Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2021, 04:01 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
yes but in this case Adam is claiming to already have one hence my question
I suspect it is safe to assume the warranty is non-transferable.

Steve

11-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I would be uncomfortable with anything involving “judging” or voting.
People can do so much in “PP”, that it can very quickly become mostly a contest of how much can be done after the photo has been exposed and/or what opportunities present themselves to the photographer.
11-15-2021, 02:48 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I like the idea of a photo essay (clearly since I proposed it) enough people seem to want to see a photo based random drawing. I propose:

1) One entry per day.
2) Catch-up entries allowed as per the recent post contest.
3) A dedicated thread to make keeping up with this easier on Adam
4) Give two entries into the Random Drawing for each photo if taken with a Pentax camera or lens
5) Give an extra entry if the photo gets a like (just one extra no matter how many likes.

Just my thoughts - feel free to pick them apart. 4 & 5 may be too much to include both - And 5 may be pointless if every photo gets a like because we are all such great photographers... lol.
11-16-2021, 06:17 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
While I like the idea of a photo essay (clearly since I proposed it) enough people seem to want to see a photo based random drawing. I propose:

1) One entry per day.
2) Catch-up entries allowed as per the recent post contest.
3) A dedicated thread to make keeping up with this easier on Adam
4) Give two entries into the Random Drawing for each photo if taken with a Pentax camera or lens
5) Give an extra entry if the photo gets a like (just one extra no matter how many likes.

Just my thoughts - feel free to pick them apart. 4 & 5 may be too much to include both - And 5 may be pointless if every photo gets a like because we are all such great photographers... lol.
I really like this idea. I would love it to be restricted to photos shot on Pentax, then it stops non pentaxians joining just for the prize

11-16-2021, 06:23 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I really like this idea. I would love it to be restricted to photos shot on Pentax, then it stops non pentaxians joining just for the prize
The downside is that a non Pentax user could join us by winning… but more likely they sell the body. I’m just spitballing.
11-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Same here, this seems a nice idea that appeals to the skills, activity on the forum and photography in general.
11-17-2021, 05:27 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The downside is that a non Pentax user could join us by winning… but more likely they sell the body. I’m just spitballing.
I worked in a local post office where two of the customers regularly sell their prizes, yep, they win that often they basically know how the algorithms work. They rarely want the stuff they win but enter because they know there is a market. That's why I am always relieved when a prize goes to a regular so, come the next give away, I will be rootin for ya

11-17-2021, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #23
-
Loyal Site Supporter

We also have to bear in mind that by making the competition closed to Pentax-only shooters, it's less likely to attract new members to the site, which is one of the benefits of these events. I know that most who join specifically for the competition won't stick around for long and / or may have no real interest in the keeping the prize... but a few new members will stay, and if a non-Pentax-owner wins, maybe - just maybe - they'll actually use the K-70 and stick with the brand...
11-17-2021, 07:54 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
We also have to bear in mind that by making the competition closed to Pentax-only shooters, it's less likely to attract new members to the site, which is one of the benefits of these events. I know that most who join specifically for the competition won't stick around for long and / or may have no real interest in the keeping the prize... but a few new members will stay, and if a non-Pentax-owner wins, maybe - just maybe - they'll actually use the K-70 and stick with the brand...
Back when Adam was giving away K-1 bodies, we were swamped by people who wanted only the body so they could sell it.
Some of them kept “entering” in the wrong thread, and I {and others - perhaps even you} had to give them instructions about how to find it.
Adam has adjusted the rules since then, it I don’t see us wanting them back.