Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2020, 05:51 PM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Get ready for a Pentax KP giveaway in December! (this is not the raffle thread)

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Electric, for the shock value.

Back in the film day, most shooters were either Kodak or Fujifilm loyalists and it was an unspoken taboo to use both. What's the world coming to? Cats AND Dogs?

But I loved Ilford for my B/W and Ektachrome forever was real!

But WORSE.... I used Microdol to develop it!!

Hang up and DRIVE!

12-17-2020, 06:05 PM - 1 Like   #152
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
But I loved Ilford for my B/W and Ektachrome forever was real!

But WORSE.... I used Microdol to develop it!!

Hang up and DRIVE!
Yes, I get it. Which is why I'm not a one brand user of almost anything. Even in B&W, there were aspects of different brands and emulsions which had unique qualities.

I wonder how many millennials could explain where the term "hang up" comes from. Or how many silent gens (pre-boomers) would understand 'hang up and drive'. Maybe they had CB radios?
12-18-2020, 03:10 AM   #153

Photos: Gallery
Completing my daily post count for a new raffle entry.
12-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #154
Pentaxian

Hang up and Drive is because I have a gimp.... Old Biker!

Hang up and DRIVE!

12-18-2020, 09:58 AM   #155
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Your comment is appropriate for many Canon users that I've met and known. One in particular was so seemingly overwhelmed by the Canon 5D that he was a walking commercial for the camera. In his mind there was no camera better...until they introduced the Mark II. I imagine he felt the same when the next versions were released. I wonder what he is using now with the increase in pixel count and the FF cameras now available from Canon. A couple others that I worked with at the time also seemed to believe there were no better cameras than Canon. I took lot of ribbing/abuse about my Pentax DSLR.

I think some of the reviewers go a bit overboard on Canikons also. As example here is a quote from a 2018 review of the 5D MkII: "The sheer detail capture by the sensor is head-spinning, and it's difficult not to spend hours pixel peeping in Lightroom just to gawk over it." Hours of pixel peeping any image made with any camera? A bit overzealous in my book.
Wow. That... honestly sounds a bit too fanboy for me to comprehend. Especially coming as a user of the 5D Mark III I can say for certain that the editing latitude while good isn't mindblowing in any way shape or form. Pushing shadows anything more than +3 will yield green shift that is not present in the rest of the scene which is very tedious to correct.
12-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #156
Pentaxian

Your comment is appropriate for many Canon users that I've met and known. One in particular was so seemingly overwhelmed by the Canon 5D that he was a walking commercial for the camera. In his mind there was no camera better...until they introduced the Mark II. I imagine he felt the same when the next versions were released. I wonder what he is using now with the increase in pixel count and the FF cameras now available from Canon. A couple others that I worked with at the time also seemed to believe there were no better cameras than Canon. I took lot of ribbing/abuse about my Pentax DSLR.

I think some of the reviewers go a bit overboard on Canikons also. As example here is a quote from a 2018 review of the 5D MkII: "The sheer detail capture by the sensor is head-spinning, and it's difficult not to spend hours pixel peeping in Lightroom just to gawk over it." Hours of pixel peeping any image made with any camera? A bit overzealous in my book.
On a now defunct Romanian forum, the default recommendation to any entry level SLR buying advice was the original 5D. Because it was oh so much better, and would last forever or something. It could also survive an underwater dive.
Now we're told that we're "obsolete", clinging to our antiquated technology cameras. It's all extremely emotional and tribalistic.

Funny enough, IMHO the Pentaxians tend to be more open minded - despite people calling us zealots and so on.
12-18-2020, 01:11 PM   #157
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We ready....waiting....ZZZZZzzzzzzz......

12-18-2020, 01:59 PM   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
On a now defunct Romanian forum, the default recommendation to any entry level SLR buying advice was the original 5D. Because it was oh so much better, and would last forever or something. It could also survive an underwater dive.
Now we're told that we're "obsolete", clinging to our antiquated technology cameras. It's all extremely emotional and tribalistic.

Funny enough, IMHO the Pentaxians tend to be more open minded - despite people calling us zealots and so on.
I’d not call us zealots, we are just loyalist fans.
12-18-2020, 03:05 PM   #159
Pentaxian

I would say, we're just people who happens to like Pentax products. And not necessarily the same Pentax products.
12-19-2020, 12:16 AM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have seen the light ............ Through our lovely pentaprisms
12-19-2020, 01:36 AM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
We have seen the light ............ Through our lovely pentaprisms
Amen. I just don't see how anyone can use a pentamirror or EVF.
12-19-2020, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Amen. I just don't see how anyone can use a pentamirror or EVF.
I've always been a bit of a pentaprism snob myself, which is why I skipped the pentamirror models and made my first DSLR purchase a K-5. I am curious about the latest, high-pixel-count EVFs, but I would have to look through one before I'd even consider buying a camera that used one.
12-19-2020, 09:25 AM   #163
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I am curious about the latest, high-pixel-count EVFs, but I would have to look through one before I'd even consider buying a camera that used one.
I looked through one a year or two ago, and it wasn't bad. My concern is developing dead/hot pixels in the EVF, and the response lag when it comes to action shots. If timing is critical, using one could cause you to miss the shot. You could watch the action directly, but then you risk losing composure/framing.

OVF for life!
12-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
I've always been a bit of a pentaprism snob myself, which is why I skipped the pentamirror models and made my first DSLR purchase a K-5. I am curious about the latest, high-pixel-count EVFs, but I would have to look through one before I'd even consider buying a camera that used one.
I have looked through the viewfinder of both the Canon EOS-M100 and the Nikon Z7 under LED lighting in stores and had no trouble with either one.

I have used my Q-7 to photograph moving trains - the lag does bother me there, but I'm sure I could figure it out over time, although I might waste more frames.

Ricoh shows no interest in EVF, so I doubt I will ever own a camera with it.
12-19-2020, 10:03 AM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I have looked through the viewfinder of both the Canon EOS-M100 and the Nikon Z7 under LED lighting in stores and had no trouble with either one.

I have used my Q-7 to photograph moving trains - the lag does bother me there, but I'm sure I could figure it out over time, although I might waste more frames.

Ricoh shows no interest in EVF, so I doubt I will ever own a camera with it.
I have an evf on my Fuji X-E1. I can see the appeal, but it is an electronic component which can fail whereas my pentaprism is usable even if the camera is sleeping