Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 366 Likes Search this Thread
06-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #451
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
Someone else posted about their numbers changing too. So please look into that.
Well, I made a comment to that effect. When I submitted my reply and the screen finally refreshed, I recall my post as #48.
I then edited my post then went to the first page to read all the entries. When I got back to page 4, I then saw my post as #49.
No, I did not grab a screen shot of my post at #48. And no, I cannot say with absolute confidence that I really truly saw #48
through blurry, early morning eyes. And yet my memory tells me I initially saw #48.

06-30-2018, 11:12 AM   #452
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not doubting anyone's veracity

but remember

rumors are easily started and hard to stop

I've seen one post questioning whether the contest was rigged
06-30-2018, 11:26 AM - 5 Likes   #453
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
General suggestion to people who are working up to a tantrum about missing out on a raffle to win a camera:

Grow up.
06-30-2018, 11:34 AM - 4 Likes   #454
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Well, I made a comment to that effect. When I submitted my reply and the screen finally refreshed, I recall my post as #48.
I then edited my post then went to the first page to read all the entries. When I got back to page 4, I then saw my post as #49.
No, I did not grab a screen shot of my post at #48. And no, I cannot say with absolute confidence that I really truly saw #48
through blurry, early morning eyes. And yet my memory tells me I initially saw #48.
In situations where multiple posts are being logged at the same time, I think the database behind the scenes might take a moment to re-order them correctly. So what looks correct on your screen may not be correct and it takes the db a moment to reorder properly?

Just a guess. But there isn't any conspiracy here and what we perceive with our senses may not be accurate to the reality therein.

Your chances of winning this were very slim anyways... consider raffles like this a loss from the start and no one gets upset when they actually do lose. Plus, in the extreme unlikelihood that you do win, it makes the win that much sweeter since it will come as a total surprise.

06-30-2018, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #455
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I've seen one post questioning whether the contest was rigged
I missed that, and have no doubt it is on the up and up.
06-30-2018, 12:08 PM - 7 Likes   #456
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Im beginning to think this could be rigged.....I posted right at the moment the thread openned, it didnt post...
but then again, it may be my wireless is crappy, now have my computer hardwired, way faster posting now.
It most certainly is NOT rigged.

It's merely a case of a large number of members watching the clock and then trying to post near enough simultaneously. We've had more users logged on today at raffle time than we've had for years...
06-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #457
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
sorry folks....I was joking about the "rigged" remark. I know what is all involved when it comes to computers. My wireless is a bit sketchy, to be honest I point the finger to my wireless.
Now I am hardwired and when I post it records immediately, so I am now ready for the second round.

06-30-2018, 12:13 PM - 4 Likes   #458
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
In situations where multiple posts are being logged at the same time, I think the database behind the scenes might take a moment to re-order them correctly. So what looks correct on your screen may not be correct and it takes the db a moment to reorder properly
I'm certain you're correct.

For the benefit of anyone reading this thread, I can happily state that there is no-one behind the scenes manually re-ordering raffle entry posts or doing anything else to affect the outcome. Whatever happened (if anything did happen) would be as a result of the forum software and database back-end - not manual intervention.

There's nothing nefarious going on, folks... Just a very generous and utterly unbiased give-away from Adam, pure and simple
06-30-2018, 12:14 PM   #459
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

sorry folks....I was joking about the "rigged" remark. I know what is all involved when it comes to computers. My wireless is a bit sketchy, to be honest I point the finger to my wireless.
Now I am hardwired and when I post it records immediately, so I am now ready for the second round.
problem with conversing via the internet and posts

as opposed to face to face or even by voice

subtle clues which add meaning are lost

glad to see you weren't questioning the process as being possibly rigged
06-30-2018, 12:16 PM   #460
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It most certainly is NOT rigged.

It's merely a case of a large number of members watching the clock and then trying to post near enough simultaneously. We've had more users logged on today at raffle time than we've had for years...
This proves we have A LOT of lurkers to this board.

That and everyone likes free stuff.
06-30-2018, 12:17 PM - 4 Likes   #461
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While it is amazing how quickly the first part of the raffle filled up, I've no doubt that it's above board. Knowing that the chances of winning a big contest like this are nano-slim, I tried entering primarily to participate and show support for the Pentax Forums. That there's a nice prize that I have a CHANCE of winning is a sweetener. It didn't even cost a dollar .
06-30-2018, 12:21 PM   #462
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm certain you're correct.

For the benefit of anyone reading this thread, I can happily state that there is no-one behind the scenes manually re-ordering raffle entry posts or doing anything else to affect the outcome. Whatever happened (if anything did happen) would be as a result of the forum software and database back-end - not manual intervention.

There's nothing nefarious going on, folks... Just a very generous and utterly unbiased give-away from Adam, pure and simple
I know. I just wish it had not happened to me. or at all. To see me as #51 and thinking I was the 50th entry then check again and not #51 and was #55 just plain sucked. Talk about going from a high to a low. I did refresh the page a few times to make sure it really said #55.

Best make sure people are aware of this. Tell everyone to wait a few minutes to see what # they are in case this happens again. Nobody needs to go through that experience.
06-30-2018, 12:23 PM   #463
mee
Veteran Member

Btw if we win this in the USA, do we have to pay tax on it? 1800 dollar prize.. in my state, sales tax would be around 170 bucks.

If so, something to consider...
06-30-2018, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #464
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just to level set... I was using my laptop hard wired on a 1gbs port to a 300mbs cable ISP, and it lagged like crazy and I saw the post reply but i wasn't fast enough and got the dreaded all posts are in or whatever the language was. This is purely a matter of 1800+ users all trying to post simultaneously.
06-30-2018, 12:25 PM - 2 Likes   #465
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
In keeping with Mike's comments, everyone should know that we are all working to ensure that everyone gets a fair shot at this gig. Being a new process, there are bound to be some glitches, and as mentioned, due to the intense load on the servers, there appears to be a bottleneck.

So please keep up the positive comments.

And also, please avoid any negative remarks.

Thank you all,
Racer
Closed Thread