Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2021, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many days I need threads such as this so I can make a couple inane posts to get in the quota to enter the raffle. Easier than getting into the threads requiring more knowledge of how a camera sensor works.

05-11-2021, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, I'm not sure exactly how this works for Adam, our administrator, but quite often such raffles are funded on the basis of site traffic, and in that regard the content of the post doesn't really matter. As long as enough advertisements are shown, the income is generated and it will be profitable to organise a new contest sooner or later. There are also threads that are just about showing and discussing nice photos. They're easy to participate in.
05-12-2021, 05:02 AM   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
Well, I'm not sure exactly how this works for Adam, our administrator, but quite often such raffles are funded on the basis of site traffic, and in that regard the content of the post doesn't really matter. As long as enough advertisements are shown, the income is generated and it will be profitable to organise a new contest sooner or later. There are also threads that are just about showing and discussing nice photos. They're easy to participate in.
Some threads don't count towards the total, which is why I have so few entries. I have fallen foul of too many keyboard warriors lately so I think twice before posting or participating.
05-12-2021, 07:15 AM   #154
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HoutHans Quote
I wasn't going to say it, but yes. Actually this whole site is probably a nice little sum of revenue every month for his pocket. Not that this is a negative situation, but it isn't as if it was one of us who don't have a site pulling in $$ stepping into our pockets for these things.

That's got to be why the XXXXXrumors multi-site owner also runs the show. He has filled the site with affiliate links and codes plus the revenue from advertisements has got to be a nice chunk of change monthly/quarterly. It's a nice gig if you can get the ball running on user interest to make it work.

05-12-2021, 07:39 AM   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Some threads don't count towards the total, which is why I have so few entries. I have fallen foul of too many keyboard warriors lately so I think twice before posting or participating.
Which threads don't count and why?

Cheers,
Loyd
05-12-2021, 10:22 PM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I wasn't going to say it, but yes. Actually this whole site is probably a nice little sum of revenue every month for his pocket. Not that this is a negative situation, but it isn't as if it was one of us who don't have a site pulling in $$ stepping into our pockets for these things.

That's got to be why the XXXXXrumors multi-site owner also runs the show. He has filled the site with affiliate links and codes plus the revenue from advertisements has got to be a nice chunk of change monthly/quarterly. It's a nice gig if you can get the ball running on user interest to make it work.
It's indeed not negative at all; it just the way 90% of the internet works and if this allows us to engage in a raffle every few months or so, I certainly don't mind.
05-13-2021, 04:35 AM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
Which threads don't count and why?

Cheers,
Loyd
Posts in things like the single in challenge don't count towards the comp. Nor do social posts in the same area of Pentax forums, as far as I know it would be nice to see a definitive list though

05-14-2021, 06:17 AM   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't be too concerned about offending "keyboard warriors" by making a comment here. This is a free country and we all have the right to our personal opinions. Maybe it is my age, I am frequently politically incorrect, and get a few comments. I just pretend I'm a duck and the comments are water.
05-14-2021, 09:24 AM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
I wouldn't be too concerned about offending "keyboard warriors" by making a comment here. This is a free country and we all have the right to our personal opinions. Maybe it is my age, I am frequently politically incorrect, and get a few comments. I just pretend I'm a duck and the comments are water.
Sometimes, depending on my mental state at the time, it can be very challenging. I keep telling them "I'm no expert, its just what I read or happened with mine" but they still insist on pulling their boots on lol. The problem is, at that point my default fall back position is to tell them where I would like them to shove their heads, and our lovely mods don't like that lol
05-14-2021, 08:03 PM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sometimes, depending on my mental state at the time, it can be very challenging. I keep telling them "I'm no expert, its just what I read or happened with mine" but they still insist on pulling their boots on lol. The problem is, at that point my default fall back position is to tell them where I would like them to shove their heads, and our lovely mods don't like that lol
I can identify with your feelings. As I have matured, I often lose the filter on my brain and my mouth. Some days there are people for whom the supply of profanity is insufficient for my needs.
05-14-2021, 09:19 PM   #161
Pentaxian

I haven't come across to much keyboard warriors over here, to be honest. Together with an astro-forum and a woodworking forum I'm on, this is one of the most pleasant places to be. Some people can be rather direct in their languageAs to the forum posts counting towards the required number, I'm pretty sure that two posts in the same thread within a certain period of time, only count as one. Other than that, I'm unaware of any rules.
05-15-2021, 12:20 AM   #162
Pentaxian

My standard response to those who insist on entering into a battle of words with me :

'Thank you for your opinion, which you are entitled to hold, and I shall defend unto the the death your inalienable right to hold that opinion. However, in future, please do not waste my time, or your breath, telling me what it is. Thank you.'

BTW, it always annoys me when hoi polloi confuse sarcasm with rudeness.
05-15-2021, 09:40 AM   #163
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Posts in things like the single in challenge don't count towards the comp. Nor do social posts in the same area of Pentax forums, as far as I know it would be nice to see a definitive list though
What about the monthly photo contests? Do comments and votes count as entries?

Cheers,
Loyd
05-15-2021, 10:18 AM   #164
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

from Adam

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
For the purposes of this giveaway, only posts on the forum itself will be counted.

Prior events have considered reviews, social group posts, likes, and other content, but to keep things simple, that's not the case here.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/187-pentax-forums-giveaways/422516-get-r...ml#post5259191

I couldn't agree more. The idea of the comp is to encourage people to post. Quite a lot of these are interesting and have a point But you will always get people who are one short, or in my case, four lol. I think it's good to have an outlet for the comp posts then they dont clog up the serious discussions
oops

the discussions in the forums are suppose to be serious

shirely, you geste

Last edited by aslyfox; 05-15-2021 at 10:34 AM.
05-15-2021, 07:14 PM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
My standard response to those who insist on entering into a battle of words with me :

'Thank you for your opinion, which you are entitled to hold, and I shall defend unto the the death your inalienable right to hold that opinion. However, in future, please do not waste my time, or your breath, telling me what it is. Thank you.'

BTW, it always annoys me when hoi polloi confuse sarcasm with rudeness.
I get a bit sarcastic with some people when I tell them, "You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong."