the number of words.

06-30-2018, 04:33 AM   #275
Pentaxian

Shows the number of submissions instantly hitting the thread within the few milliseconds after thread opened that 15 beat the time it took the algorithm to step in and close.

Would be good to hear from Adam an analysis of number of submissions that were made in total in the minute or so after the thread opened. Could be close to the 2000 plus eligible posters..
06-30-2018, 04:34 AM   #276
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ooh! If I post another 38 times, I'll break 4000 posts!
06-30-2018, 04:34 AM   #277
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
There was more to it than 'just' hitting the send button. First was a careful consideration of the text to post, knowing that it could
be edited later but nonetheless knowing it might be read by someone. I knew the text must be of a minimum number of characters,
so "In!" wouldn't do. I contemplated pasting a VERY long text for laughs but worried that might actually delay my response as the

Next, a few practice runs. Refresh screen, note where "Post Reply" button will be. CTRL-V, scroll page, Submit Reply. Repeat

Deep breaths, relax. Watch the clock. 06:59:08UTC, stop watching clock and start refreshing. I didn't go spazzy on the refresh.
I let the screen completely reload each time and gave it a good second before hitting refresh again. Relax. I knew when the Post Reply
button was coming because of the pause on the refresh. CTRL-V, scroll page, Submit Reply. Loooooonngg pause............. Finally
But wait... Didn't you read Adam's post that said "no Wiki paragraphs"? Oh dear... all that effort...

06-30-2018, 04:34 AM   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Going through the 50 entries it's amazing how many people with less than 10 posts were able to load the page in time...
I took too long saying the same thing - good job I didn't try entering the raffle!
06-30-2018, 04:35 AM   #279
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I notice a high proportion of the first 50 entries are new members or people with fewer than 100 posts - this seems to me to be a major success - a lot of old hands and people who already own a k-1 keeping out of the competition and creating new PF members. I just hope that the winner is actually interested in owning and using the camera - you can't regulate things like that, but it would be great if it happened.
I noticed one of the entries was the user's second post...
06-30-2018, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #280
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote

Same... but still too late. And for those blaming ping times - I'm on 300mbs cable with reasonably good pings and response times from this and other sites. The load was high briefly and that slowed everything down. Granted with a higher ping I had maybe more chances in theory but despite it unlocking and my getting an opportunity it was closed before I could complete a simple CONTROL-V paste and post...
06-30-2018, 04:37 AM   #281
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It's based on total characters not how many words...you can't make a post that just says yes or no...
The shortest entries are 5 characters.
06-30-2018, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #282
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Going through the 50 entries it's amazing how many people with less than 10 posts were able to load the page in time...
There were some for whom it was only their second post. Considering that new members posts are placed in an approval queue I wonder how it is they actually made an entry.
06-30-2018, 04:39 AM   #283
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think the number of characters is important not the number of words.
The number appears to be five characters.
06-30-2018, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #284
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
There were some for whom it was only their second post. Considering that new members posts are placed in an approval queue I wonder how it is they actually made an entry.
Good point, Racer. We should pick that up with Adam. If he opened the doors for this particular thread, that's fine - but if there are other means of registering a post here "under the radar", we ought to be aware of that...
06-30-2018, 04:41 AM - 1 Like   #285
Veteran Member

Well congrats to all who made it. I am going back to bed. Nothing I can do now. See everyone in 12 hours!
Closed Thread