Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2016, 02:39 PM   #1

Service Advice Sought (K5 IIs)

Hi all,

I've sent in my K5 IIs for repair to Connecticut. The autofocus wasn't working. Everything else is great. The standard repair rate is $210 or something. But I called them due to a "Delay" message on the website and they are now quoting $430 for replacing the main board, mirror box, and a couple of other things.

Financially speaking, what are my options here?

02-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it's that much, it would be cheaper to just buy a gently-used second-hand body (or maybe even a K-3), and sell the K-5 "as is".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dilip Quote
Hi all,

I've sent in my K5 IIs for repair to Connecticut. The autofocus wasn't working. Everything else is great. The standard repair rate is $210 or something. But I called them due to a "Delay" message on the website and they are now quoting $430 for replacing the main board, mirror box, and a couple of other things.

Financially speaking, what are my options here?
You can get a new K-3 (Adorama/B&H US$650) cheaper than a new K-5iis (Amazon US$700).
I love my K-5iis and would hate to make that choice ...
02-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just repaired one of my K-5iis bodies for $250 at KEH. But $430? I'd buy another used K-5iis on this marketplace.

02-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dilip Quote
The standard repair rate is $210 or something. But I called them due to a "Delay" message on the website and they are now quoting $430 for replacing the main board, mirror box, and a couple of other things.
Precision is not a flat rate shop. The initial quote is the minimum and it may go up from there. $430 for a main board and mirror box replace is about what I would expect...

Your options are pretty straightforward and all have been touched on above:
  • Get another repair quote and absorb at least one more fee for shipping in addition to the cost of repair
  • Buy a K-3 or K-2S new
  • Get a used K-5IIs or K-3

Steve
02-23-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
CDW
Site Supporter

I normally don't buy extended warranties. My exceptions are camera bodies and especially laptop/desktop computers.
02-24-2016, 12:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks all. Will take all the advice under advisement.