Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #391
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Well, the double posts are odd. Considering how many people were on the ball yet failed to get in, it is very odd indeed
that at least two users were able to successfully submit two posts in the very short window before the raffle closed.
I have no idea how that happened but do highly suspect an auto-post script, as Normhead suggests, may have been
deployed. As to whether that's cheating, that will be Adam's call. There certainly wasn't any mention of such an eventuality
in the contest rules, likely because no one anticipated such duplicitous behavior. Then again, the double posts may have
happened internally, though I have no idea how that might have happened.
I've had double-posts happen to me unintentionally, the forum just does it occasionally.

06-30-2018, 07:44 AM - 4 Likes   #392
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
try decaf

Death before decaf.
06-30-2018, 07:47 AM   #393

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I've followed some threads on the matter... the issue with that kind of objects is usually DoF, which is usually improved with a smaller sensor, not a larger one.
Unless you're prepared to focus-stack a lot of shots, which is generally not what people shooting a large number of items want to do, because it's time-consuming.
And with a smaller sensor you could always stack for NR anyway.
Looks like your solution is either buying a good macro lens, or deglassing an adapter with helicoid, or buying a set of extension tubes... the K-1 doesn't look like the best solution for the specific problem you're facing.
Oh no. I was just making my point that in some cases gear matters. Nowadays I own a 50-135mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, Tammy 17-50mm, Tamron 90mm, Pentax 10-17mm and a couple others that I use for shooting products and models in studio and events. In some situations the cleaner ISO noise will help my job I'm sure. Specially when shooting models in the field at 5 in the morning with natural light, which I did a couple of weeks ago.

p.s. and yes, the focus stacking (I did just once) is time consuming for a catalog. The Tamron 90mm is doing a very good job now.
06-30-2018, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #394
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I've had double-posts happen to me unintentionally, the forum just does it occasionally.
Then it may well be nothing more than a server glitch. Certainly not surprising considering the heavy load in those
brief seconds.

06-30-2018, 07:49 AM   #395
Veteran Member

Well, the double posts are odd. Considering how many people were on the ball yet failed to get in, it is very odd indeed
that at least two users were able to successfully submit two posts in the very short window before the raffle closed.
I have no idea how that happened but do highly suspect an auto-post script, as Normhead suggests, may have been
deployed. As to whether that's cheating, that will be Adam's call. There certainly wasn't any mention of such an eventuality
in the contest rules, likely because no one anticipated such duplicitous behavior. Then again, the double posts may have
happened internally, though I have no idea how that might have happened.
I noticed that too and suspected that also. However in spite of that , would it be considered a Double entry (one entry per) and rejected as Adam said ?
I believe he already has it covered.
Im sure Adam is quite familiar with the Auto-Post script and manipulation that can happen.
It will be interesting to see what the outcome is.
06-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #396
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
Oh no. I was just making my point that in some cases gear matters. Nowadays I own a 50-135mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, Tammy 17-50mm, Tamron 90mm, Pentax 10-17mm and a couple others that I use for shooting products and models in studio and events. In some situations the cleaner ISO noise will help my job I'm sure. Specially when shooting models in the field at 5 in the morning with natural light, which I did a couple of weeks ago.

p.s. and yes, the focus stacking (I did just once) is time consuming for a catalog. The Tamron 90mm is doing a very good job now.
If you do the math with same framing and DoF you'll see that you'll have to stop down one stop more on FF, and raise ISO one stop to compensate, thus no intrinsic advantage from FF.

Flash looks something I'd explore, even in the field. It's gonna be complicated because of reflections probably.

The Tamron 90mm is a fine lens
06-30-2018, 07:51 AM - 2 Likes   #397
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Death before decaf.
Indeed. Coffee nowadays gives me such agonizing heartburn, I've had to give it up. But I completely
fail to see the point of decaf. Not unlike un-alcoholic beer.

