Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2018, 04:15 AM - 2 Likes   #31
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Bummer indeed. I keep forgetting about the raffle threads so always too late. And if they fill up with people who have less than ten posts, chances to win are quite high.
as long as the minimum requirements are met, it doesn't matter

hate the game, if you must, don't dislike the participants

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-30-2018 at 04:26 AM.
07-30-2018, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
And if they fill up with people who have less than ten posts, chances to win are quite high.
Adam has coded it so that if you're ineligible you can't post. So the odds are 1 in 300.
07-30-2018, 04:24 AM   #33
dbs
Pentaxian

Well I thought I was on time but mr mozilla just did the circling blue dot and when it stopped it was all over.
Better luck tomorrow maybe

Dave
07-30-2018, 04:31 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Both times I tried I hit submit about half a second after it ticked over, both times I had to wait 30-45 seconds for the page to load, first time it was full, second time I was 33rd.

I suspect it's one part timing and three parts luck, I'm fairly sure it's fair though - at least as fair as they can make it.

07-30-2018, 04:36 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can you enter all threads or are you blocked once you got a post in one of them?
07-30-2018, 04:38 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
Both times I tried I hit submit about half a second after it ticked over, both times I had to wait 30-45 seconds for the page to load, first time it was full, second time I was 33rd.

I suspect it's one part timing and three parts luck, I'm fairly sure it's fair though - at least as fair as they can make it.
Much the same for me, this time I clicked as the second hand hit 12.

But others have said the same and missed out so I'm raising a glass to Bacchus St. Patrick.
07-30-2018, 04:42 AM   #37

Missed out on round 1
Round 2
Slow to post from Down_Under on a satellite service seemed to take minutes I got in at #74 then I dropped to #75 Hope I don't fall off the count altogether.

07-30-2018, 04:42 AM   #38
Forum Member

Whomever first noted that the forum spits out the time until the thread opens when you try to reply: thank you. I would never have gotten in otherwise.

I wrote a quick reply and posted, was told 03:02 until the thread opened. Started a stopwatch at the same time as the page loaded. Clicked "submit reply" from the advanced editor exactly as the stopwatch said 3:02. Got in as #30 first, #37 after a page refresh (guess the times there were close. I could probably have clicked a couple of seconds earlier (considering that the response from the server was sluggish even 3 minutes before), but I didn't want to take the chance of being too early.

Just for fun, I might set up my PC to ping the forum server and log the response times as the next thread opens. Currently the server responds in 122 ms (a bit slow, but likely due to me being in Norway and this server being ... in the US?), but I'm willing to guess that shoots up quite a bit under load. Not to mention the processing needed for the eligibility scripts in the forum software.
07-30-2018, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #39
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Can you enter all threads or are you blocked once you got a post in one of them?
once you are in, you are blocked from the other threads
07-30-2018, 04:55 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
the contest appears to be as fair as possible
I have an idea how to make it fairer. Instead of providing extremely narrow window of opportunity – seconds, if not milliseconds wide – to participate, how about making a ticket system. Any eligible user simply clicks a button, after that server stores information that this user has claimed his ticket. The winner is chosen from a list of claimed tickets.
07-30-2018, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
I must have done something right, it worked!
Yup, lighting candles near the modem/router is almost guaranteed to work
07-30-2018, 05:00 AM - 2 Likes   #42
smf
Pentaxian

For the benefit of anyone who did not see Adam’s post earlier in this thread, here it is again:

“Use the quick reply form. This prevents page reloads and will greatly increase the chance that you'll get in. I would start repeatedly attempting to submit the reply about 5 seconds before the actual start.

“The first raffle thread filled up after exactly 30 seconds, so you do need to be quick. However, we still have 225 raffle slots and only about 550 more eligible users, so your overall chances of getting in are high.”
07-30-2018, 05:08 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Yup, lighting candles near the modem/router is almost guaranteed to work
I'm an atheist, no candles for me just light bulbs.
07-30-2018, 05:12 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you are blocked, so if you got in on the first or second round you dont have to try again. Its better this way I think.
07-30-2018, 05:20 AM - 4 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

Do not fall asleep a half hour before a thread opens and wake up a half hour after another thread opens. I checked and that strategy didn't work. I didn't get in.