Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2018, 12:32 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
So what was the point of the entry threads again?
To show you would like a raffle ticket?

07-31-2018, 04:27 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like 300 was a bit too many raffle slots!
I disagree. I think it's better for the forums that the rules require a good amount of participation and weed out people who only show up for the giveaway, but don't actually contribute anything to the forums. Having the raffle threads is slightly annoying to me, since it penalizes busy people who might not have free time and a good connection to the internet during the right few seconds. Having the last thread stay open longer allows busy folks who participate and care about the forums to also have a chance to win, so I think the rules for the second giveaway were a great improvement. Having the clause that everything shuts down at midnight prevents the last thread and the contest from staying open that long anyway.

In short, I recommend keeping the same rules next time around. If you want to change anything, boost the number of required posts a little. That will make it harder to qualify, but better for the forums.
07-31-2018, 04:40 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guess all eligible people who wanted a K-1 had entered already. To be honest If i had won it I probably would have sold it to invest in lenses or one of my other hobbies, because I don't see what I would do with two k-1s. Can't hold both unless it comes with a left handed grip.
07-31-2018, 04:51 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlaird Quote
In short, I recommend keeping the same rules next time around. If you want to change anything, boost the number of required posts a little. That will make it harder to qualify, but better for the forums.
We're already getting complaints about 'cheap' or pointless posts - wouldn't that make the situation even worse??

07-31-2018, 05:03 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We're already getting complaints about 'cheap' or pointless posts - wouldn't that make the situation even worse??
I think the 'cheap' or piontless posts are more related to the total count of 40,000 posts and not the minimum 10 post limit per person.
Post one or two pictures in a group, participate in a weekly challenge, join one or two discussions in one month and nominate finalists of the monthly picture contest and you are already qualified, I think this should be posible without posting something totally pointless even if this number gets increased.
07-31-2018, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #51
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I think the 'cheap' or piontless posts are more related to the total count of 40,000 posts and not the minimum 10 post limit per person.
Post one or two pictures in a group, participate in a weekly challenge, join one or two discussions in one month and nominate finalists of the monthly picture contest and you are already qualified, I think this should be posible without posting something totally pointless even if this number gets increased.
" cheap or pointless " posts depends on who is judging them
07-31-2018, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #52
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

whether a post is " cheap or pointless " depends on who is judging them

07-31-2018, 06:07 AM - 2 Likes   #53
Pentaxian

I think the 'cheap' or pointless posts are more related to the total count of 40,000 posts and not the minimum 10 post limit per person.
Post one or two pictures in a group, participate in a weekly challenge, join one or two discussions in one month and nominate finalists of the monthly picture contest and you are already qualified, I think this should be possible without posting something totally pointless even if this number gets increased.
I guess that depends on your point-of-view. I saw a lot of posts out there of people saying in essence, after the requirement was mentioned to them, "I sure hope I win the K-1" in several different threads .... the appearance being that they were reaching towards the "magical 10". That is the type of post I was referring to. Whether you think those are 'cheap' or 'pointless' is entirely up to you, but that is the type of thing I was talking about.
07-31-2018, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If I'd have won it would have become another astrophotography camera.
07-31-2018, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m in
07-31-2018, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsingley100 Quote
I’m in
For what?
You do realize that the July Drawings were held last night??
08-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #57
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
It could, I agree, but I'm not sure how to measure the quality of a post very well. Perhaps you need to have a certain percentage of your posts quoted or liked, but that could be gamed if people team up to help each other.

The bottom line is that the contest should encourage people to post something useful. I don't like the raffle thread part of the contest as much because it doesn't relate to how well the user has helped the forums with interesting posts, it only relates to how well they do at posting quickly when a thread opens.
08-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #58
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlaird Quote
. . . I don't like the raffle thread part of the contest as much because it doesn't relate to how well the user has helped the forums with interesting posts, it only relates to how well they do at posting quickly when a thread opens.
with the new rules for the August contest,

you don't have to post quickly to get into the raffle

26 members who were the top posters in June and July are guaranteed a spot in the final raffle

if you post 80 180 times or more in August, you are guaranteed a spot in the raffle

if you post 10 times but less than 80, you then compete for one of 240 slots

your choice

remember that posts to groups or to the contest thread do not count

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-03-2018 at 03:24 AM.
08-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #59

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dsingley100 Quote
I’m in
Now that is what I call a pointless post
08-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #60
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

something of note from Adam:

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Guys, I've been getting some complaints from users who are experiencing disruptions in their browsing experience due to a flood of posts, mostly in the photo-sharing sections. While I'm excited by the enthusiasm and increased level of participation, I'd like to ask everyone to refrain from posting just to raise that progress bar

"Brute forcing" the counter is definitely not in the spirit of the giveaway, and while it hadn't been an issue in prior months, I may add a cap on spikes in activity if we continue receiving such feedback.

Thanks in advance!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/187-pentax-forums-giveaways/371814-offic...ml#post4393987