06-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #398
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I noticed that too and suspected that also. However in spite of that , would it be considered a Double entry (one entry per) and rejected as Adam said ?
Im sure Adam is quite familiar with the Auto-Post script and manipulation that can happen.
Sometimes it has happened to me as well, esp. in bad cellphone reception, and when clicking frantically thinking the ppst had not gone through.
I'd just delete one out of two, and bring in post No.51 etc.
06-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #399
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I'm sure the double posts will not count. But imagine if a string of say, 12 identical posts appeared. I merely question whether
using such a script is within the spirit of the game.

Edit: Hmm, thinking on it further, perhaps the double posts are the results of someone mashing on the 'Submit Reply'
button while awaiting the lag to clear?

Last edited by tvdtvdtvd; 06-30-2018 at 08:02 AM.
06-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #400
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Read the story and find out for yourself:

The time is 4:30am and bertwert was snoring away in bed, for some reason the alarm didn't go off and wake our hero (that's bertwert, by the way). Luckily, our favourite hero was too hot last night and went to bed with the windows open. Bertwert awoke to the sounds of birdsong, and even light streaming in his window, with horror he sat bolt upright thinking it was around 6am, which is when he usually rises, and that he had missed the raffle thread! However, it was not so; the time was 4:35am. The hero went down and put on the coffee, as he wasn't going back to sleep after he had his entry in the thread. Around, 4:50am he got to his desk and opened the thread, "Closed, as it should be" he thought to himself. He checked the number of users online; nearly 400! In a notepad, he wrote a limerick to copy and paste into the thread at it's time, but this limerick never met the eyes of other Pentaxians. Time is 4:59am. Reload, "Closed". Reload, "Closed". Reload, "Open!". Already onto the second page, as our hero does not have fast internet. Not to worry, he hastily smashes the keys: Ctrl, V. Our hero's well scripted verse is in the box. Since the time is 5am, Windows decides it is time for an update and a nice helpful popup "Would you like to update now or later?". Bertwert swears audibly as he hacked at the x in the corner. Back onto the forums, mere seconds later, he hits the post button. An error pops up: 'All contest entries are claimed'. Our hero had failed. He closed the forums, and sat dejected at his desk. He drowned his sorrows in his coffee, and thought to himself "Statistically I'm more likely to get into the second thread.
Thank you for your positive attitude, which I believe was the goal of this thing, and the way you contributed to our getting there.
06-30-2018, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #401
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you for your positive attitude, which I believe was the goal of this thing, and the way you contributed to our getting there.
Exactly!
That's the goal, have fun and bring in positive attitude.

This might have been more applicable earlier on this month:
06-30-2018, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #402
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Coffee nowadays gives me such agonizing heartburn, I've had to give it up.
Prevacid.

Once a day, everyday.

No more reflux (heartburn).

Still, I have adjusted my diet to reduce the likelihood of damage caused by reflux. We only get one esophagus, and without it eating is impossible.
06-30-2018, 08:03 AM   #403
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Anyone who has an entry (the first 50) in the first raffle thread is in. Yours is number 14 (subtract one for the first post by Adam).

See your successful entry here.
The reason I was asking is that, as I said earlier in the thread, clicking that link doesn't show my post -- it shows HippyHippo's duplicate instead (where my post should be, going by the post numbers). So I wanted to be sure.
06-30-2018, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Any member that makes 50 posts during the course of the month will be entered to win", or some such. 50 posts too much?
OK, make it 10. 1 post, however, seems trivial, but then again there's no way to prevent 50 trivial posts. However, I personally
don't care for the further restriction of only allowing 50 people into the final raffle, based solely on the luck of who's electrons
jostled in first.
TBH my first thought, when I heard about the raffle, was that it would be randomly selected from all those who posted that month - I don't see that the second step is necessary, but you run up against different problems whatever you decide - there are plenty of people who might not want a K-1 for example
06-30-2018, 08:10 AM   #405
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the double posts are odd.
What double posts?

I've gone over the raffle thread several times, and not one occurrence of double posts.

The only anomaly I see is the entries in excess of 50.
Closed Thread