Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 60 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2018, 10:11 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What a Bummer

Within three seconds, I had entered the contest for the K-1. Three seconds, but no joy. Any advice to speed things up to two or even one second?

Csiz

07-29-2018, 10:13 PM - 2 Likes   #2

Right click on windows clock - settings - Internet time and write "time.google.com", sync thetime about 1-2 minutes before raffle time. This made me to be in the firest 10 posts today, I did clicked POST at 5.00 UTC exactly when it was 00.
07-29-2018, 10:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mccsiz Quote
Within three seconds, I had entered the contest for the K-1. Three seconds, but no joy. Any advice to speed things up to two or even one second?

Csiz
I have gotten in twice now but the first time took three threads. I really think it is luck that drives this. Your position in line in the internet matters some too but mostly just random chance I think. Easy for me to say right?
07-29-2018, 10:20 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I clicked right on 00 - took 45 seconds to tell me no - I guess it depends on your connection, how you hold your mouth, and stuff like that.

07-29-2018, 10:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It looks like my clock was running about 2 seconds fast. I tried to enter, had to click back and enter again. I was within a second of the start time, and I'm about the middle of the pack. You have about a second and a half to enter.
07-29-2018, 10:27 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Use the quick reply form. This prevents page reloads and will greatly increase the chance that you'll get in. I would start repeatedly attempting to submit the reply about 5 seconds before the actual start.

The first raffle thread filled up after exactly 30 seconds, so you do need to be quick. However, we still have 225 raffle slots and only about 550 more eligible users, so your overall chances of getting in are high.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I assume that if someone were to post at number 76 (for example) but one of the previous posters wasn't eligible, you'd automatically exclude the non-eligible poster and bump up the people who posted later?

07-29-2018, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just like Adam said. I posted a minute early because the thread tells you just how early you are, I then counted down and hit it 1 second after the time, just in case my count was out. I nailed number 47 as for timings, I hit the button ONE second after and still was 46th. This however is a good time slot for USA, and there are now 75 less people trying to join

---------- Post added 07-29-18 at 10:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I assume that if someone were to post at number 76 (for example) but one of the previous posters wasn't eligible, you'd automatically exclude the non-eligible poster and bump up the people who posted later?
Don't forget, Adams post is #1 so #76 is actually #75. I don't think the system will allow ineligible posters to join
07-29-2018, 10:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sqrrl Quote
I clicked right on 00 - took 45 seconds to tell me no - I guess it depends on your connection, how you hold your mouth, and stuff like that.
Do not forget about time, latency, and godzyllion of other people trying to enter. Measure the time impulse takes from the moment of button pressing, through CPU processing, then goes through your provider (you can check it with command ping Pentax Forums - The Ultimate Resource for Everything Pentax) and then add overloaded server. Last variable is non measurable for us, the others are pretty predictable.

Did not make it the first time, now I did my homework
07-29-2018, 10:41 PM   #10
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I just hit the lower submit button but that was the wrong one

Round 2 in 5hrs

Dave
07-29-2018, 10:41 PM   #11

Yikes. Glad to see this before I entered.
07-29-2018, 10:53 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Use the quick reply form. This prevents page reloads and will greatly increase the chance that you'll get in. I would start repeatedly attempting to submit the reply about 5 seconds before the actual start.
^^^^This. Precisely what I did for this raffle, and for June as well. If you're watching a clock strike 05:00 before you actually begin
the posting process, you're not going to get in. I began doing a lazy post at t-minus 30 seconds, noting the time remaining as reported
by the server. When the server came back and said 3 seconds remaining, it was pretty easy to count 1mississippi, 2mississippi, post.
You really need to anticipate the opening of the thread, not waiting for it.
07-29-2018, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I'm kinda glad I'm not too worried - people are gettin right scientific.
07-29-2018, 10:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

The first raffle thread filled up after exactly 30 seconds, so you do need to be quick. However, we still have 225 raffle slots and only about 550 more eligible users, so your overall chances of getting in are high.
Yup......this is what worked for me.
07-29-2018, 11:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

How many of you practiced yesterday???

My advice all along was to ignore Internet clock because we know from June that time returned by Thread is more accurate - it comes from only source that matters

Beyond this, it is mostly luck

Last edited by reh321; 07-29-2018 at 11:22 PM.