Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 366 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2018, 04:23 AM - 3 Likes   #256
SJM
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good luck to those who got in. I am looking forward to hearing who wins.

06-30-2018, 04:24 AM   #257
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Guys, today is the 29th!
thank you
06-30-2018, 04:25 AM   #258
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
As a matter of interest where are the servers located?
I'm afraid I don't know, Andy... @Adam would be able to tell you.
06-30-2018, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For anyone wondering what happened there, apparently I'm not the only one with a digital watch. The site was slammed while apparently 2100 of us, (and probably way more) all tried to load it at once. If you look at the top of the contest page, it will say all entries taken and if you scroll down there will be the entry replies. All 50 of them. all in the time it took for the squirrels to run down my decrepit 90$ a month phone line. I set my watch and got up to try it, but I'm afraid this will likely be a game for healthy cable guys with low ping and fast fingers this evening when even more members are digesting supper here in the eastern time zone. Good luck anyway!

06-30-2018, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #260
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
So, even a half hour time offset - you really are a reality show run by NASA, aren't you?

how does a time zone get half an hour off?
06-30-2018, 04:27 AM   #261
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blues_hawk Quote
For anyone wondering what happened there, apparently I'm not the only one with a digital watch. The site was slammed while apparently 2100 of us, (and probably way more) all tried to load it at once. If you look at the top of the contest page, it will say all entries taken and if you scroll down there will be the entry replies. All 50 of them. all in the time it took for the squirrels to run down my decrepit 90$ a month phone line. I set my watch and got up to try it, but I'm afraid this will likely be a game for healthy cable guys with low ping and fast fingers this evening when even more members are digesting supper here in the eastern time zone. Good luck anyway!
good to know
06-30-2018, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #262
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Gives you an idea how many forum members were keen for a chance to get a K1 I suppose!
There were nearly 1,800 members online when the raffle opened.

Kinda like the doors of the department stores just before opening on Black Friday.

06-30-2018, 04:28 AM   #263
Veteran Member

This is so weird. My profile says I have a post on June 1 and another yesterday, and I didn't get any error message when I hit Submit Reply, and my profile also shows a post in the first raffle thread with number 4338002, but clicking the link doesn't show it -- instead, post 4338003 shows up twice for me.
06-30-2018, 04:28 AM   #264
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Well I probably wasn't going to enter anyway - now I'm definitely not. Yes.it's still a cheap K-1, but the terms are much less favourable than for US citizens.
Yeah I wondered about this myself, and the taxes on this thing could be as high as a k-50. Be ready for that if you win!

In fact...NOBODY SHOULD TRY! LOL
06-30-2018, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #265
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loyalt Quote
List of UTC time offsets - Wikipedia
06-30-2018, 04:29 AM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Presumably people had the text in the clipboard ready to paste. I'm curious where the servers are located too. YMMV depending on your time to route.
These delays could happen regardless of server location. When a large influx of http requests come in, they are queued and served as quickly as possible. Nature of the game, nothing more to do about it.
06-30-2018, 04:30 AM   #267
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loyalt Quote
Because they didn't want to be the same as Sydney and Melbourne, and Perth is too far behind! Seriously the difference in time zones between the West Coast and the East Coast of Australia meant South Aus and Northern Territory has to have that half hour difference to be realistic. Bit of a bu&&er if the software driven device doesn't cater for it, my dashcam for example.
06-30-2018, 04:30 AM   #268
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Going through the 50 entries it's amazing how many people with less than 10 posts were able to load the page in time...
I'd like to think that there are new Pentax owners who are keen to get the top of the line camera. The entry that I am curious about was the one consisting of a single word. My first attempt failed because the server rejected it as too short. How did someone else manage to post a single word? Anyway, best of luck to those who were in the first 50.
06-30-2018, 04:30 AM   #269
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
going through the 50 entries it's amazing how many people with less than 10 posts were able to load the page in time...
right????
06-30-2018, 04:31 AM   #270
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
As a matter of interest where are the servers located?
In a server hotel.

Server hotels are high security places, usually nondescript buildings with no markings and very limited access. Security guards often posted to keep miscreants away and prevent any nefarious activity.
Closed Thread